Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Shark of the Month December 2013
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you that follow my build thread know that i recently purchased a stage 4 kit. Well ill start from day one on it.

I installed the kit along with a set of Woods 777 cams and woods lifters. I put the screamin eagle perfect fit pushrods in it that came with the stage 4 kit. Everything seemed fine by turning it over by hand. A few days go by and i take it to my buddies where the tins are getting painted to start putting it together, I got it far enough where i could try to start it and the motor just spun over like it had no compression. Well i started checking things like spark and fuel. It came down to the pushrods being too long and holding the valves open. So, i take a trip to the local harley dealer and buy some screamin eagle adjustable pushrods. Get them installed and the bike starts up real quick but is rattling in the topend. All what seems to be coming from the back cylinder. Well, I immediately kill it thinking i ruined something and called Fuel Moto. They tell me that the lifters need to be primed up and its normal.

I start the bike back up and let it run for a few minutes and burn all the finger prints off of it. The noise never went away or got quieter. I adjust on the pushrods once again just to double check, everything seemed good. Let it sit for a few minutes while i put some other stuff together to come back, start it, and still noise.

So, i pull the rocker box off the rear cylinder just to verify nothing is hitting and i turned the motor over with the starter with no plugs in it and it sounds perfectly fine. Nothing hits or anything. Im seriously stumped at this point. I know noone can fix it over the computer but does anyone have ANY idea what my noise is? Its definately in the valve train cause its fast and gets louder as i rev it. Also, the bike seems to run damn good other than the noise. I revved it a few times and it seems to have really good power but the noise. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
809 Posts
As some of you that follow my build thread know that i recently purchased a stage 4 kit. Well ill start from day one on it.

I installed the kit along with a set of Woods 777 cams and woods lifters. I put the screamin eagle perfect fit pushrods in it that came with the stage 4 kit. Everything seemed fine by turning it over by hand. A few days go by and i take it to my buddies where the tins are getting painted to start putting it together, I got it far enough where i could try to start it and the motor just spun over like it had no compression. Well i started checking things like spark and fuel. It came down to the pushrods being too long and holding the valves open. So, i take a trip to the local harley dealer and buy some screamin eagle adjustable pushrods. Get them installed and the bike starts up real quick but is rattling in the topend. All what seems to be coming from the back cylinder. Well, I immediately kill it thinking i ruined something and called Fuel Moto. They tell me that the lifters need to be primed up and its normal.

I start the bike back up and let it run for a few minutes and burn all the finger prints off of it. The noise never went away or got quieter. I adjust on the pushrods once again just to double check, everything seemed good. Let it sit for a few minutes while i put some other stuff together to come back, start it, and still noise.

So, i pull the rocker box off the rear cylinder just to verify nothing is hitting and i turned the motor over with the starter with no plugs in it and it sounds perfectly fine. Nothing hits or anything. Im seriously stumped at this point. I know noone can fix it over the computer but does anyone have ANY idea what my noise is? Its definately in the valve train cause its fast and gets louder as i rev it. Also, the bike seems to run damn good other than the noise. I revved it a few times and it seems to have really good power but the noise. Thanks in advance.

Check the inside of your push rod tubes for marks, a nut maybe hitting. Also make sure you are adjusting the push rods correctly, motor at TDC, zero lash, proper number of flats for the lifters and PR you have, proper bleed down,etc.

·
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This noise is too loud and coming from the very top so i know its not a nut hitting. I have adjusted the pushrods three times on that one cylinder. I only did the front once. The weird thing is, it dont make the noise while turning it over. Only while its running.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Check the inside of your push rod tubes for marks, a nut maybe hitting. Also make sure you are adjusting the push rods correctly, motor at TDC, zero lash, proper number of flats for the lifters and PR you have, proper bleed down,etc.

Check to see if the rockers are hitting the rocker cover. Loosen the rocker cover bolts, lay your hand on top of the cover and spin the motor over. if the cover is bouncing around you've got a problem.

Do a compression check, entirely possible that when you had "too long" pushrods in there one of the valves got wacked by a piston.
With the throttle plate blocked open you should see 180lbs+ compression.

·
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The second part is possible but i turned the motor over with my hand and the wheel and didnt feel any problems.

·
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also know its not piston to valve clearance because its too fast. Its def up top and a valvetrain noise.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That will be the next thing i lool at whenever the wife lets me mess with it again.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
329 Posts
My bike was making some terrible knocking noises, and I thought something was amiss and it sounded expensive. However, the bike was running and performing fine. I took it to the dealer thinking I needed some major repair, and it ended up being my aftermarket headpipe striking against the floorboard. They shimmed out the floorboard, and the problem was solved. Check that, sometimes it's something simple.

·
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For anyone paying attention to this or who had input, I didnt have alot of time to work on the bike due to only being home for 14 days and trying to spend time with the wife and make her happy. I finally decided to drop the bike off at the local Stealership before i left. I went ahead and ordered some fuel moto adjustable pushrods also since they seem like a WAY better design than screamin eagle. I should hear something soon as they find it.

·
Chief Safety Ossifer , CEO Doofus HD
1,122 Posts
At stealer for new tire today -- 2 techs tell me they hear lifter noise. I can't...yet. 3K miles ago same stealer did my cams, push rods and heads. How much time are we looking at to repair lifters?? DOOF

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
For anyone paying attention to this or who had input, I didnt have alot of time to work on the bike due to only being home for 14 days and trying to spend time with the wife and make her happy. I finally decided to drop the bike off at the local Stealership before i left. I went ahead and ordered some fuel moto adjustable pushrods also since they seem like a WAY better design than screamin eagle. I should hear something soon as they find it.
Any updates on your noises?

At stealer for new tire today -- 2 techs tell me they hear lifter noise. I can't...yet. 3K miles ago same stealer did my cams, push rods and heads. How much time are we looking at to repair lifters?? DOOF
2-hours should be enough time. All they have to do is remove the pushrods, and lifter covers to pull the lifters. The only time consuming item is adjusting the pushrods.

·
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, on mine. They had every mechanic on it trying to figure it out and the best thing they come up with is that the threads in the head that hold the rocker arms down are messed up and the rocker arms are fluttering. I will attach some pics cause i dont believe it will fix it but i told them to helicoil the holes and let me know. They ordered the steel inserts from Fastenal over three weeks ago and havent gotten the bike fixed yet. I told them that they either messed up ordering them or someone is too lazy to go get them. All i know is, they better be glad im deployed or id be up someones ass right now cause they have had the bike over a month now.

·
Chief Safety Ossifer , CEO Doofus HD
1,122 Posts
Thank you sir !!!!

any updates on your noises?

2-hours should be enough time. All they have to do is remove the pushrods, and lifter covers to pull the lifters. The only time consuming item is adjusting the pushrods.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts