Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read numerous posts re: mono tubes and I'm not questioning the improved performance received from their installation. My question(s) concern lowering. My ride is a 2012 RG custom I do not want to lose clearance when cornering. I am running stock rims and tires (size wise) and do not plan to change. Everything I've read says that even the stock height monotube drops it an inch or am I misunderstanding the use of the term lowering.
I'm 5' 10" 200 30" inseam so I can flat foot no problem, 2 up wt runs apps 350.
Aggressive cornering so even 1 up floorboards touch down.
Given all this am I making a mistake getting monotubes and if not are the 31-2500 the ones I need.
Thanks

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
18 Posts
From what I am hearing off this forum. That part # is the kit that keeps your bike at stock height. The other kit is the 31-2501 which lowers the bike 1 to 2 inches.

·
Registered
8,398 Posts
I dont feel it lowered mine at all. I only used one spacer per side too. The kit comes with two spacers per side. Using only one per side lowered it 1/4 inch from full stock height.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I have the stock height kit installed with no c clips. This lowered the bike 1.5 inches.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
The FLTRX is an inch lower than the FLTRU anyway, yes? Perhaps progressive is going by the height of the ultra?
Actually the front forks are identical on both models, the 1" difference is only in the rear due to shorter shocks. To the OP, with the standard monotubes and both clips installed there will be very little or no change in height when sitting static. The big difference is when you push it into that turn the front suspension doesn't compress as much as the soft stock springs so your ground clearance remains the same or better.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Actually the front forks are identical on both models, the 1" difference is only in the rear due to shorter shocks. To the OP, with the standard monotubes and both clips installed there will be very little or no change in height when sitting static. The big difference is when you push it into that turn the front suspension doesn't compress as much as the soft stock springs so your ground clearance remains the same or better.
Thanks for the clarification.

Damn you guys and this forum... these are going on my Fall TODO list.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Varied opinions on this topic... this is one of the most accurate responses. Like someone posted above, I also talked with progressive directly. To add to this... the stock height kit can be used without the c-clips and lowers the bike aproximately .5" - 1" depending on the kit. The lowering kit gives you the option of lowering, in their words "1 or 2 inches", however, the taller option lowers the bike about 1.5" from stock height. You can add a 4th c-clip (1 more than instructed but included in the kit) to raise up an extra 1/4". Or the kit can be ran at its lowest setting for a pretty accurate -2" height.

Just throwing in my 0.02$ because I installed the lowering kit for -1 and it lowered mine more than I wanted with stock wheels and tires.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Mine is the -1 kit and I really like it. The handling and cornering are better and I sure dont miss the brake dive either. I have drug a floorboard a couple of times but otherwise its been great.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replies, The 2501 is indeed for the Custom per Progressive and the 2500 is the "Stock" height or the Ultra height. After discussing what I want to end up with and how I ride the Tech advised me to get the 2500 and not put in any clips ( pre-load Shims in his words) This would actually raise the height of the custom appx. 1/2 ". This is in effect a 1/2 drop from "Stock" height.
The reason for this is I plan to put a 12 1/2" rear shock. This would in effect "Level" out the bike again.

Having reached a decision I now looked at Videos, etc. on doing it.

Question to those who have done it, Did you all replace the fork seals and other than the crush washer on the bottom bolt any other items that I would be well advised to replace when doing this?
Thanks

·
Registered
8,398 Posts
Thanks for all the replies, The 2501 is indeed for the Custom per Progressive and the 2500 is the "Stock" height or the Ultra height. After discussing what I want to end up with and how I ride the Tech advised me to get the 2500 and not put in any clips ( pre-load Shims in his words) This would actually raise the height of the custom appx. 1/2 ". This is in effect a 1/2 drop from "Stock" height.
The reason for this is I plan to put a 12 1/2" rear shock. This would in effect "Level" out the bike again.

Having reached a decision I now looked at Videos, etc. on doing it.

Question to those who have done it, Did you all replace the fork seals and other than the crush washer on the bottom bolt any other items that I would be well advised to replace when doing this?
Thanks
No C clips will also make it less firm. Not as bouncy as OEM , but less firm than adding 1,2 clips. Just throwing that out there.
I replaced my seals because I'm anal , no real need to if you don't damage them. They really don't hold any oil in. You use about half the amount of oil as for OEM. The oil used for mono tubes is only for lubercation. I also replaced bolt & crush washer. You can make a fork seal tool out of PVC if you don't have one. If you want , you don't even half to desperate the fork. I did , but for each is own.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts