Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
To be honest with you, I would hope everybody could do that. I practice that exact thing regularly when I go to parking lots. I am a former motor cop myself so the cone riding and tight turns are something I enjoy practicing but really, everybody should be able to turn within two parking spaces, or if not, damn close to it.

I'm definitely a little rustier than I was when I was doing it for a living and taking the risks on the employer-owned bike. Something about scratching up your own paint job and breaking off your own levers will take a bit of the fun about pushing the envelope :)

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Turns on a road glide

Very nicely done, I'd like to practice on my bike but I don't want to drop my bike and have to pay for the repairs.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Drag the rear brake, slip the clutch, keep the rpms up, and listen for the board to drag.

That first time you get it over that far is an act of faith. But after that it's not bad.

Long as I can get it done on a two lane road, I'm pretty happy.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Last year, I had it down to a 20 ft turn on the '13 Ultra Limited, couldn't quite get to 18' though. I'd love to be able to do it. I've dropped the 13 numerous times practicing and found that the engine/bag guards do a fine job of protecting the bike. Only problem, damage wise, was that I had to readjust the highway pegs.

A bigger issue for me, is that I'm unable to pick the bike up by myself. If I could, I'd practice much more often. The folks that have been teaching me, have appeared in some of Motorman's videos. I'm not always aware of when they get together to practice though.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I saw his video a few weeks ago and went out to try it. Can't do it. Closest I can get is a little less than 2 and a half spaces. That was on my 13RGU. Just traded for a new to me 15CVORGU. I ain't about to chance dropping it!!

·
Super Moderator
12,295 Posts
Actually very doable and not to complicated. You shouldn't drop your bike unless you try a tighter circle, another important thing to remember, No Front Brake..........

·
Registered
684 Posts
+1 on no front brake. Not long after I got my Shark I was in a parking lot doing some low speed drills and lost my mind for about half a second.

I had the bars cranked over to the left doing next to nothing speed wise and tapped the front brake. Like magic the ground became a Shark magnet.

Needless to say, as my finger was going towards the brake lever, my brain was yellin NOOOOOOOOOO. Oppppps, too late, over she goes. I had not put the bag bars on yet due to them being backordered, so of course, snap went the ball of the clutch lever and a slight bit of rash on the left bag and a bit of wounded ego.

I stepped out of the now down bike, chuckling to myself, BIKE DOWN,BIKE DOWN! I mean at that point, getting mad would have done no good, hell it was my own dumb fault.

After looking at my baby lying there for a minute or so, I thought I was going to cry! WHAHHH, my 30k mistress is down!!! WHAHHHHH.

Instead I backed up to her, grabbed the left grip and the frame near the shock and walked her up, put the jiffy stand down and then cried at the sight of the bag. LOL

Moral of the story? DONT TOUCH THE FRONT FUCKIN BRAKE WHEN DOING LOW SPEED MANUVERS!!!

I look at the rash on the bag as a poignant reminder of something I learned years ago, and forgot for a fleeting moment. And that friends is why it is so important to practice these things often. I hope that I never need to use these things in an emergency, but I sure want to know how if I find myself in an ugly situation.

BTW, nice job by Motorman to do the dead stop in about 16 feet. Wheeling that Shark like a BOSS!

Mike

·
Registered
684 Posts
After running across one of Motorman's shows in Leesburg a few years back, I friggin love doing U-turns. That and squaring off turns to touch the floor boards. Roll out till front wheel is almost center of lane, come to dead stop, then lay over into turn until floorboard touches down. After almost 30 years, the wife is quite used to my antics and always does an exceptional job of sitting still for these maneuvers.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Last year, I had it down to a 20 ft turn on the '13 Ultra Limited, couldn't quite get to 18' though. I'd love to be able to do it. I've dropped the 13 numerous times practicing and found that the engine/bag guards do a fine job of protecting the bike. Only problem, damage wise, was that I had to readjust the highway pegs.

A bigger issue for me, is that I'm unable to pick the bike up by myself. If I could, I'd practice much more often. The folks that have been teaching me, have appeared in some of Motorman's videos. I'm not always aware of when they get together to practice though.
Picking up the bike is a lot easier and takes less practice than doing tight turns.
There are many You tube videos showing women picking up heavy bikes. Squat down with your back facing the bike. Put your butt in the seat, grab the handlebar with one hand, the bottom of the seat or fender with your other hand. Lean into the bike and start walking backwards with your butt in the lower part of the seat. Use your legs, not your back!

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+pick+up+a+fallen+bagger&oq=how+to+pick+up+a+fallen+bagger&aqs=chrome..69i57.5063j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=1

·
Registered
85 Posts
I thought I was doing 20 foot turns then the wife videoed it and it is 2 spaces plus a bike on either side of the space. I feel real comfortable. I don't want to push it til I get some bag guards though.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Doing it on an open lot is one thing. Doing it where you have no extra space is another. Like a u-turn on a road with a bad drop off on the shoulders.

A couple times a year I'll go to an empty parking lot and just start turning in a circle. Then tighten it up as I go. For some reason I do it a lot better going left than I do going right.

·
Super Moderator
1,766 Posts
I think the most important thing that everyone here is missing is the "eyes"!

LOOK WHERE YOU WANT TO GO! If you look at the ground in any of those turns, its gonna come up fast and you're gonna hit it. Your right hand should be holding the throttle at about 1500-2000 rpm, if you reduce your engine speed to grab the front brake, you will look down and your bike will go down. These turns are controlled by the clutch and rear brake and your eyes, the right hand is just a noise maker.

Snap your head around, your eyes should be on the horizon or a fixed object about 100' out in front of where you want the bike to go.

Wanna practice with your bike but have never done this before, and I recommend you do, cut some short 6" pieces of regular garden hose, split them the length of the hose and wrap them on your crash bars front and rear where the bars will contact the ground.

Most importantly "DON'T LOOK DOWN, LOOK WHERE YOU WANT TO GO"

It really is that simple. Once you master the direction that is easiest for you, then try making a u turn in the opposite direction, first in about 24 feet then narrow this down as well. This will test your skills. We all have one direction that we are more comfortable working in, the opposite will be a challenge

Can I turn my bike around in 18', yes I can. Am I an expert, hell no. I'm not as smooth as ol' Jerry but I can do it. Practice makes perfect and he has had a lot of practice.

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
684 Posts
+1 on the eyes. I have Jerrys videos and the book and it cant be said often enough or loud enough. The bike is going to go where you are looking.

Oh wait, you are worried about hitting that curb you are looking at?!? BLAMMMMMMMMOOO. Ummm I sure hope I got the tire and wheel package with my ESP.LOL

BTW that applies to low speed and high speed driving. Say for instance you are going into a nice long sweeper, first you want to come in slow and accelerate thrugh the turn, also dont look at the turn, look through it. In other words you want to see as far ahead of where you are going as possible.

Target fixation is a really bad thing and that applies to the scoot as well as the cage. I know that when I got the Ride Like A Pro stuff that I knew most of the stuff covered, I just didnt practice some of the stuff covered. No one is too old to learn something new or learn a better way of doing something.

Mike

·
Registered
684 Posts
I thought he did a good job of further explaining the point of using your rear brake in this video. It makes a world of difference in slow riding. Practicing the slow speed in a straight line builds the confidence to use the rear brake drag in your turns.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvxsM4QaFAA
True, but... The rear brake shouldn't be required. Which Jerry points out in his shows while doing the same maneuvers kneeling on the seat. If you get too dependent on the rear brake you'll end up learning clutch/throttle mistakes, while chewing up a lot of clutch/brake material.

Try riding slow on level ground without using the brake, and that'll make it easier to find out where the edges are.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I took the class and was able to do the 20" struggled with the 18" I have dropped my bike doing this a few times, nothing really happened, the speed is so slow, and I have the plastic guards that snap on to the Engine and Bag guards. Its a hell of a lot of fun and its a very good skill to have. Its also very comforting to know that you can pick up your bike when it falls.

I recommend the books, videos and practice.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts