Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Harley Davidson RoadGlide Stage 1
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys so I have a 02 Road Glide with a 88 cubic inch motor and 5 speed tranny and I just came across a 2015 Road Glide 103 motor with a 6 speed tranny for a good price. My question is will this motor and tranny bolt into my frame? Thanks in advanced for any help

·
Registered
7,011 Posts
Yes you are SOL. NO it won't fit in the stock configuration.

·
Premium Member
2010 FLTRX, 96 No Mo, Plain Jane
338 Posts
Save your money!!!
By not buying the 103 with 6-speed tranny, you'll be saving yourself some dough. Take the money that you saved from not buying the 103, and just stroke you 88 to a 110, or even 124...if you got the cash
Problem solved!!!
But the main thing, is to enjoy the bike the way it is right now, all the other stuff will come in time, the longer you have the bike the more progress you will make....
A piece of advice from an old dude about the parts and accessories that you want to add to the bike , it's about the journey from the places that your bike takes you too, and the people you meet along the way.....that truly is the best part of owning a Road Glide!!!!

·
Registered
7,011 Posts
The 96 ci "A" engine will not fit in any touring model up to 06. The motor mounts are different and the tranny lines are different.
HD put the 96 ci engine in the 06 dyna I believe but that should have been the "B" engine.
The 96 ci engine didn't go into a touring model Harley until 07 and it was the "A" engine.

·
Registered
2002 Harley Davidson RoadGlide Stage 1
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Save your money!!!
By not buying the 103 with 6-speed tranny, you'll be saving yourself some dough. Take the money that you saved from not buying the 103, and just stroke you 88 to a 110, or even 124...if you got the cash
Problem solved!!!
But the main thing, is to enjoy the bike the way it is right now, all the other stuff will come in time, the longer you have the bike the more progress you will make....
A piece of advice from an old dude about the parts and accessories that you want to add to the bike , it's about the journey from the places that your bike takes you too, and the people you meet along the way.....that truly is the best part of owning a Road Glide!!!!
Thank you so much for your advice!!!! I love my bike the way it is but I would really like an extra gear for the highway. But if I can’t do it then I cant do it. Also I thought the biggest bore I could do on my 88 was bore it to a 100?

·
Administrator
11,820 Posts
you can go bigger if you bore the cases to accommodate larger bore cylinders

JtB

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Thank you so much for your advice!!!! I love my bike the way it is but I would really like an extra gear for the highway. But if I can’t do it then I cant do it. Also I thought the biggest bore I could do on my 88 was bore it to a 100?
Technically correct, but only because of the 4" stroke length in the 88". So the 4" 110ci pistons yield a 100" "square" bore displacement. if you get longer stroke ("stroker") flywheels, then you can go higher in displacement.

88" = 3.75" bore x 4" stroke
96" = 3.75" bore x 4.375" stroke
103" = 3.875" bore x 4.375" stroke
110" = 4" bore x 4.375" stroke

Or if you like to stare at numbers: Engine Displacement Charts

I got tired of looking stuff up one day, and just charted the whole thing for quick reference.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts