Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Shark of the Quarter Apr-Jun13
1,053 Posts
Honestly I never ride than more 9 hrs at a time. I have never done an Alaska type trip and never been under really tight time constraints. So my body communicated loud and clear my personal limit is around 9 hrs... However I would like to do an Ironbutt now that the weather is really nice in Oklahoma..

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ihave stayed awake 31 hours straight to goto bikeweek worked 2nd shift , then left when i got home went to bed finally around 9 pm next day

·
Registered
955 Posts
Longest time awake period or longest time riding without sleep?

I once worked 32 straight hours. Including wake up and commute time to and from work I was awake 35 or so.

Longest day in the saddle was in 2007 on a Border to Border Ironbutt ride: Mexico to Canada in under 36 hrs. Rode 1150 miles (all non interstate) from El Paso, across the river into Juarez, Mexico to Sturgis. Other than gas and food stops it was non stop for 19+ hours.

After a few hours of sleep I finished the B2B by crossing into Canada at Ambrose, ND with 18 minutes to spare.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Honestly I never ride than more 9 hrs at a time. I have never done an Alaska type trip and never been under really tight time constraints. So my body communicated loud and clear my personal limit is around 9 hrs... However I would like to do an Ironbutt now that the weather is really nice in Oklahoma..
Just a suggestion on doing your first Ironbutt ride. It's best to do one as close to 21 June as possible. That's the summer solstice and the most daylight hours of the year. Leave as early as you can manage- 4 or 5 a.m. at the latest. Head west. When the sun rises it'll be at your back. By noon you'll be at the 500 mile mark and be turning around for home. When it begins to set it'll be at your back.

You being in Tulsa, a Saddlesore 1000 should be pretty easy. Once you get to I-40 you can make great time. If you leave early in the a.m. you'll be home well before dark.

My last Saddlesore a couple years ago was completed in a little under 14 hours. Gotta love the west Texas 85 mph speed limit on I-10!

·
Super Moderator
5,856 Posts
FrankieB, MyrtleB & I did a little under 1100 miles from Kansas City, KS & back to meet up with some of the finest members this board has and to eat some of the best BBQ KC has! 22 hrs total

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
longest awake on the scoot and riding ?? about 20hrs I spose

longest awake period ?? quite a few times in the Navy , between 72-96 hours

JtB
That must have been before you put on the Khaki. Nobody stays awake that long after eating a meal in the Chief's mess:D

For me, about 48 hours in the Marines on operations.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Longest awake time - 48 hours..mainframe crash when in USAF..Took us 5 days to rebuild her..

Longest saddle time - 16 hours..850 mile trip..stopped quite a bit for caffeine and leg stretching..Would do it again, new seat and highway bars would help in reducing the stops. (= more mileage)

·
Registered
463 Posts
47 hours, in the Navy, on my submarine, on a sensitive delivery op I can't talk about for another 55 years (by which time I'll be quite dead).

I was probably 25.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Longest time awake was due to being by my wife's side during a recent medical scare and surgery that had complications. 4 and a half days. Then for the next 3 days after she was out of the woods (docs gave her and our baby a 50/50 chance for the first few days), I only slept 6 hours.

Aside from that, I am an insomniac, so it's fairly routine for me to go a day or two without any sleep.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Back in my truck driving days, I drove for 40 hours straight a few times. On the bike I rode from Vancouver, BC to Sturgis, that was 27hrs with a few stops along the way. I don't have the stamina I used to have, but I can still pull an all nighter in the cage if need be.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Longest time riding, 19 hours. 900 miles approximately. I did stop for coffee and stretching quite a bit. I could have kept going but a friend in the group had to stop for rest.

working...... 32 hours. that sucked!!!

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Dang you Vets

LOL to the Vets. Sometimes sleep just isn't an option, and 36 hour days are normal routine. Amen to Chief's Mess food, and thank goodness for a coffee pot that never empties!

·
Super Moderator
10,192 Posts
47 hours, in the Navy, on my submarine, on a sensitive delivery op I can't talk about for another 55 years (by which time I'll be quite dead).

I was probably 25.

Dont werry if you do live 55 more , they will just remind you not to talk about it for another 75 or so . Did some stuff was 'something that never happened' and was hushy for thirty years , told me a few years back to add thirty to it

JtB

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
In recent time, I did an IBA Bun Burner this past June: 35 hours of riding (counting fuel & rest stops, but no shut-eye) - but was awake close to 50 hours straight for that little adventure.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
That must have been before you put on the Khaki. Nobody stays awake that long after eating a meal in the Chief's mess:D

For me, about 48 hours in the Marines on operations.
37 for me but thank goodness a few of you Marines were right there too... y'all would NEVER have let me forget it if I was the one who fell asleep.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts