Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the new covers that look like they're forward facing got on my 2012 roadglide to replace the stock oval one?

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Does anyone know if the new covers that look like they're forward facing got on my 2012 roadglide to replace the stock oval one?

Not familiar with the Mount Rushmore A/C. Does it have the faces of 4 Presidents on it? The HD Rushmore A/C will fit though. ?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LMAO. I was reading that thinking WTF is he talking about?

Do I need any extra parts OT do I just unbolt and bolt the new one on?

I looked on YouTube and no luck on a video

Reactions: RGKen

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
LMAO. I was reading that thinking WTF is he talking about?

Do I need any extra parts OT do I just unbolt and bolt the new one on?

I looked on YouTube and no luck on a video

Just wanted to give you some shit. ?

If you already have the stage 1 filter I believe it's the same filter as the 14' & up and the cover just bolts onto the filter like the football cover. If not you will have to change backplate and all.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah that's what I was looking for. I still have the oval. Local shop said I was good to just swap. I'll tear mine apart tomorrow and look.

And that leads to the next question. If I switch to New style and have slip on pipes will I need a tune?

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Ah that's what I was looking for. I still have the oval. Local shop said I was good to just swap. I'll tear mine apart tomorrow and look.

And that leads to the next question. If I switch to New style and have slip on pipes will I need a tune?

So your saying that you have the stock A/C with the plastic backing? If that is the case you will need more to swap than just the cover. If you go to stage 1 filter (getting rid of the plastic backing) you will have to re-tune but it will be well worth it. The bike will breath better and you will get better performance.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So your saying that you have the stock A/C with the plastic backing? If that is the case you will need more to swap than just the cover. If you go to stage 1 filter (getting rid of the plastic backing) you will have to re-tune but it will be well worth it. The bike will breath better and you will get better performance.

I'm all stock. Was just looking for the newer look. I don't like the big air cleaners. They dig into my leg.

·
Registered
8,783 Posts
I'm all stock. Was just looking for the newer look. I don't like the big air cleaners. They dig into my leg.
You can buy the whole thing off a Rushmore bike. (Cover & backing plate ) . It's a direct fit and you will not need to retune if you don't want to. If you added the hi-flow backing plate and air cleaner ,you'll need to add a fuel enrichener device / retune.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts

I'm sure there are plenty of stock take off air cleaners from the new newer bikes that you should be able to find everything you need fairly cheap. That is one of the first things most people upgrade.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Most Rushmore air cleaner take offs can be found for about $50 complete. I am putting the newer style cover on my 12 with a ness big sucker using some parts from the se kit for about $20 using these parts.

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Most Rushmore air cleaner take offs can be found for about $50 complete. I am putting the newer style cover on my 12 with a ness big sucker using some parts from the se kit for about $20 using these parts.
So I need to buy that part for the new style?

·
Registered
8,783 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
So I need to buy that part for the new style?
No. That is the parts you need to adapt the new style cover to the old style stage 1 kit. If you can find a complete 2014+ take off you will not need these parts.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts

·
Registered
8,783 Posts
Personally, I would not cut the back out of the cover like that. The gain you make in more air flow will be off set by the heated air off of the engine. The Rushmore new style air cleaner has proven that it uses almost a ram air effect and does a really good job just like it is.
I agree with you about not cutting holes. I don't believe it will pull much air if any in there anyways. Even the little bit it does pull won't hurt anything. Hell, the pre-Rushmore bikes pulled air in, right behind the front head pipe.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I agree with you about not cutting holes. I don't believe it will pull much air if any in there anyways. Even the little bit it does pull won't hurt anything. Hell, the pre-Rushmore bikes pulled air in, right behind the front head pipe.
Exactly Gary, that's one of the reasons so many people went to Big Suckers, etc. for more air and more cooler air.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts