Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
No, this has nothing to do with bootleg liquor.

Need to find a date for a one day, Saturday, run to the Moonshine Store. I am in need of a Moonburger.

This would be for locals around the central Illinois area, or who can get there in an early morning ride. We need to be at the Moonshine Store by 10:30 if you want to get a burger, the grill closes at 12:30 on the dot, no if's, and's or but's.

I figure two meeting points. Legacy HD in Effingham for those coming from the west, and Wabash Valley HD in Terre Haute for those coming from the east. Meet up at the dealerships by 9:00, KSU 9:15 for a flat run to Moonshine. It is about an hour from either dealer. Sorry folks, the roads in that part of Illinois are pretty flat and mostly straight.

Edit: Looks like Vincennes, IN is a good meeting spot from the south. No dealer, but it is also about an hour (per Google) from the Moonshine Store

I can come from the west. Need someone from the east who can lead the way to Moonshine, IL.

Need to find a date for this, Moonburgers are well worth the effort.
----------------------------------

Date is official, July 18th. Meetings are quasi official. The only one I will claim is at Legacy HD in Effingham at 9:00, KSU at 9:15. This is for folks coming from nearby, or from the West. Others are up to folks organizing from the other directions.

I booked a room at the Best Western in Effingham for Friday. Folks coming from the West are free to do the same if they wish. Lotsa hotels in Effingham.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Im in. What day are you thinking?

Dont like leading but would be agreeable to scouting the route ahead of time and in case of emergency could show the way. Terre Haute or Vincennes doesn't really matter.

·
Super Moderator
9,928 Posts
If I go , I can meet up in Vincennes ..

Been several years since I have done the big weekend Terry Hammond run ..

Think I have been talked out of that weekend :D

My issue is I need the Friday before and the Monday after off , and I have to put my days in for this year by the 15th :(

JtB

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I could meet in Vincennes or Terre Haute, either way works for me. Would even offer a garage and a place to crash for a couple of people. I live on the south side of indy. TH is about an hour and a half away via superslab, Vincennes a little longer but better ride, maybe 2-2 1/2 hrs.

·
Super Moderator
9,928 Posts
How far south of Indy are you Bleachy ?

Would it be too far out of my way to head to your place than hanging the left in Looeyville ..

PM me if you prefer

JtB

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I don't know if I can do this that close after SW but I'll try! Looks like an 8-½ one way for me so I can bust ass Friday evening after work somewhere, crash for a few hours and then meet up for the morning KSU. My biggest issue will be having burned all my time off. Is this just a Saturday lunch ride, hotels are your problem?

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
If it's the 18th I'm in. It may be better for people coming from the east to meet up at the Harley Dealer in Bloomington, Indiana, it'd be a lot better riding but I'm in either way.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
If it's the 18th I'm in. It may be better for people coming from the east to meet up at the Harley Dealer in Bloomington, Indiana, it'd be a lot better riding but I'm in either way.
Agreed the riding would be better, but it would also add about an hour and a half to the ride. Not that this is a bad thing, but would have to roll out a lot earlier to meet the 10:30 deadline.....

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Agreed the riding would be better, but it would also add about an hour and a half to the ride. Not that this is a bad thing, but would have to roll out a lot earlier to meet the 10:30 deadline.....
True Terre Haute is closer then Bloomington but adding to total time is relative to where you're coming from I guess. There'd be some pretty good riding for me going through Vincennes and hooking up with the guys from the south there. Most people think of Indiana roads as flat and straight but there's some crazy good riding in Southern Indiana! :D

·
Registered
860 Posts
Remember, coming from the east you will have an extra hour since you go from eastern to central time.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Remember, coming from the east you will have an extra hour since you go from eastern to central time.
Excellent point!!!!! Riding from Bloomington to Vincennes then to the burger place would be a nice ride, I can at least vouch to Vincennes, never been to the burger joint myself.

Southern Indiana is great riding for sure, much different than the more plain like northern part of the state.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I am 45 minutes from Bloomington HD. Again, if anyone needed a place to crash Friday or Saturday night I have room for a couple of people and can make room in the garage for a bike or two.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't know if I can do this that close after SW but I'll try! Looks like an 8-½ one way for me so I can bust ass Friday evening after work somewhere, crash for a few hours and then meet up for the morning KSU. My biggest issue will be having burned all my time off. Is this just a Saturday lunch ride, hotels are your problem?
Yes, mostly intended for folks close by. Anybody is welcome, but this is a Saturday Lunch Ride only.

Times have to be specific. The gal that runs the Moonshine Store is pretty specific, at 12:30 she shuts off the grill. Lines can get long at times, so folks who get there late are SOL. We want to get there early enough to make sure we get a burger, they are worth it in my book.

I tried to pick meeting points within about an hour of the Moonshine Store, according to Google. The idea is to get to the store by around 10:30. That should give time to meet up there and get in line. If it is a typical weekend, line should run about 1/2 hour+ to get to the front. Longer if there are bigger crowds.

Parking is a hassle and often times just plum loco. There is a grass field across the road, but often times bikes just line up on the roads, backed in to not block the road.

If you want to see the location, go to Google Maps and search for "Moonshine Store, East 300th Road, Martinsville, IL", then go to the Satellite view. That shows a weekday crowd. You cannot park anywhere you do not see cars and bikes (field on the southwest corner is out). On the official Moonshine Run weekend, bikes will be lined up on the roads for miles.

There are tables under the trees to the right of the store, and port-a-potties across the street in the field.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am about 25 minutes from Bloomington Harley. Looks like it is a two hour ride from there. You guys are right some really great riding in the southern part of the state one of the best roads down here is right at he end of my driveway hwy 43.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts