Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The motor in my 2004 comepletly imploded. Looking for new or like new pull out motor to swap in. How much trouble will it be to use a 96 or a 103?

·
Administrator
10,503 Posts
the engine and trans on the 96 and 103 are bolted together , different frames , best to either rebuild yours , or put a S&S crate motor in there

JtB

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Check into Harley's rebuild/remanufacture program, usually not a bad price and you get really close to a new motor with a good warranty9if installed by a dealer).

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
A friend of mine 2000 RG engine blew up about 3 weeks ago and when he was at the HD dealer discussing repair options the service manager was informed by the MOCO that the engine reman program was being phased out and there was only 10 days left.
So the MOCOs reman program is not an option anymore but you may want to verify this to make sure.
Another problem with the reman program was you had to have the HD do the R&R on the bike and the engine had to be shipped from a HD dealer. So you are stuck with the labor cost and shipping cost.
There are some reasonably used 88 inch engines on ebay.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Iam with JTB, time to start exploring local builders on their abilities, likly S&S would recommend in your area or would provide detailed installs you should be able to do yourself, then have it fine-tuned. Go with Hillside or Dragos-plan A

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
If the crank and crankcase is still good than rebuilding the top end is a easy DIY and it doesn't cost a lot and you don't need to pull the engine to do it.
If the crank is bad than pull the engine and tear the top end down and send the bottom end to a machine shop for repairs. New jugs and pistons and a set of used heads won't cost you a lot. If you are lucky your jugs can be punch to a 95 inch or .010 over which ever works for you and heads can be reconditioned. I had my stock heads reconditioned at the local auto machine shop for $50 each, I had to provide the valve seals. The auto machine shop will bore the jugs too.

·
Registered
396 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
if your around the southern Alabama area, Accurate engineering in Dothan does an awesome job with engines. Check 'em out.

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
I don't thinketh that motor for the FX will werk in the RG , may be wrong

JtB
You are correct Jack. That is a "B" engine and the touring models take the "A" engine.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
You are correct Jack. That is a "B" engine and the touring models take the "A" engine.
The add says it is from an FXD. The FXD is a Dyna model and uses the rubber mounted "A" motor. Only Softtail models use the counterbalanced "B" motor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts