Road Glide banner

Would you join a 1k ride in 24 hrs to set an IBA record for most Road Glides?

• Yes

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Chief Safety Ossifer , CEO Doofus HD
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"Most RG to do 1k in 24hrs" & military charity

Friends - let's make riding history by having the most Road Glides to ride 1k miles in less than 24 hrs. As most of you know, this would be an Iron Butt Association SaddleSore. *** And let's raise money during it to donate to a worthy military charity.

I've organized several large IBA rides - including the 2009 IBA World Record for the largest group 1K and largest group 1k inside VA - that was 385 finishers.

So let me know if you are interested and I'll start the organizing with the IBA.

The route will start near Washington DC.

I'm looking at May at May at the earliest.

DOOF

·
Registered
629 Posts
Sounds good to me. I did 650 hung over in a half day coming home to NC from Biketoberfest, so I think I can handle the 1K, and can't think of a better way to do it than with a school of sharks!
Thanks for the creative thinking Doofus!
Ian

·
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thnx pal - I'll keep you in the loop - we can pull this off -- my hope is that others who have wanted to do a IBA 1k in 24 will take advantage of this easy opportunity. DOOF

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
could you do a bunch of different starting points across the us? everyone starts at the same time (adjusted for timezone) and goes their own route?

i probably wouldn't be able to do it (the actual ride, i've done ss1000 before), so i'm just thinking outloud here.....

·
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No. That's one aspect of the IBA rules we can't fudge - start & finish have to be together - but - as with the 400 riders I had in 09, the riders DO NOT have to ride down the road together because that is unsafe - joint starting is critical. Thanks for chiming in !!! DOOF

could you do a bunch of different starting points across the us? everyone starts at the same time (adjusted for timezone) and goes their own route?

i probably wouldn't be able to do it (the actual ride, i've done ss1000 before), so i'm just thinking outloud here.....

·
Registered
8,759 Posts
Starting point is in DC but where will it end ?

·
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm still working out options for either:
- ONE WAY 1k or
- OUT & BACK for 1k
There are a few easily approved IBA routes - for group rides, the fewer turns the better - easier to certify.
DOOF

Starting point is in DC but where will it end ?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Sounds great. Good luck w/the planning.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Many people told me I should have certified my ride down from Alaska with the IBA. I did 1,012 hard miles down from Fairbanks, AK to Deese Lake, BC. I found the IBA rules too cumbersome to mess with. Gas receipts, affidavits, notes from mommy, whatever. My Spot Connect clearly plotted my route realtime. I have my memories,the video, and countless images. Don't need a patch.

·
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Excellent. Being happy with your rides is the most important thing. This ride will have limited paperwork because of the arrangements I have with IBA. DOOF

Many people told me I should have certified my ride down from Alaska with the IBA. I did 1,012 hard miles down from Fairbanks, AK to Deese Lake, BC. I found the IBA rules too cumbersome to mess with. Gas receipts, affidavits, notes from mommy, whatever. My Spot Connect clearly plotted my route realtime. I have my memories,the video, and countless images. Don't need a patch.

·
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So true. Earliest possible is May -- but I'm waiting to get a consensus from members and I need to coordinate with IBA. As with every year, we'll need to contend with:
- Mom's Day
- Armed Forces Day
- Memorial Day
- Dad's Day
- July 4
etc, etc.
But we'll getter done!!!

Would you consider doing it in late June? The 21st is the "longest daylight" day of the year.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Count me in. I got my patch on a 2007 stock 883 Sportster, why you ask? Cause I can. Can't wait to do it on my big girl! Will you be limiting it to only RGs cause I have a buddy with a SG that really wants to get his Iron Butt award. Keep us posted

·
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thnx all - so the response is pretty slim as you can see. Let me think on some options. DOOF

·
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'd hate to foul up the Shark Week plans - those guys put in a lot of work. I'm thunkun some ideas...................

could we some how tie this into shark week?? the bikes would be there 500 miles out and back just a thought

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
I'd hate to foul up the Shark Week plans - those guys put in a lot of work. I'm thunkun some ideas...................
undrstandable didnt even think about that heres another idea i dont know how many bikes you need but we get all the east coasters to ride to richmond wich is pretty much middle of the coast and about 1,000 give or take 20 wich is no big deal to pick that up.then its north or south to home if theres interest, i would like to par take in the ride but im not going 1,000 out of my way either and i dont think many will.all the shark riders will be in one place i think thats your best bet if it can be worked out/in or put it off until next year and make it part of shark week 3 and GO BIG!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts