Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to install a 3rd Amp on my bike. Has anyone done more than two? I have one amp powering the front speakers, one amp powering the rears, now looking to add a third to power a sub. What "channel" do I run it from?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Administrator
12,452 Posts
I have three amps, one for the OEM speaker position, one for the lowers and inner fairing, and one for the saddlebags. I'm thinking about getting a fourth for some sub woofers. I'm running Hawgwired CS 300's they all fit in the fairing, if I do decide to get a fourth it will also fit in the fairing. I have a 4 channel Sony HU with extra outputs for a sub woofer, I have two channels going to the front two amps using a Y connector and the other two channels going to the rear, of course if I go with subs that amp will be on the output for the subs.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a HW RS400 powering stock holes and lowers, a pbr 300 powering saddlebags and tourpak. My problem is, I'm out of outputs from the stock head unit. The front channels are going into the front amp, the rear channels are going into the rear. Is there a way to add another amp to the stock head unit?

·
Administrator
12,452 Posts
I have a HW RS400 powering stock holes and lowers, a pbr 300 powering saddlebags and tourpak. My problem is, I'm out of outputs from the stock head unit. The front channels are going into the front amp, the rear channels are going into the rear. Is there a way to add another amp to the stock head unit?

Use a Y connector, or if you're not using RCA connections, make a Y splice. One output to two amps.-

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
353 Posts
My ? Is how does the stock charging system do with multiple amps??? I'm looking to run components in stock local,coaxial in lowers and 6x9 in lids. Was thinking either jl400 for the fronts then maybe a Rockford for the 6x9's. Or 3 HW amps. One for each set of speakers

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
my charging system take a pounding since I added my second amp

so, I'll say, yes, but it seems like a bad idea, but I know that means, will it work, let's try..

I'd like to try a mono amp to a sub, maybe one day, I'll see yours work out

don't you already have plenty of sound with 8 speakers?

CS/RS are small but you need WAy more power to drive a sub, unless you have an engineered enclosure built, and even then, you still want the extra power

like 5:1 times the power for subs, at least 3:1

and then you are doubling the power you have now to match in the lows, stator alert

I dunno, sounds like a fun time

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Currently, my charging system is good. I assume I'll have to upgrade it at some point.

@h-donut- I'm looking at installing a small (6.5") Kicker sub. Maybe a Kicker mono amp to drive it as well.

Plenty of sound? Sure, my stereo sounds great! Enough sound? NEVER!

·
Administrator
12,452 Posts
I was a little worried about power consumption also, all I'll say is check the specs on the amps you want. With a 4th Hawgwired I'll still be good. :)

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
516 Posts
my charging system take a pounding since I added my second amp

so, I'll say, yes, but it seems like a bad idea, but I know that means, will it work, let's try..

I'd like to try a mono amp to a sub, maybe one day, I'll see yours work out

don't you already have plenty of sound with 8 speakers?

CS/RS are small but you need WAy more power to drive a sub, unless you have an engineered enclosure built, and even then, you still want the extra power

like 5:1 times the power for subs, at least 3:1

and then you are doubling the power you have now to match in the lows, stator alert

I dunno, sounds like a fun time

I just bought speaker lids and I'm planning on running 2 PBR 300x2 with Polk MM651 and Polk MM691 in the lids.... How do the Fosgate amps do on power consumption? Or should I look at a different 4 ch amplifier? What's you thoughts...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Running 2 rockford PBR 300x4 in my bike now with no problem thus far (knock on wood) deck is a jvc avx77 love it does everything I could ask for. Speakers are Focal: 2 sets of 6.5's a set of 5.25 and 6x9's don't think there much more sound needed lol. I think you will do fine with the pbr basically.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
for a sub I do feel you need extra power - whether it's a PBR500x1 or something else, should be 2-3k max amp, mono

there's a way to click a button on the MS-60 and simulate a sub

I got stuck on that mode last week by accident

it's a good wide separated sound, but not enough power once you mix in the fronts and attempt to obtain riding volume, get's lost, needs more bass, if that makes sense, where as a full channel it's a screamer and just sounds full

then on top of that, our headroom cap as it stands

if a sub is a serious consideration, a decent farrad capacitor or larger battery seems crucial

multiple small amps are good because space is so tight, the more you covet that stock storage, the bigger the challenge.

for that third amp, unless you are building an array or tang band bouncers which draw less juice, most subs need power

PBR300x2 was and is still some decent power, around 185-195w RMS per side, so easily drives 2 6.5's or a watt hungry oval 5x7 or 6x9

I'd say work backwards, doing the math, getting the loudest cleanest projection in the areas you think work for you, then find the power you need to match that.

my system is 750w RMS and starts to hit the battery harder at about 650w or 32 amps with 6v spikes or tops out, never gets muddy, just tops out

90% of my anyspeed usage is at 400-600w

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kicker has a couple of smaller subs and those are more of what I'm looking at. They have a 6.5" and an 8" sub. They handle 150 watts continuously(6.5). I'd start with something like that.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
I kind of roughly guestimate the about 22amps is about all you can draw before robbing your bike of charging, and that seems about right

I'd like some kickers also to 'play' with and try different stuff

there is no rule about the number of speakers you can run, other than ohm's law

I actually thought that 8 speakers would sound nice on the front 2 channels, before I thought about wanting the control over the different sound compartments, i.e. fairing, bags, in your case your pak also

are you planning on running the third amp in the tour pak, porting or running them in the stock locations or both, they also have the dual voice 8" ?

·
Registered
664 Posts
I have two hawg wired PSC3004 (so i guess there is 6 total "amps" up there) and the only way I would add one more is if I got another bike for touring. my Fairing is FULL with the 4 speakers up there. so the only option that is left is the saddlebags

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
I have two hawg wired PSC3004 (so i guess there is 6 total "amps" up there) and the only way I would add one more is if I got another bike for touring. my Fairing is FULL with the 4 speakers up there. so the only option that is left is the saddlebags
You don't ride that bar hopper anywhere anyway :D

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
referring to peak of 30amp fuse, I've never had to replace it

and can notice a difference in how many volts are on the dial from one time to the next

it's probably closer to 2amps constant, you are correct, with a 3 amp overall system shutdown, labeled 30 amp due to the 12v/110v conversion charts

a bike amp says 1000w when wall power amp would be around 5w, magical

1 - 19 of 19 Posts