Road Glide banner

41 - 60 of 604 Posts

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Big time kudos to you for publicly stating your situation. I've personally benefited from letting others know what I was going through when times were bad. Having a support group and not fighting alone is very important. This is an awesome forum and the help here doesn't stop with RGs. I surround myself with people who are fighting similar battles. It makes it a lot easier to be successful. I'm a COPD patient because of choices I made that I have to live with. You can do this if you want and are willing to get the necessary help. I wish you the best and look forward to hearing about your progress.

·
Gray Beard
1,521 Posts
This is really an inspirational thread i'm subscribing just to see how you do ... I'm writing this as both my knees and my back hurt like hell because the Mrs. has motivated me to start get'n back into shape .... How you ask ? ever heard of that Insanity workout on TV? well I gotta tell ya I haven't been this sore since Hell Weeks back in Football !!! I say this because I ordered it online as my wife requested and being the net challenged guy I am, ordered 2 of the damn things and can't return it... well I would like to offer it to you BigDude shoot me a PM with your address and i'll ship it to ya! and if your thinking you can't do it i'll email ya pictures of my buddy doing this work out(to the best of his ability) and he's 400+

If you want, no strings attached, just don't give up !!!

·
Administrator
2,681 Posts
Good luck man. you can do it.

I managed to drop around 50lbs last year and have been able to keep it off so far. my goal is another 10-20 before July this year.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was in the same position you were in on feb 26 2012 scheduled a trip to sturgis hadn't been on the scales in about 15 years. Ex weightlifter myself. I weighed in at a whopping 412 pounds. I also knew that if I didn't do something sturgis could be my finale ride. I joined the gym started slow. Cut out the diet pop. Watched my carbs and added meals to my daily plan and started the protein. I wanted to give up several times cause of mere love of comfort food. Rode this August in sturgis at 280. Today I woke up 249. Still have 30 to go but all I can say is its very worth not giving up. And it is very achievable. I can't till you how I look up to you for bearing your soul on here. But that attitude will get you there. Just give it time and push through.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Shark of the Month July 13
3,145 Posts
Awesome post! Looking forward to your updates. Take a picture of yourself (clothed) now for this post so when you roll into the parking lot at SWIII you can blow us away with your success!! Shopping for clothes will be fun when you notice your size dropping. Hanky panky with your wife will be more fun too :p

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
3,813 Posts
Keep it up. I was 312 lbs 2yrs ago. I started to eat better & worked out. I was able to get down to 260lbs. Then I did what so many do, STOP the Diet. I went all the way up to 299lbs. 5 mons ago I looked in the mirror & HATED what I saw. Today I'm 228.5. That's 70.5 lbs I lost & still want to shed some more. Hang in there gr8bigblue.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Good luck! I think eating a clean diet is one of the most important things you can do, and it sounds like that's part of your plan. It sounds like you have lots of support from all of us here.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hi gr8bigdude,

What an AWESOME start !!!!! I absolutely LOVE ALL the inspiring stories in this thread !!!!

Like you, i was at a turning point in my life. 3 years ago when i got real sick and was VERY close to death with a staph infection, i was in the hospital for almost 2 weeks, which gave the doctors a chance to read me the riot act. I was 425 (5'11") at the time. Like you i was also diagnosed with sleep apnea and diabetes . I never really went on a diet, just learned HOW to eat !!! Portion control and soda was my biggest issues !!! My lowest weight was achieved a year and half later, at 295!!!! Exercise was also one of my biggest helpers !!!!! Since then, i have put some back on, due to a torn rotor cuff and surgery. I am now all healed back up and ready to get serious again. I am now at 315. Seeing your post has re=inspired me !!!!!!! Perhaps we can be each others coach's !!!!!

GOOD LUCK my friend !!!! You are on your way to a better you !!!

·
Registered
708 Posts
SOB this forum surprises me more and more every day. I am in the same boat and need to do some life changing myself. It's time for me to change too.

gr8bigdude you have inspired me. Count me in, I am on board with you because of you AND the members on this forum. Everyone who posted to support you here is a testament to how great this forum is. You all have inspired me as well.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Monday weigh in's is great! Remember some weeks were not going to loose weight but keep trying! Started at 345 last month! Doc had me at 330 Monday, ill see you all monday

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Power to you Mr, I went the gastric bypass root myself 2 years ago,6'6" 450lbs now 275 lbs.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I commend you for being able to go to a public forum and post about an issue that is so personal. That take really big balls. Not many people are of that caliber. Stay positive, stay motivated and as others stated set goals and rewards for yourself. By the time you're happy with yourself you'll probably be extremely happy with all the rewards you've piled up, and if those rewards are RG related you'll have one bad ass bike.

Another thought to ponder..... I had a friend who dealt with the same issue as you and to keep himself motivated he would not only weigh himself daily, but he'd strip down to shorts and photograph himself, from the front, at the same spot, in his house, everyday. Over the course of the first 30 days you could scroll the pictures and really notice the change. You couldn't really notice day to day because you and your loved ones see you every day, but you know what they say "a photograph is worth 1000 words." Today he is 120 less (190), has an entirely new wardrobe, and is a real lady killer, lol.

I wish you the best of luck and if you ever need encouragement we're all here for you because this is indeed the best community of people and I consider many here to be my extended family

·
Registered
47 Posts
2006- weight= 339lbs.
2009- weight= 152lbs.
Today-weight=156lbs.
I did a Rue en Y with the duodenal switch in 2006 after trying everything else in the preceding 20 years. It has been the single best thing I have ever done for myself!!
It doesn't matter how U lose it, just lose it and live again. The change is amazing, from little things like being able to tie your shoes EASILY. Everything that I do is much easier to accomplish, as far as work goes, I am able to actually do my work faster, better, and fun is involved in my life again.
Instead of reasons why not, I find myslf not going there anymore, I CAN do it all now!!
Good luck, work it and talk about it here and everywhere else so that EVERYONE knows and can help if U need it.
Pete

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Post away my friend. Nothing wrong with it especially if it helps you maintain your accountability. Feel free to post up status as you go as well. Hang tough, the outcome will be well worth it.

Rowdy

·
Registered
290 Posts
Man I commend you for putting yourself out there, I am a formally morbidly obese man, I was 483 pounds in 2010, I woke up one day and said enough is enough, I began a make shift diet and exercise program where I counted every calorie that went into my body and rode a stationary exercise bike after work everyday, I have since lost and kept off 300lbs, it is not easy by any means, it takes focus and dedication and as I am finding out, losing it was the easy part, keeping it off is just as hard if not harder. I think you putting yourself out there for accountability is an amazing idea, I had my best friend pushing and working out at the same time with me because he wanted to lose weight as well, we made it sort of a friendly competition, which i may say I waxed his ass!!! lol. either way, if you feel like you cannot do it or need that extra umph, hell even if you want some of the recipes that I still use to this day, pm me, I will give you my cell and you can call on me anytime, I know you do not know me from Adam but if I can help anyone defeat the weight demons I will.

41 - 60 of 604 Posts