Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was recently laid up for a few months due to having shoulder surgery. And we all know what happens when we cant ride...WE SHOP!

So still not able to go back to work but able to ride a little bit I got out of the house and went for a ride. My local HD had been closed down so I road to the next place with bikes on my way to the beaches.

I stopped by a Victory Dealer just to browse and must admit I like what I saw with the exception of the styling of the fairings. They had a Anti-Freeze Green Cross Country that I liked for the most part and got me to thinking.

So later in the week I checked my insurance to see what it would cost and for the same coverage there was only $1. difference for the year. Seriously? Mine is an 07, vs a 2013 $20,000+ bike and only $1. difference.

I chalked it up to repair cost and theft rates etc. After all who wants to steal a Victory?

I had thought I had a good rate as I was paying less than $100 per month for both mine and my wifes Fatboy for full coverage. I had recently sold her bike and my rate went down a jaw dropping $25. to $72. per month. They told me it was because I was loosing the multi-vehicle credit.

Now I had been with Progressive for a number of years , was a Diamond member with a spotless record as for being at fault. I am a "mature driver" so should be getting great rates.

Well the whole Victory thing got me to thinking so I called GEICO just to compare rates.

GEICO rated me at $350. per year vs $865 for PROGRESSIVE and that is with higher coverage amounts with GEICO. If I had quoted Apples for Apples the savings would be even more.

I am in the process of checking my auto insurance as it seems they are going to save me about another $25. per month of $300 per year on that. Need to talk to a live person about the motorcycle discount with auto insurance combined.

I am so P. O'd' at PROGRESSIVE as they could have lowered my rate accordingly when I re-quoted after selling my wife's bike. And then they had the nerve to try to save the account by offering me better rates...

I HATE THE FACT THAT MOST COMPANIES WILL SCREW YOU JUST AS MUCH AS THEY CAN... SO BUYER BE WARE AND CHECK YOUR RATES OFTEN, NOT ONLY FOR INSURANCE BUT TELEPHONE, CABLE, ETC, .

·
Registered
74 Posts
When I sold my VN750, leaving just the FLTRU on that policy, Progressive literally doubled my total premium. Obviously, a couple of phone calls ensued forthwith and that policy did not remain in effect much longer.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay I just got off the line with GEICO and I get an additional 5% for moving my car insurance over so now it is $332. per year for better coverage.

So by switching both policies I am saving $780 per year or $65 per month... which is pretty sweet since my wife has decided to take an early retirement and we are a 1 income family now.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I have state farm for all of my cars and bikes. For my brand new RGC it is under $300 per year. Granted I am an older driver LOL.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Yeah my rate is about 320 a year and that is with a speeding ticket for really good coverage. Progressive wanted more than 500 a year and they tried to bash geico and get me to buy the policy. Crazy shit.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have had State Farm for over 30 years, got a good rate on my bike 350.00 a year for 100.00 deductible. Besides that I would drive uninsured before I ever gave a penny to Progressive. Always shop around!

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
said this before here , wouldn't have Progressive or Geico if they were free

Dairyland on the scoots for years , everything else is Farmers

JtB
I had farmers on the cars and it was $300 more per year.

Dairyland quoted me $220 more per year for the same coverage on the bike, almost as much as Progressive.

·
Super Moderator
9,929 Posts
We've had Farmers for years and living in the country with no "City" fire protection , there are two rates in Alabama , one under five miles from the VFD , the other over five miles ( which is double the under five mile rate ) , we were over by about a 1000' ..

Our homeowners was over 3 bills per month with Farmers .. I bitched , but to no avail of course ..

Our house burned to the ground May 4 2007 ( Friday ) , we had our house check in hand the following Thursday .. The contents money we had within two weeks of filing the contents claims ..

I learned a lesson there , I'm not concerned about the premium , I wanna know what you're gonna do when I file a claim ..

We have a new house on top of the old one and still have Farmers along for the ride .. And a satellite VFD a half mile up the road so we don't get hit with double the premium

JtB

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
True you never really know what your getting until you make a claim.

I had a couple claims with Progressive and they were always very fair I have no complaints. But over double the premium I will take my chances with another major carrier.

As with Farmers I had no complaints but I also had no claims. My last auto claim was nearly 30 years ago and it was not my fault. My last at fault accident was 40 years ago when I was 17.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I HATE THE FACT THAT MOST COMPANIES WILL SCREW YOU JUST AS MUCH AS THEY CAN... SO BUYER BE WARE AND CHECK YOUR RATES OFTEN, NOT ONLY FOR INSURANCE BUT TELEPHONE, CABLE, ETC, .
I always check my bills every now and then especially my motorcycle insurance. If there are some changes I ask my agent about it. There are a few times that I shop and find out how much is motorcycle insurance though when it comes to current rates.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My fiancé is an insurance agent, in fact that is how we met! I will tell you guys this, for any of you that live in and around NYS check with Erie Insurance! I saved over $600 a year when I switch my policies to them and I had USAA which has always been the cheapest till I checked with Erie. Got my parents to go in and speak with my gal and she saved them almost $800 a year! Then I got my aunt to go in and she saved them $1600 a year! The numbers for all policies match so they weren't lesser policies. If they offer Erie in your area check em out!

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I'm an adjuster by trade here in NY but I don't handle automobile claims but a policy is a policy and they all have to start somewhere. The has its minimal requirements and you just add on top of that. I have Farmers and they were purchased or joined with another company and part of the deal was to keep everyone at the original rates for one year. ....then they tried to double my rates and their explanation was what I had just mentioned. Well that's not good enough for me. After one hour on the phone and asking for a supervisors I finally got someone that could explain why and after carefully reviewing my policy she noticed that I was wrongly classified and my premium not only went down to what it was but she realized my motorcycle safety course and defensive drivers course credits were never applied ! Less money than I originally started with. ....

·
Registered
440 Posts
Two things I have learned about insurance is 1. It pays to shop around. 2. You must consider "bundling" to get the best price.

Had cages, home & umbrella policies with State Farm for many years--no accidents or tickets, mature driver, good credit, etc., etc. After not having a bike for many years bought one in 2009. Got the bill from State Farm and thought it was high. Called Geico, they were less than half what State Farm was, switched to Geico and later in the year switched my truck to Geico also. Wife stayed with State Farm. Anyway, several months ago Geico p***ed me off (long story) and I changed bike insurance to Dairyland. Wanted to switch my cage to Dairyland also but found out Dairyland only sells high risk insurance for cages--no way I could pay their much higher price for less coverage. Checked with State Farm again for my cage and apparently their motorcycle insurance has been revised and is now competitive. And, because my wife's cage is still with State Farm as is our homeowners and umbrella policies, the State Farm bike insurance is now as cheap as Geico was and I don't need as much liability coverage with State Farm on either my bike or cage because the umbrella policy is there--plus we got $193 back on the umbrella policy because ALL other policies are again with State Farm.

So, don't just compare apples to apples--bike insurance with one carrier against bike insurance with another carrier. You must consider ALL the other policies as well to get the best overall rates.

Oh, and at some point I did call Progressive because I wanted to check out their "full replacement coverage" not offered by Geico or State Farm. The Progressive quote, without the full replacement coverage I couldn't get because my new bike was more than 90 days old, was MORE THAN 3 TIMES higher than the same Geico coverage I had at that time.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread and pushing me to shop. I have 5 vehicles and the motorcycle insured with Allstate and have had for a long time. I just got off the phone with Geico. They quoted me $276.00 a year on the bike with $10,000 additional coverage on accessories. Progressive charges me over $860.00 a year with no additional coverage.
Geico also saved me $1400.00 a year on my auto insurance.
I'm a very happy camper right now having just given myself a $2260 raise per year. :) :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
You guys have no idea how great you have it. I am a cop in MI with perfect driving record. I pay $1100/yr. on my bike alone and that is with only 3k in accessory coverage. Ins. in MI is beyond a scam. I am with allstate for all of my policies (home, auto, bike, and snowmobiles too) We are easily paying over 5k a year for our policies on everything and we get all the discounts that they can come up with supposidly. I found the current rate for my bike from a guy on this site as a matter of fact and he was the lowest I could find. Makes me sick how much I spend on ins. for our stuff and I have to keep it in my head that I hope I never make a claim because my frikin rates will go up even more...

·
Registered
440 Posts
Don't forget the safety courses that give ya discounts as well if they are available in your area.
Several insurance companies I have shopped with all ask if I have taken a safety course within the last 3 years. Have never taken one but would consider signing up for one if it would get me a decent discount.

But it sounds like a safety course may only get you a discount if you have taken it within the last 3 years. Is that right? If that is the case then the discount, less whatever a safety course costs, might not be much savings if I had to take another safety course every 3 years.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for starting this thread and pushing me to shop. I have 5 vehicles and the motorcycle insured with Allstate and have had for a long time. I just got off the phone with Geico. They quoted me $276.00 a year on the bike with $10,000 additional coverage on accessories. Progressive charges me over $860.00 a year with no additional coverage.
Geico also saved me $1400.00 a year on my auto insurance.
I'm a very happy camper right now having just given myself a $2260 raise per year. :) :)

AWESOME! Let the Mods begin.

Some people talk of customer loyalty to their companies. Well it is a two way street isn't it.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts