Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But maybe insightful for some.

So I have a 2012 RGC with the standard height Monotubes with no C clips. I am not liking the ride so much and I do not know if it is because I need a C clip or two. Mostly what I don't like is while in a corner and hit a dip/bump it seems to bottom out or close to it and induces a slight oscillation in the bars, maybe back and forth one time.

So today I did some measuring

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The first pic shows where the zip tie ended up after a 20 mile ride with a couple of purposely hard brakes. The tie is 6CM for the tip of the fork bell.

Attachments

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
This photo is with the bike off the ground and it shows 8.3CM
While the bike was up there I checked the swing and it is perfect.

Attachments

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So my question is does anyone have any comparison measurements?
Does this sound/look right?

Oh I should say the other measurement when I sit on the bike is 5.5Cm

·
Registered
8,759 Posts
250 here, one clip, and never bottom out. Sorry, no measurements.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Need some help here fellows. Before I throw baby out with the bath water.

·
Registered
8,759 Posts
How do I measure what you need ?

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How do I measure what you need ?
Thanx Big Gary

First thing I did was tie a zip tie on the fork like in the phot bu just below the cow bell. Then I took it for a ride and made sure I had a couple of hard brakes to compress the forks some. This slid the zip tie down to the lowest point. Then I measured it with the bike standing up (not on side stand. Then I sat on the bike and had my wife take a measurement again from the cow bell to the zip tie. Next I lifted the bike and made the same measurements. That's it.

I am just trying to get some reference points.

·
Registered
8,759 Posts
Thanx Big Gary

First thing I did was tie a zip tie on the fork like in the phot bu just below the cow bell. Then I took it for a ride and made sure I had a couple of hard brakes to compress the forks some. This slid the zip tie down to the lowest point. Then I measured it with the bike standing up (not on side stand. Then I sat on the bike and had my wife take a measurement again from the cow bell to the zip tie. Next I lifted the bike and made the same measurements. That's it.

I am just trying to get some reference points.
No problem. I get you the measurements by this time tomorrow.

·
Registered
8,759 Posts
Here's what I did. I put a tie strap around the right slider right up against the cow bell before I left work. Rode home about 25 miles with some hard front end dives. Drove into my garage and got off bike and took a measurement on the kick stand. - 6.6 cm. I then jacked up the bike off the ground and measured again.- 9.0 cm. I then dropped the bike back on the ground and slide a 2x4 under the kick stand to keep the bike upright and measured again. - 6.2 cm. Then I removed the 2x4 and sat on the bike , bounced the front end a few times and
took an other measurement on the kick stand .-7.2 cm. I then sat on the bike and held it straight up, bounced the front a few times and had the old lady measure.- 5.1 cm.
hope this helps ya bro.
BG

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's what I did. I put a tie strap around the right slider right up against the cow bell before I left work. Rode home about 25 miles with some hard front end dives. Drove into my garage and got off bike and took a measurement on the kick stand. - 6.6 cm. I then jacked up the bike off the ground and measured again.- 9.0 cm. I then dropped the bike back on the ground and slide a 2x4 under the kick stand to keep the bike upright and measured again. - 6.2 cm. Then I removed the 2x4 and sat on the bike , bounced the front end a few times and
took an other measurement on the kick stand .-7.2 cm. I then sat on the bike and held it straight up, bounced the front a few times and had the old lady measure.- 5.1 cm.
hope this helps ya bro.
BG
Thanx Big Gary are your mono tubes standard height with 1 clip? I need to think about the info you provided.
How would you describe your ride, smooth, harsh, firm, comfortable...?

·
Registered
8,759 Posts
Yes, standard height , one clip . I would say the ride is firm but not harsh. So far I never bottomed out the Mono tubes, even when the rear air shocks bottomed out.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Right now I am not sure what's going on, the measurement differences do not seem that dramatic to suggest something is not right. I did not do the install, I had the local dealer do it, but I do not think the mechanic ever did it before.

Anyway when I am into a turn going between 65 and really freakin fast if I hit a dip in the road I get an unsettling oscillation in the bars. I also still have the brake dive that many claim to be all but gone after Monotubes. Granted the brake dive is not terrible but it is still there.

Still looking for the answer....

·
Registered
8,759 Posts
The brake dive does not go away, its just not near as spongy as oem. The tec at Progressive told me that no clips was close to the oem feel, 2 clips being the firmest.

Have you checked your fall away on your triple trees ?

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Check the fall away every time the bike is in the air. It is perfect every time. I do have the "40mph hands free slow down wobble"; we should come up with a catchy acronym for that.

·
Registered
8,759 Posts
I never had that wobble except when my air pressure was low in the tires once.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Check the fall away every time the bike is in the air. It is perfect every time. I do have the "40mph hands free slow down wobble"; we should come up with a catchy acronym for that.

Don't use the test procedure in the service manual for fall away testing. Get the updated one from the dealer as midway through 2012 this changed with a service bulletin release. If you have a wobble at 40 slowing down there is an issue in the steering head bearing. Get that fixed and you'll be golden.

If your dealer can't find it let me know and I'll dig it out of my book next time I'm in Carolina.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

1 - 20 of 23 Posts