Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Shark of the Quarter Apr-Jun13
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I ordered Progessive Monotubes for my 2012 RGC CVO. I have a 21 inch front wheel and I wanted to ask how far should it be dropped to be even? Any guidance on what others have done with a 21 inch front wheel would be great.

BTW the dealership quoted a 4 hr install and I got them to give me a $55 discount. I know others are looking to do this and I wanted share what my dealer did so you can push for the same.

I appreciate the help...

Chad

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
What size was the stock tire? Need to know that to determine how much the 21 raise the bike.

For my stock 18in non-CVO wheel (130/70/18), a 21in wheel/tire combo will raise the bike about 1.25 inches. The lowered monotube kit gives you the option of 1 or 2 inches, (Although I've read some guys have cut the required spacers to go about 1.5 inches lower.)

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Never mind, just checked with HD specs - the stock front tire on your CVO is a 130/60/19. A 21in tire for touring bikes is usually 120/70/21. That's roughly 2.5 inches taller than stock which means it raised your bike about 1.25 inches.

A one inch drop will get you close.

·
Shark of the Month October 13
7,941 Posts
In most cases you want to drop the monotubes 1". It depends on rear wheel and tire combo, but generally, a 1" drop in front brings you within 1/4" of the stock ratios while preserving more fork travel.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Any pics of the final product? I want to do 21" also on my 2012 CVO RG and would like to get advice on all that I need to do.

Any help would be great! AND PICS !!!

Thanks

·
Shark of the Quarter Apr-Jun13
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey rat monkey,

Send me your email address and I will send over pics as I am on my cell and traveling. Having issues with my phone uploading pics to this forum...

·
Shark of the Month August 13
3,318 Posts
In most cases you want to drop the monotubes 1". It depends on rear wheel and tire combo, but generally, a 1" drop in front brings you within 1/4" of the stock ratios while preserving more fork travel.
I had the same question before I did the monotubes on my '12 custom. They say the custom (and CVO) comes lowered 1" front and rear, compared to the ultra. What I figured was if I did the -1" it would put me back where I was with the factory 18" wheel. If I did the -2" it would make up for the 1" "rise" from the 21" wheel and the factory 1" lowering......I did the full drop with my monotubes and it came out damn near perfect. Not sure I worded that in a way that was lunderstandable, but I hope I did lol :D

So in theory, if you have a custom (or CVO) with factory wheels and chose the "stock height" monotubes, would that not raise the front of your bike 1" since progressive specs these for all touring models not per specific application (ie custom, ultra, road king, Electra glide, etc)??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts