Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of getting a video camera. I see a lot of people with the camera on there helment. I don't like the way it looks on the helment but you must sacfice looks for good video. Is there any other good places to mount it on the bike without screwing up the paint.

thanks
Jrbean

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
I use the Contour Roam camera which i made a mount for. I too dont like the helmet or chest thing. I mount it to the handle bars or the crash bar or highway bar or whatever you want to call it. Takes a decent video

·
Registered
656 Posts
Pending your bike and setup I would think there would be an abundance of places to put a camera. It might have to be a GoPro with a remote.

You could use the engine guard.
You could use the saddle bag guards.
Handlebar mount perhaps?

Let us know what you come up with.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I use the helmet mount the most with my Gopro. I stick it to the front of the helmet, not the top so it doesn't look as bad. Lol. I don't like looking goofy with a camera on my helmet but IMO that's the best placement. U really get a rider POV. U can mount on the handle bars but if u have a windshield higher than stock the video will be looking thru it. Engine guard is ok but just tooI low to me. With it on your helmet you can look left and right and the camera follows. Here's a video of mine with helmet view.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jaydog
can you post a pic of how the camera looks like on the helment.
thanks bud
jrbean

·
Super Moderator
12,336 Posts
You can also use the suction cup and mount it to the front of the fairing, windshield, saddlebags, or someplace else creative.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
2 Posts
A buddy had a Go Pro mounted to his windshield when we rode thru Yosemite. Vibration tilted the camera and he got two hours of double yellow lines.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
If you get a Go[pro they make all kinds of mount , handlebars, crashbars, i heard of the sucktion cup on the bags. i use the helmet mount.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I am working on another outer fairing design where it will house a camera right in the front above the headlights :) I been working with a micro camera and putting it into the bezel just need to find a way to stablize it more.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've tried lots of places - crash bars, windshield, fairing, etc, but the absolute best place is the helmet if you don't want to see annoying jitter/vibrations through the whole video. Like mentioned earlier, just stick it to the front of your helmet and it's not so noticeable. And when you are not filming, the small piece left on your helmet is almost unnoticeable. You can also carry a 2nd helmet just for filming if you don't want to stick something to your main helmet.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Two Mounts

Here are two for comparison. The first is with the camera on the engine guard. The ride is from CA 4 going to Port Costa on the river

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms5JM6jjD0Q

Then with the same camera on the helmet riding from Woodside CA up to Alice's Resturant on Skyline Blvd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqEwuqAJ908

You have to be careful about head movement with the camera on the helmet. Checking traffic and looking around make for some distracting video. Here is one going through Walnut Grove CA to "Al the Wops" in the old Chinese town on Locke:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AceABgqdKko

Camera is the new Drift Innovations "Ghost S" and it has the remote to control it and change functions with colored light feedback.

·
Super Moderator
1,776 Posts
I am working on another outer fairing design where it will house a camera right in the front above the headlights :) I been working with a micro camera and putting it into the bezel just need to find a way to stablize it more.

That is a fantastic idea. A camera built into the bezel in the front and say into the light bar in the rear with a recording device under the fairing or in a saddle bag. A remote switch on the handlebars.

I like this idea. Check out pivothead glasses. I have a pair but unfortunately they are difficult to wear with helmet. The camera size is exactly what you need.

Regards,

Calgaryglide aka Troy

·
Registered
143 Posts
Helmet Mount gives the best perspective.

I am thinking of getting a video camera. I see a lot of people with the camera on there helment. I don't like the way it looks on the helment but you must sacfice looks for good video. Is there any other good places to mount it on the bike without screwing up the paint.

thanks
Jrbean
I have mounted my GoPro in several places. Still, the best video has been from the helmet. The highway bar location makes to much noise. I have used the suction cup mount on the saddle back, which makes an interesting perspective, if I was people to watch me riding.

I like the helmet because it gives the viewer a perspective of riding the bike despite the distortion of the wide angle lens on the GoPro.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
I use an Olympus TG-850 on a lanyard (so I don't drop it), and hand hold it. That way I can get shots from the side and rearward. When I'm not using it, I tuck it in a pocket on my vest to keep it out of the way.

It's waterproof, and shockproof, and also has video stabilization.

http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/tg-850.html

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
I use an Olympus TG-850 on a lanyard (so I don't drop it), and hand hold it. That way I can get shots from the side and rearward. When I'm not using it, I tuck it in a pocket on my vest to keep it out of the way.

It's waterproof, and shockproof, and also has video stabilization.

HOLY CRAP!!! Looks like you caught a creepy monster in that video. Looks like that camera takes a nice video though.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts