Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what I'm looking for is this winters bike tear down and what direction I should go in to keep up with my brother in laws vtx1800. Is it possible to do this and still keep the longevity of my motor or am I gonna be rebuilding things every so often? Right now he is stock but will be adding in a full intake/exhaust system and fuel management with dyno tune. Already he completely blows the 103 away so am I looking at a 107/113/124 or do I need to go big and look at the 131? I still need rideability but Im a little tired of watching him burnout in second as he blows past me.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I used to have a 1800C and that thing pulled like a locomotive. But at that time there were no internal mods available, so I'm not sure if he can do cams or anything like you can.
The arms race for more power never ends, so as always, the most important factor is your budget.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
they are around 90hp and 100 torque so a high output 107 would give you the edge.. Anything more than that would be gravy..

·
Administrator
2,681 Posts
I think there have been a number of folks who are getting around 120/120 from the 103 or 107.

I was thinking of dumping a few bucks into the motor and doing a FM 107 kit. I'd like to be around 120 / 120.

·
Registered
412 Posts
You're comparing 2 totally different bikes?? Bolt about a 150 pounds of tourpak, lowers, fairing, and saddlebags to his VTX and see if he can keep up with you!

Lay back, listen to the stereo and enjoy the ride while he stops every 45 minute to give his butt a rest and pick the bugs from his teeth, and remember, when you get to the bar, the chicks won't be flocking to the VTX!!

Reactions: rider17

·
Registered
852 Posts
You're comparing 2 totally different bikes?? Bolt about a 150 pounds of tourpak, lowers, fairing, and saddlebags to his VTX and see if he can keep up with you!

Lay back, listen to the stereo and enjoy the ride while he stops every 45 minute to give his butt a rest and pick the bugs from his teeth, and remember, when you get to the bar, the chicks won't be flocking to the VTX!!
That's good advice right there...

but cams, exhaust and a good tune will put you right there with him

·
Registered
179 Posts
You make a good point but, how nice would it be to have the extra weight from the items mentioned and still be able to bust his ass all while listening to your stereo. Nothing as fun as beating family...

·
Registered
1,546 Posts

VTX will still keep up without a issue. I miss my vtx, more comfortable and much quicker then stock harleys.

·
Registered
412 Posts
VTX will still keep up without a issue. I miss my vtx, more comfortable and much quicker then stock harleys.
I had a VTX in the past, fun bike, BUT.......... if I added 150+ to it no way it would run with my current Glide (cams, air cleaner and V&H Big Radius 2 into 2, and PV5, about 108/115) and it definitely was not even close to the comfort level of the Glide, not even in the same ballpark!! My CVO Dyna also would have kicked it's ass, bone stock.........

·
Registered
270 Posts
I rode my vtx 1300c for 14hrs from ohio to putter banks, great bikes. After going from that to a concours 1400 that dynoed at 156hp I have realized that nothing will make my hd fast. But I sure like the radio

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
264 Posts
...but cams, exhaust and a good tune will put you right there with him...
No it wont. I have cams, exhaust, tune, compression bump and still cant keep up with the bone stock one that a fellow rider in my club owns. Its gonna take a 107 at least...and maybe even some head work. At least that's what my plan is for this fall...

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
So what I'm looking for is this winters bike tear down and what direction I should go in to keep up with my brother in laws vtx1800. Is it possible to do this and still keep the longevity of my motor or am I gonna be rebuilding things every so often? Right now he is stock but will be adding in a full intake/exhaust system and fuel management with dyno tune. Already he completely blows the 103 away so am I looking at a 107/113/124 or do I need to go big and look at the 131? I still need rideability but Im a little tired of watching him burnout in second as he blows past me.
Who cares... Yours is still better looking.:D

·
Registered
1,860 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
I rode my vtx 1300c for 14hrs from ohio to putter banks, great bikes. After going from that to a concours 1400 that dynoed at 156hp I have realized that nothing will make my hd fast. But I sure like the radio

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Yep +1, i use to have a Kawa ZX11 that was fast (not as fast as today SB) but still fast compare to my RG, but my RG does give me that smile in my face every single time i ride her :cool:, not so much my ZX.

·
Registered
136 Posts
A hot 107 will get you close, but will still be just shy due to the weight disadvantage. I had one in a dyna that would smoke a VTX or V2000. But, the bagger is giving up a good 200 pounds over the dyna. 120r or 124 would be a pretty safe bet making 130/130+. But, the longevity won't likely be there. Depends on how hard your ride it though. Good luck!

Mike

1 - 20 of 77 Posts