Road Glide banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok a few thoughts from my monotube installation. First of all the installation was fairly straight forward but was still a pain in the butt when you don't have a garage and only a carport. DO NOT USE A BALL END extended allen socket on the left side bottom bolt. It almost stripped out the head on mine which would have been a nightmare. I lucked out..... When progressive says 1" or 2" drop I'm curious what type of tape measure they are using! LOL I'd say its more like 1.5" or 2.5". Either way I'm still pleased with the result with my so called 1" drop that I went for to compensate for my 21" Hogpro wheel. Last but not least, I was skeptical of all the comments I had read about handling improvements...... Well I have to say HOLY CRAP!!! This bike now handles like a sport bike. It sticks to the road like glue and brought a huge grin to my face within the first 10 minutes of my ride today. IMO these are a MUST on any bike. Here is a picture although not a great comparison of before and after. Its hard to see in the pic but the cowbells now extend about 2" below the fender and the bike frame is level from front to rear. This is with the 21" up front and the stock rear. Don't hesitate if your thinking about this suspension upgrade and thanks to everyone on the forum for your help!!

Spoke Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Wheel

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Glad you appreciate the difference your monotube cartridge kit makes up front. I think they offer the best single improvement to the ride and handling quality of the Harley touring models. With properly set rear shocks a bike can be transformed in its handling characteristics.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad you appreciate the difference your monotube cartridge kit makes up front. I think they offer the best single improvement to the ride and handling quality of the Harley touring models. With properly set rear shocks a bike can be transformed in its handling characteristics.
I haven't changed the rear suspension yet but I plan on doing so once I can decide on the best option for the $.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wanted to ask, did you have your 21 installed before the monotube insalled? and if so did you have a wobble at 60+ before the monot tube? i have a bad wobble after all my upgrades harley did (21' frt 18' rear) they said the wheels are all in balance and neck is all tight. next step was to try the progressive monotube to fix this issue. any feed back on this would be greatly appriciated.
btw its a 2015 RG special

·
Premium Member
3,117 Posts
It is always nice to read a positive review of a product. I have had my mono tubes on for about 30k miles thus I avhe forgotten what a stock front end handles like. I think that I take them for granted. How about some pics of that gorgeous HogPro wheel?

Drew

·
Registered
498 Posts
It Monotubes on my 2012 rgu. Big improvement, especially with the touring link. Handles turns with ease. In the middle of mounting 444's right now, to complete the package

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Like Drew, I had Monotubes on my '11 FLTRU for so long (55,000 miles) that I forgot how the stock front end felt. Even with the changes on the '15 there is still considerable nose dive with front braking, compared to the Monotubes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.