Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks, my 09 RG motor has been cutting out when out for rides. I will be out cruising usually 30-60 mph and then just a quick sputter/backfire and motor will pick up again. I can feel the backfire and notice the radio will power down then on again which makes me think it is electrical. Very random and sometimes happens and sometimes not so I think it would be tough to diagnose or tell a shop to fix as it may not happen for them. I have checked most obvious connections, battery, ECM. I have been playing around with maps in my Powervision and have even taken the PV out to see if that was the but still happens with it removed. Any suggestions?

TIA

·
Registered
6,647 Posts
Are there any DTCs ???

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Are there any codes? Is it a skip or misfire?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok going to check codes and pushed od reset button and held for 10 secs, now nothing, no power when I turn ignition? Did I put it in travel mode?

·
Registered
6,647 Posts
Did you read the stickys in the troubleshooting section on how to access your DTCs?? Holding the reset button for 10 seconds is not the way to check for DTCs.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I realize that. I thought I remembered how to check DTC codes so went to garage and pushed odo reset and held for 10 seconds and now no lights power, ignition etc. What did I do?

·
Registered
6,647 Posts
That is the front and rear cylinders having no combustion. That is usually a spark plug or spark plug wire problem, I wouldn't think it is coil related because there is no DTC referring to the coil. You could also have a ignition switch or run/stop switch shorting out.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thnx Ironmark, It looks like I had a short somewhere from the battery. I have checked all my grounds and retightened the connections for the positive cable to the fuse box and motor. I did pull the plug wires off, inspected, cleaned and re-connected. I will take for a test ride and report back.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
The fact that it shuts the radio down for a second leads more to an electrical interruption like would be caused by an ignition switch or loose connection in the main harness.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As it turned out I had a loose positive wiring harness that broke and went to great indy shop and after 2 hours of diagnosis he soldered the cable back to new and it ran like a champ. The harness broke just before the starter connection. Something I may not have been able to find myself. Guy never charged me a dime and put new plugs in for me as well. Kudos to Custom Cycles in Bragg Creek.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
That's awesome man. Glad you got it taken care of. Sounds like you may owe the shop some beer and pizza for that one.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes I am sold on his shop and will be back. I could have spent hundreds of dollars without his help. I think I may owe him a keg!

·
Registered
6,647 Posts
Glad you got it fixed!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts