Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to decide which lowering kit is better. A Monotube or Spring dropin kit for a 21in front wheel. Only want to lower a inch. I got a 2012 road glide.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Pros and cons man ...

The drop in spring kit is cheaper and easier to install. The monotube kit is more expensive and a complete fork teardown since you're replacing everything. Either one will be an improvement but I'd go for the monotube if you can swing it ... it's just better technology.

·
Registered
614 Posts
+1 on the Monotubes, they are a big improvement over the stock forks, your best choice.

If you cant do the Monotubes IMO go with the traditional lowering kit (that uses a short spacer spring under the damper to shorten the extended length of the fork) Im not a fan of the Drop In Lowering Kit, they seem to make the forks a little soggy for my taste. If you look at the way they work they just allow a controlled amount of sag in the forks and its not possible to preload the springs for rebound because the preload (spacer0 is what allows them to sag and lower the bike. if you use the old style lowering kits you can properly preload the springs for your weight.

·
Shark of the Quarter Apr-Jun13
1,053 Posts
I have a 21 inch wheel and have decided to go with the monotubes for the one inch drop as well. I am excited and looking forward to getting the work done...

·
Registered
102 Posts
If you drop in a set of Progressive springs you also want Race Tech gold valve cartridge emulators which would be a great set up for easy installation. For roughly the same price you can get the Progressive Monotube cartridge. I just ordered my Monotubes.

·
Super Moderator
12,348 Posts
Go with the monotubes, you will be happy, I went with the 2" drop myself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts