Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 604 Posts

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes, one needs to create accountability for one self by publicly proclaiming your intention to do something very important. In my case, I am morbidly obese and MUST lose weight; if I want to be around much longer.

My body is a basket case. A few highlights: ACL blown and rebuilt back in the 80's, significant 2nd and few patches of 3rd degree burns to face/head/hands from an explosion and fire a decade ago, and a few years ago I suffered sudden cardiac death from V-Fib. I'm 48 years old and I have an implanted cardioverter defibrillator, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, low thyroid, sleep apena, and I'm on blood thinners to help avoid a stroke due to heart arrhythmia.

So, I was in visiting my least favorite doctor a week ago, and he was very upset that I gained 20 or so pounds after losing that and more two years ago. He read me the riot act - I dreaded the visit, because I knew he would. Yep, he's a good doctor who isn't afraid to get up in my face to make a point. Anyway, after our little conversation, I signed-up for a physican supervised diet.

The diet is a program that starts as a diet, but transforms into a new and healthy lifestyle - for many people. In case there are those who are interested in details, I'll share a few:
Phase 1: Protein Only Phase. The goal of up to the first 4 days is to induce ketosis, which means that your body is burning fatty tissue, and your carbohydrate stores have been depleted. After a couple days, you start monitoring your ketosis levels with ketostix - little plastic strips that have a tiny square pad on the end you pee on. Yep, you diabetics know what of I speak. In Phase one, you eat 10 oz of very lean protein per day, in 3 servings. Chicken, fish, shellfish, egg whites, etc.. Let me tell you, by the end of day two, you are a walking zombie. I was ready to eat the flesh of anything alive or dead. Ok, I'm being dramatic. You also begin B12 injections and using a product called cell-press, which is a cellulose pill that reacts with water to expand in your tummy and make you feel full. Some patients can also use prescription medicine to boost your metabolism - I can't, due to my heart rythm issues. Oh, and you need to drink a gallon of water per day. Coffee and tea, black, is OK to drink. Thank goodness!

Phase 2: Combined Phase. Once you're in ketosis, you can add a 2-4 servings of veggies and certain fruits to your 10 oz of protein. One cup of raw or 1/2 cup of cooked veggies, such as asparagus, green beans, cucumber, peppers, mushrooms, spaghetti squash, etc... No beets, bread, carrots, corn, pasta, potatos, rice, tomatos, etc... The allowable fruit is 1 small apple, 1/2 cup of blue berries, 12 cherries, 1/2 grapefruit, 12 grapes, 6 strawberries, etc... No dried fruit. No diet soda, except those using Stevia as a sweetner. No Aspertame (Nutrasweet), milk, juices, creamers, etc... You can eat all the lettuce you want, but only 2Tbsp of dressing per salad, such as balsamic vinegrette that has no or very low sugars. You stay on this phase until you achieve your goal weight. If you happen to exit ketosis, you simply revert to phase one until you regain ketosis again.

Phase 3: Maintenance Phase. Now you have learned a new way to eat. The goal is to maintain your weight at healthy levels. You can't go back to your old habits, but you can add some "normal" food back into your diet. Keep watching the scale... If you start going porky, it's back to phase one. Moderation of carbs is critical.

During phases 1 & 2, you weigh yourself daily. You check you ketosis levels daily in phase one, and regularly in phase two to be sure you're still in ketosis. You end ketosis in phase 3.

The doc I'm going to is a former morbidly obese person, and he and his business partner (a diabetic) started "The Weigh Station" to help people who are moderately to morbidly obese and want/need help.

So, I started last Thursday (7 March 2013), and I entered ketosis on Sunday. I began adding my veggies Sunday night. My beginning weight was 367 lbs. Keep in mind, at ~10% bodyfat, I am still north of 220 lbs (I'm a former competitive power lifter - my wife was a competitive bodybuilder), but I do have a long ways to go for reasonably good health. As of this morning (Tuesday the 12th), I am down 14 lbs. Yeah! A little trouble with sleeping, but nothing horrible.

If you don't mind, I will post regular updates throughout the spring and summer, until I reach my goal weight of 250. If I can stay focused, I am expected to be at my first goal before Thanksgiving. Publicly proclaiming all this is very difficult for me, but the doc believes it is critical for my success to have accountability to those who I respect. Call me out if I am not posting, if you dare or care to help me be accountable.

I'm sorry if I have offended anyone. I'm sorry if this is the stupidest thing you've ever read and you feel like you lost a few minutes of your life for nothing. If admins don't feel this post is worthy of remaining on this site, go ahead an kill it, hide it, or burn it. After writing this, I'm still not sure I want to click the submit button. Grrr, man.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Not a stupid post brother, if posting helps you stick to the diet do it. I love this site because it feels like the people here care about the members, not just their bikes. I'm rooting for 'ya.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Get healthy bud. You've got some years left if you do. I have a friend that is 5'6" tall and weighed in at 210lbs. Chubby little guy. He got his mind frame to get fit and within a year he was down to 165lbs and is in great shape. Diet and exercise. Today he's back up to 175 but he's all muscle.
Point is, he got motivated and stayed motivated to this day. We're all very proud of him.

Sounds like you've got your game plan going. Stick with it and get healthy. Keep the updates coming for future words of encouragement. Heard this on the radio the other day. Now whether the Vet wants you to start exercising or not is up to him but keep this in mine,

getting fit does not take time, it makes time by adding years to your life!

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Good for you for taking this seriously. This diet is making its way across the nation with great results. My uncle lost 85lbs with a very similar diet. And the health benefits are amazing. I'm not on an extreme diet but watching what I eat and trying to live a little healthier lifestyle. I wish you the best of luck and don't hesitate to reach out. Set yourself some goals and reward yourself. Like that next mod you want, get it when you lose 30! Good luck!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Good for you trying to get things under control. A lot of the pts I deal with just want another pill or a magic fix. Nothing worth doing is easy. I'd you get things under control your heart will thank you and the box in your chest won't have to do anything except monitor.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Post away I am at 228 and need to loose 40 lbs so less keep each other challenged.What do you say we post our weight each monday on your thread Will call it supportive competition.We are killing our self with food.If this is not something you wish to do it is okay.I wish you the best.I am using Herbalife diet.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Good on ya! I have a few buddies that are exactly like you! One in Cape Cod lost a ton a fews back. Unfortunately he went thru a pretty bad diviorce snd gained bsck. I have another buddy in NJ and he needs what you are doing in a BAD way! Post all ya need to keep yourself honest. Feel free to PM me or any other of your friends whenever you need! This is probably the most important decision you've made in a long time. Best of luck to ya!

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Brave post, got my respect.

Saw you post of your wife on your bike the other day, good motivation.

Kidding aside I wish you much success. Also a former power lifter & almost 55 I know what a struggle it can be. We're used to being big, just a little too comfortable with it maybe.

I'd wager you'll find more support here than you'd have thought.

·
Super Moderator
12,315 Posts
At 48 you should be really starting to enjoy life, and I'm glad you have a Dr. who gets up in your face. Not a stupid post at all, and if there are some who think you should keep this to yourself, well all they have to do is go on to the next thread. I admire your courage, and being a body builder at one time, you have to use some of the discipline that you have inside, I'll be here to cheer you on and keep up with your progress, I'm subcribing to the thread. :)

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Good on ya gr8bigdude. Before long you're gonna have to change your handle. Something like 1stud4u or 2thin4mybritches. ;) Nobody here thinks yours was a dumb post. Most I'm sure respect you for having the intestinal fortitude to do it. Get well.

·
Super Moderator
5,851 Posts
I think its great that you are being accountable. Posting this up is a good start for you and Im sure you'll find it helpful. And like Skid said, you may just help someone else in the process.

Frankie & I have both been in similar situtations as you and opted to have gastric bypass. . I feel better now than I ever have in my whole life. Surgery isnt for anyone but it does work if youre willing to do the work. Regardless of the route you take, just know that you arent alone and many of us here are always more than willing to help if at all possible.

Good luck on your journey and keep us posted. Regardless if its a good or bad day.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
But then you will have to change your name to GR8 slim dude and that doesn't sound right!! Good for you though for doing this publicly. It never hurts to put yourself out there and ask for help. Even if it's just us checking in with you from time to time to see your progress.
I am subscribing so I can hold you accountable....... :)

·
Super Moderator
1,776 Posts
Mr. gr8bigdude,

Good on ya for puttting it all in print. Takes a measure of a man very quick.

367 down to 250 is going to be tough, doable but tough.

You've completed one of the hardest steps there is for anyone, admitting publicly that you have a problem and deciding to deal with it instead of burying your head in the sand and hoping it will go away.

I am a diabetic that is also obese. 307 was my highest weight on a 6 foot frame. down to 270 or so now. Fortunately I can workout on a regular basis and have been doing so now since September.

You keep moving ahead and doing what it takes but be healthy man. Post here often, you will not be ridiculed.

Challenge for SWIII. Which one of us can make the skinniest splash in the pool eh :D?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Man, once you posted this you made a huge step. I need to shed about 40lbs myself. Maybe we can start to do this together. Your courage has given you a great advantage because you have acknowledged. I will be here to help you Bro!! Good luck and stay with it, you have many years ahead.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Good for YOU!
My son dropped 65 pounds on the high protein, low carb diet. I lost a bunch too and my numbers improved.
It is amazing how quick the fat drops off. In a month or so people start noticing and that is a great motivator!
It is not all about diet...get out and walk a little. A dog helps.
Cheers man...Good for YOU!

1 - 20 of 604 Posts