Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Motor was tore down for top end knock and had cases replaced. Lifter bores were scored. I guess they thought that was causing the knock. So motor was put back together with new cam bearings and lifters. 300 miles into the new motor we get the same knock. Same heads pushrods cams and jugs and cylinders were reinstalled. Bike carries recommend oil pressure according to the digital display. After it warms up it knocks quieter but it is still there. Any rpm over 3500 it sounds like it is eating itself. Can you guys go to the link and listen to it and tell me what you think it is. Piston slap ? Bad heads valves ? Surly it’s not the lifters. They have been replaced 3 times and every time the same knock is there. I am at a loss here and I would think the dealer would be also. I think they should rebuild the entire top end and see if that fixes it. Who knows. Thanks for everyone’s opinion. Anything might help. https://youtu.be/R7Pkw26cdB0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh and the knock is only in the front cylinder. Has always been in front cylinder from the begging of this problem.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Yea it realy nocks bad ,send it to Fuelmoto or T man and ask on their opinion, good luck

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea it realy nocks bad ,send it to Fuelmoto or T man and ask on their opinion, good luck

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

I am about ready to call for your Moto and set up appointment to have them rebuild it. Obviously the dealer has no idea what’s wrong with it.

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
If the bike is still under warranty you should stick with the dealer. Also if the dealer did the work they should back the work. If you go somewhere else it may cost you money unless you have a extended warranty. Get a mechanics stethoscope and listen to the engine and see if you can narrow down the problem.

Reactions: Little Wing

·
Registered
487 Posts
Hard to say by a video. Could be a rocker, lifter, pushrod adj, valve seat, etc. Can you tell what area the noise is coming from?

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
Get the mechanics stethoscope and listen for the problem, you can get a stethoscope for around $10 to $12 at just about any auto parts store or a Harbor Freight store. Remember that sound will travel so if you're listening to the top of the engine the noise could be coming from the lower part of the engine. I know you went through 3 sets of lifters so it would seem unlikely that you would get 3 sets of bad lifters.You mentioned that the PR are the same are the PR perfect fit or adjustable PR? There have been cases where adjustable PR are out of adjustment or the PR could be hitting the PR tubes. If you still have the perfect fit PR then it is unlikely that the PR would be the problem.

·
Registered
127 Posts
My 2017 RGU makes the same sound. I thought it was normal as I only have 1200 miles on mine and has done it since taking delivery at 10 miles.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My 2017 RGU makes the same sound. I thought it was normal as I only have 1200 miles on mine and has done it since taking delivery at 10 miles.

Not normal !

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Because you had it repaired and it’s still a problem. Too many things going on here. Keep chasing it.

Motor was tore down today. Pistons cylinders cams everything was checked. They say no abnormal wear and everything measures in spec. Changing the pushrods to adjustable and putting beehive valve springs on the heads. Not sure that will fix it but I guess we will see.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Are you using the Screamin' Eagle lifters? I have heard of a few problems with them. People that have issues have gone to S&S and seems to have worked. How do the valve seats look?

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Are you using the Screamin' Eagle lifters? I have heard of a few problems with them. People that have issues have gone to S&S and seems to have worked. How do the valve seats look?

They tore it down today and checked all parts for spec. Everything is ok they say. Changed valve springs and valve seats I guess. I would say the are shooting in the dark. If it’s not fixed this time I will be riding an M8 next week.

·
Registered
889 Posts
They tore it down today and checked all parts for spec. Everything is ok they say. Changed valve springs and valve seats I guess. I would say the are shooting in the dark. If it’s not fixed this time I will be riding an M8 next week.

My bike makes the same noise coming from the front cylinder and i have thrown a good bit of money replacing parts with no improvement. I have been following your thread to see what you come up with for a fix. I am at the same point you are with changing the springs and valve seats because everything else checks out good. Looking forward to hearing if the springs or valve seats fixes your problem. I'll probably be saving up for an S&S 124 to fix mine if the head work does not pan out.:)

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My bike makes the same noise coming from the front cylinder and i have thrown a good bit of money replacing parts with no improvement. I have been following your thread to see what you come up with for a fix. I am at the same point you are with changing the springs and valve seats because everything else checks out good. Looking forward to hearing if the springs or valve seats fixes your problem. I'll probably be saving up for an S&S 124 to fix mine if the head work does not pan out.:)

Should know something today. I will update.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts