Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my 2019 RGS I had them include the Boom 2 in the fairing because I wanted an audio upgrade under warranty. Now after 6 months I'm looking to get something in my lowers. I was offered a 20% discount on the Boom 2 plus labor. I'm not an audio head but know there are better options out there.
I am thinking of getting an entire new setup for the fairing and lowers. Ill try to recoup something back on selling off the Boom 2 amp and speakers. Budget is 2K. Would like to avoid cutting away pieces of the bike or at least have some detailed instructions for install. All advice is welcomed.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
When I bought my 2019 RGS I had them include the Boom 2 in the fairing because I wanted an audio upgrade under warranty. Now after 6 months I'm looking to get something in my lowers. I was offered a 20% discount on the Boom 2 plus labor. I'm not an audio head but know there are better options out there.
I am thinking of getting an entire new setup for the fairing and lowers. Ill try to recoup something back on selling off the Boom 2 amp and speakers. Budget is 2K. Would like to avoid cutting away pieces of the bike or at least have some detailed instructions for install. All advice is welcomed.

I will give you advice... research and listen to as many systems as you can... after all... you have to be happy with what you get.

There are many companies out there that have great systems... I represent just one.. SOUNDZ.

4 Iron 65's coupled with the SS4.100 amp for your faring and lowers will give you awesome, clear and loud quality audio. Completely plug and play system.

Depending on your location, there may be a dealer/distributor near you that can help you out.

I have installed the exact system above in CVO's and limiteds.. its an awesome setup.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Topcop45

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup. I already spoke to someone from Soundz through FB. I'm not far from Daytona and was going to pay them a visit when they return from Laconia.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Yup. I already spoke to someone from Soundz through FB. I'm not far from Daytona and was going to pay them a visit when they return from Laconia.

Nice... Peter and Maddie and their crew are a wealth of knowledge and can answer anything you throw at them.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Big fan of Biketronics....Yeah, there's bigger and better, or worse....Completely plug and play and sounds fricken killer, or a least mine does with a Alpine HU....oh yeah...lifetime warranty....period!!! Good luck and remember, pay oncee, cry once!!!
Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Big fan of Biketronics....Yeah, there's bigger and better, or worse....Completely plug and play and sounds fricken killer, or a least mine does with a Alpine HU....oh yeah...lifetime warranty....period!!! Good luck and remember, pay oncee, cry once!!!

Good luck!
Thanks for that. On another note. What that cigar holder you have on your bars. I'm looking for one.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Now we're talking. That's a nice budget for a 4 speaker system that can be pieced together and will smoke any kit setup out there. A shining example of buy once cry once, well except for the boom 2 mistake but you get a pass for that as a relatively new member.

There are some good videos here and a bunch on the other forum. Listen to them with headphones on and see if a couple stand out more than others. Of course the video isn't as good as the real thing, but there's a good chance you'll hear something you like the sound of and will get you pointed in the right direction.

Even though the lowers will help provide fill, the fairing still needs to be your top priority for riding at speed and the amp is the heart of the system. At that price point your amp and front fairing must be top notch. If that means less than primo speakers in the lowers so be it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now we're talking. That's a nice budget for a 4 speaker system that can be pieced together and will smoke any kit setup out there. A shining example of buy once cry once, well except for the boom 2 mistake but you get a pass for that as a relatively new member.

There are some good videos here and a bunch on the other forum. Listen to them with headphones on and see if a couple stand out more than others. Of course the video isn't as good as the real thing, but there's a good chance you'll hear something you like the sound of and will get you pointed in the right direction.

Even though the lowers will help provide fill, the fairing still needs to be your top priority for riding at speed and the amp is the heart of the system. At that price point your amp and front fairing must be top notch. If that means less than primo speakers in the lowers so be it.
What other forum are you referring to? I'm pretty new to the forum and all I've been going through is the audio section.

·
Registered
771 Posts
What other forum are you referring to? I'm pretty new to the forum and all I've been going through is the audio section.

Pm sent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looking at Soundz and Biketronics however if there are any pieced together setups that work I'm open to suggestions.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Now we're talking. That's a nice budget for a 4 speaker system that can be pieced together and will smoke any kit setup out there.
A shining example of buy once cry once, well except for the boom 2 mistake but you get a pass for that as a relatively new member.

X1000. Great advice here. Build your system for your ears, not for someone else's ears.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Looking at Soundz and Biketronics however if there are any pieced together setups that work I'm open to suggestions.

I really don’t have a problem with these “plug and play” kits other than the value. Some of these kits (Soundz, Sinister, Biketronics) sound killer but you can piece together your own set up for the same or less and be far ahead. It does take a little more research and a little more work though. I for one have really enjoyed the work and the research and I have learned a lot here and at the other forum. For some, myself included, they get bit by it and it becomes another hobby/obsession. For others all they want is a one and done solution, and they want someone else to do the research and/or work. That’s ok too, and if that’s you than I’m sure you will be very happy with the Soundz system. If you want to go for it and put together your own system we are here to help.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Harley parts department says anything other than the Boom will void warranty if there is any electrical issues. I expected to hear that, still a little frustrating to hear.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Harley parts department says anything other than the Boom will void warranty if there is any electrical issues. I expected to hear that, still a little frustrating to hear.

Most of the systems now are plug and play... it would be hard pressed to find something in a plug and play system that would void the warranty... just sayin

·
Registered
234 Posts
Just remember: Although many dealers would have you think otherwise, simply having an aftermarket part or modifying your vehicle cannot void your warranty. ... The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act states that a dealer must prove that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage.

Reactions: Ronnie Gary

·
Registered
58 Posts
I will give you advice... research and listen to as many systems as you can... after all... you have to be happy with what you get.

There are many companies out there that have great systems... I represent just one.. SOUNDZ.

4 Iron 65's coupled with the SS4.100 amp for your faring and lowers will give you awesome, clear and loud quality audio. Completely plug and play system.

Depending on your location, there may be a dealer/distributor near you that can help you out.

I have installed the exact system above in CVO's and limiteds.. its an awesome setup.

I went with the Rockford Fosgate Set up after hearing one on another RG.

It sounded MUCH MUCH different than in a store - reasons the stores and mfg put sound deadening in the boxes which house so many speakers problem is it enhances bass and response to force the sound into the room, this leads to the bigger problem, you are in a room hearing the stereo.
Sound is very different inside a room versus outside. In fact my stereo sounds 100% different from my garage to the street. It still sounds excellent, BUT different because the sound is bouncing off walls and ceiling.

Listen to as many as possible in a real life setting.

I am running with the Rockford 400 watt amp, and 6 speakers. 2 in front fairing, 2 in tourpak and I just put in the 2- 6x9 in saddle bags.

You can hear my stereo from over 1500 feet away when I turn it up. BUT more important it is clear and crisp and I never put it up that loud when riding no need to.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
OP - If you decide to piece together your own system................... Pick a solution that doesn't require you to cut any of the factory wires. Your dealers' service department is full of crap, they cannot void your entire electrical system warranty for adding an aftermarket AMP or speakers as long as you don't go hacking into the factory wiring. If in doubt (and it's time consuming I know, but if you have an electrical issue down the road just pull the aftermarket stuff before you take it to the dealer).

You have a decent budget, so there are a lot of options to consider, but if you decide to "build your own" there are some preliminary questions to answer. As for SoundZ (Spazz or any other authorized dealer) or Biketronics, you can rest assured that you are buying premium products with excellent after the sale support and associated warranties. The BT warranty is the best in the industry.

If you want to explore build your own options, just say so and the team here can start making recommendations. And by the way.......... You don't have to spend $2K to get an excellent audio system in your Road Glide.

One last thing as it applies to the Road Glides, the fairing speaker pods are oddly shaped and some speakers just won't fit without using the BT tapered spacer ring or modifying the pods to clear the speaker magnets.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Do the Iron 65's and Amp have to be Flashed once they are installed?

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Do the Iron 65's and Amp have to be Flashed once they are installed?
You don't flash AMPS or Speakers. When people talk about flashing, they are talking about flashing the OEM radio to either; enable rear channel with fade and/or flatten the EQ curve.

If you are doing a two or four speaker "build your own" system, there are ways to work around without requiring you to flash the radio.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
You don't flash AMPS or Speakers. When people talk about flashing, they are talking about flashing the OEM radio to either; enable rear channel with fade and/or flatten the EQ curve.

If you are doing a two or four speaker "build your own" system, there are ways to work around without requiring you to flash the radio.
Correct... flash is for the head unit... mainly to flatten the EQ curve output from the deck to give the flattest signal possible to the aftermarket amp. Line levelers kinda do it, but not the greatest... a DSP ( DIGITAL SIGNAL PROCESSOR) is a really good choice but costly.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts