Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered the above mentioned amp. My search skills must be lacking....I tried to do a search under RG Audio for how/where to actually mount it under the fairing of a 2011 RG and I keep getting about a million threads that don't necessarily relate. So I guess I'll start one. For those that have done this, what's a good place to mount it and how? I looked at the Hog Tunes mounting plates but with me having rudimentary sheet metal skills I have a problem paying almost $40 for that. Seems I've heard some folks mention mounting it with heavy duty Velcro on top of the radio...does that fit/hold and is there a heat concern? And others mentioned mounting it vertically on the wall if the inner fairing with hd velcro...does that hold???? Given time I know I could fabricate a mounting plate but that means the fairing would have to stay off longer...I was hoping to do this up grade in couple hours. I appreciate the wisdom and insight of those that have done this before.

·
Registered
8,759 Posts
You can also make your own mount out of some stock plate aluminum or steel. Here is mine. Its mounted on a Hog tunes mount. I did have to re-drill to fit the pbr.

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,452 Posts
I've been using Velcro with my amps since 2007, no problems yet.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Administrator
12,452 Posts
I'm leaning to manufacturing my own plate, but still interested in the Velcro thing. Where did you mount it using Velcro?
Right now I have 4 amps mounted using velcro, 2 on the radio and 2 on the inner fairing where you see everybody else using the bracket. Since you have the RF PBR I would mount it on the inner fairing, they can get a little warm. BTW I know how you feel about the cost of the bracket, I think that's one of the main reasons I just stuck with the velcro.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Right now I have 4 amps mounted using velcro, 2 on the radio and 2 on the inner fairing where you see everybody else using the bracket. Since you have the RF PBR I would mount it on the inner fairing, they can get a little warm. BTW I know how you feel about the cost of the bracket, I think that's one of the main reasons I just stuck with the velcro.
Velcro: $8 at hardware store with like 8 feet left over! I bought a piece of sheet in case I wanted to make a bracket. But after securing the soundstream amp with velcro, I'm convinced that its going NOWHERE.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I bought a sheet of aluminum from Lowes then built my own bracket. Didn't take long. Aluminum acts as a heat sink for amp. Does it really help keep amp cooler? Hell-I don't know. However, I did beat on my chest and guzzled a couple beers because I built something with my own two hands!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also, to OP, if you do a search for the amp (PBR 300X2) it will probably bring up a bunch of threads of how to mount it.
Ya know, I tried that and got about a bazillion hits on totally unrelated stuff. Maybe I wasn't holding my mouth right.

Thanks y'all, I think I got enough to work with now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts