Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had an opportunity to ride a dresser today with monotubes in it,well needless to say that test ride will now cost me more money,could not belive how much better handling it was than mine,with very little dive under hard braking,so add that to the list of winter upgrades,this forum is a love/hate relationship.:D

·
Administrator
12,480 Posts
One of the best and most cost effective upgrades. .... as you have seen.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
LOL. That's a great post ... needless to say you're gonna love the Monotubes. BTW if you're going to SWIV, plan on adding to your list :D.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Yea, the Mono tubes are a must. I'm just trying to convince myself I really don't need the JRI's in the rear now. :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just put on the JRI's and now I'm thinking of doing the monotubes.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts

·
Administrator
12,480 Posts
Give up. You do need JRIs.

Suspension wonderful with monotube front and JRI ."b" rear.
+2, same setup I have.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
508 Posts
monotubes and Ohlins S36E rear shocks.....never thought it would make such a big difference in handling, brake dive etc. Don't leave home without them !! :D:D:D

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Just installed monotubes over winter and only put on about 50miles on the bike since the riding season started up here. I smile every time I carve a corner or hit a bump in the road, and grin when I come to a stop. No more sloppy front end! :D

·
Registered
259 Posts
Thinking of doing something similar although I am not sure what JRI's are, guess I will look that up. I just hope putting all this money into suspension upgrades is actually worth it. I know people who switched tires from the dunlops to the Michelin commanders and could not stop talking about the improvement in handling and tracking. I put them on and it's like eh they are tires I really dont notice a difference, same thing with speaker upgrades, and a stage 2 done on the motor. The best thing I have done to my bike so far after 50k miles is have the inner fairing painted.

I did notice the bike bottoming out last week on potholes and the stock shocks do not seem to hold air all that well anymore so hopefully this investment is worth it. I am looking at 944's but still researching.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Thinking of doing something similar although I am not sure what JRI's are, guess I will look that up. I just hope putting all this money into suspension upgrades is actually worth it. I know people who switched tires from the dunlops to the Michelin commanders and could not stop talking about the improvement in handling and tracking. I put them on and it's like eh they are tires I really dont notice a difference, same thing with speaker upgrades, and a stage 2 done on the motor. The best thing I have done to my bike so far after 50k miles is have the inner fairing painted.

I did notice the bike bottoming out last week on potholes and the stock shocks do not seem to hold air all that well anymore so hopefully this investment is worth it. I am looking at 944's but still researching.
JRI makes shocks. They're a lot better shocks than Progressive shocks.
If you try comparing upgrades to bucks spent, your never going to be happy, especially if you pay labor rates to have the parts installed.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Just contacted JRI and WOW $945???? Pffft While probably better I seriously doubt they are $400 better than progressives. Thats just insane IMO. I do most of my own labor. I would definetly do my own rear shocks but the fronts I would probably pay to have done.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
why wait till winter? you can do the monotubes in one day no problem.no need to pull the fairing.I did buy a Motion fork holder for the vise though.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Thats just it I have squat for big tooling and a work area. I have a small shed I keep 2 RG's in, no jack and have never done front forks. Is there a how to video somewhere I can view?

I can do the rear one at a time so thats no big deal but the fronts? I atleast would have to buy a jack and probably a special tool or 2?

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Thats just it I have squat for big tooling and a work area. I have a small shed I keep 2 RG's in, no jack and have never done front forks. Is there a how to video somewhere I can view?

I can do the rear one at a time so thats no big deal but the fronts? I atleast would have to buy a jack and probably a special tool or 2?
Here's a link from with instructions from one of our members.

http://www.roadglide.org/showthread.php?t=30538

You can also do a search on utube.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
for tools,I got a cheap 4 inch vise,less than 50 bucks,and a red sears jack for the bike.My garage at the time had a dirt floor and was more unorganized storage than a garage.So it doesn't take a lot of space or anything,I used to do all my work out in the yard.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Just contacted JRI and WOW $945???? Pffft While probably better I seriously doubt they are $400 better than progressives. Thats just insane IMO. I do most of my own labor. I would definetly do my own rear shocks but the fronts I would probably pay to have done.
Was that the discounted price for the cheaper JRI set of shocks ? I heard they're not much more than the Progressive's after discount.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts