Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Shark of the Quarter Apr-Jun13
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up my bike Friday night after having the Progressive Monotubes installed with a 1 inch drop. The ride home was great as I was truly impressed with the quality of ride my 2012 RGC CVO was exhibiting. I knew however the real test would come Sat as I was enrolled in the Advanced Riders Edge Course. Yesterday I spent 6 hrs on the bike doing lots of drills where I pushed the limits of my bike and my skills. My bike can now turns on a dime, has much more stability when swerving, and the nose dive when stopping quickly is basically gone. We all spend a lot of money making our bikes look sharp, not only does the stance of my bike look awesome it now rides better than it looks. This is officially my favorite modification thus far.

The class it's self is great, it forces you to do things on your bike you just would not do on your own. Now I plan on hitting a big parking lot from time to time with friends to do drills, keep my skills sharp, and hopefully win a little money in the process. Nothing is wrong with a little friendly competition:). I know we all are highly intelligent people as we own Road Glides, this also means we are all experienced riders and the Road Glide is not our first bike. If you really like to ride, pushing yourself, and your bike, take this course. You will not be disappointed and you get a insurance reduction as well.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
I was enrolled in the Advanced Riders Edge Course.. ..and the Road Glide is not our first bike.
If you really like to ride, pushing yourself, and your bike, take this course. You will not be disappointed and you get a insurance reduction as well.
I plan on taking the course also. But in my case my RoadGlide is my 1st motorcycle and loving it.

·
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The advanced course is a lot of fun. I am taking an advanced course taught by our local motorcycle cop instructor in a couple weeks. Should be interesting to see the overlap in material...

·
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did take a few pics and will upload tomorrow. The total cost was $680.00 for the monotubes and install. I did a quick ride today, around 100 miles and the onotubes were awesome..

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I did take a few pics and will upload tomorrow. The total cost was $680.00 for the monotubes and install. I did a quick ride today, around 100 miles and the onotubes were awesome..
Looks like this will go to the top of the list as my next mod... not sure if to drop it an inch or keep it stock.

Was the reason you lowered the bike due to the size of the front wheel you have?

Thank you again for sharing the cost and comments on how is performing.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Sounds good about the front end. What did that set you back and how hard is the install. Thx
You can get the montubes from Direct Harley Parts for (right now) $254 or $295 for the lowering. Installation only takes a couple hours and can be done in your garage. I'm no mechanic, but have a rudimentary knowledge of tools and bikes and I'm too cheap to pay someone over $300 for something I can do myself. Depends on your preference of working on your bike yourself (some do/some don't) or having a shop do it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Following for pics.

·
Registered
397 Posts
If you really like to ride, pushing yourself, and your bike, take this course.
I took the Advanced course on my CVO Springer and learned a ton! Made me a better rider. I asked the guy who set up the class (for Concord HOG) to set another one up this summer since I am now on an RGU. Can't wait to see what I can do with this beast! A wholeheartedly agree with you - if you have an opportunity to take this course - Do It!

And thanks for the Monotubes review...been thinking about it...dang it...more $$$!!! :D

·
Registered
354 Posts
Looks like this will go to the top of the list as my next mod... not sure if to drop it an inch or keep it stock.

Was the reason you lowered the bike due to the size of the front wheel you have?

Thank you again for sharing the cost and comments on how is performing.
It's my understanding that the -1" is stock CVO height. If you put the standard monotubes in a CVO you'd actually be raising the bike 1".

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
It's my understanding that the -1" is stock CVO height. If you put the standard monotubes in a CVO you'd actually be raising the bike 1".
...eh i dunno about that... Just the rear is lowered an inch not the front.
thats not entirely true either. the cvo sits the same as the roadglide custom. 12'' shocks in rear, standard length on the forks. however, the rear tire is an 18'' and it does raise the rear end of the bike about 1/4''

·
Registered
354 Posts
From the instructions provided by Progressive:

This [HD LOW] kit is designed to lower a standard FLH/FLT fork either 1” inch or 2” inches. Some models, such as SE or CVO models, have a 1” inch shorter fork from the factory – for these models the installation of the 1” inch configuration would maintain the original height and the 2” inch configuration would only lower the fork 1” inch from it's original length.

·
Registered
48 Posts
From the instructions provided by Progressive:

This [HD LOW] kit is designed to lower a standard FLH/FLT fork either 1” inch or 2” inches. Some models, such as SE or CVO models, have a 1” inch shorter fork from the factory – for these models the installation of the 1” inch configuration would maintain the original height and the 2” inch configuration would only lower the fork 1” inch from it's original length.
I can confirm this. My CVO is at the shop having the monotubes put in as I write this. Because the bike is already lowered by an inch from the factory, the 2" drop setting only brings it down another inch. That's what I went with.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
well, dang..... i had always heard that the front suspension was the same, and i couldn't find anything at hd that indicated otherwise.

learn something new every day :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
I can confirm this. My CVO is at the shop having the monotubes put in as I write this. Because the bike is already lowered by an inch from the factory, the 2" drop setting only brings it down another inch. That's what I went with.
UPDATE: I just talked to the shop. My bike is a 2012 CVO Road Glide Custom. They put the kit in with the two inch drop option... With the expectation that this would drop it by only 1 inch... this is per the instructions because it's a CVO. When the tech measured after buttoning it up, it actually dropped the front end the entire two inches. Based on this, the instructions are wrong, at least with this CVO Model. He's tearing it back apart to redo it with the 1" option. He said that the two inch drop with the raised fender would be too close and potentially bottom out.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
UPDATE: I just talked to the shop. My bike is a 2012 CVO Road Glide Custom. They put the kit in with the two inch drop option... With the expectation that this would drop it by only 1 inch... this is per the instructions because it's a CVO. When the tech measured after buttoning it up, it actually dropped the front end the entire two inches. Based on this, the instructions are wrong, at least with this CVO Model. He's tearing it back apart to redo it with the 1" option. He said that the two inch drop with the raised fender would be too close and potentially bottom out.
so here's an easy way to solve this riddle once and for all.... can one of you lucky bastards with the cvo measure your front forks from the bottom of the cowbell to the center of the axle? then we'll know for sure. cause dang sure aint gonna get accurate info from the dealer, they'll contradict themselves all over the place....

my stock forks measure 13-1/2'' from the bottom of the cowbell to the center of the axle....

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
my stock forks measure 13-1/2'' from the bottom of the cowbell to the center of the axle....
OK, not a CVO, but on my '11 RGU I installed the Monotube kit in the 1" lowered configuration except I used only 2 c-clips rather than the recommended 3, because my kit arrived with only 5 clips in the box.
My measurement from the cowbell to axle centerline is now 11-1/4", so way more than 1" drop. Yes, it's down in the weeds, but rides very nice without bottoming. I get a noise once in awhile that sounds like something hitting the fender but I cannot find what's making the noise.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
OK, not a CVO, but on my '11 RGU I installed the Monotube kit in the 1" lowered configuration except I used only 2 c-clips rather than the recommended 3, because my kit arrived with only 5 clips in the box.
My measurement from the cowbell to axle centerline is now 11-1/4", so way more than 1" drop. Yes, it's down in the weeds, but rides very nice without bottoming. I get a noise once in awhile that sounds like something hitting the fender but I cannot find what's making the noise.
brake lines hitting the fender. thats what mine does

1 - 20 of 21 Posts