Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate CD's just more crap to carry around, they get scratched, skip, and on long rides you've got to stop and change them. My Iphone is half the size of a CD case and holds hours of music. I'm cheap so I haven't yet picked up the Ipod interface most likely won't.
I use to have the MP3 cable run out of the left hand glovebox and across the dash. Ugly wires hanging. So when I changed my bars I drilled a hole into the box from the inside of the fairing and ran the wire through. Plug it in throw it in the glovebox forget about it and ride. Worked great except on long rides the phone battery dies:mad:.
When I installed my new Hogtunes setup I added a 12v USB phone charger hidden in the fairing and ran it into the box. Now I've got power and MP3 sound from the glovebox no ugly wires blowing in the wind.
One day wifey will let me get the interface but for now this works. Just beware of the music you've got on your device. Not so cool blasting Celine, Whitney, or KD Lang while cruising main street.:cool: I don't rock to any of those I promise.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,433 Posts
Good idea. I have an aftermarket unit, but I still have the wire for the MP3 player, that would be a way to stop it from hanging. BTW I still have a CD player, I use the CD, MP3, and a flash drive, I like variety. :D

·
Registered
909 Posts
Now I get how u ran the wires I just need to get that 90 connector. Last summer I spent 35 for this coil wire for the radio. Thanks for the info. FYI u will like the interface.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I hate CD's just more crap to carry around, they get scratched, skip, and on long rides you've got to stop and change them. My Iphone is half the size of a CD case and holds hours of music. I'm cheap so I haven't yet picked up the Ipod interface most likely won't.
I use to have the MP3 cable run out of the left hand glovebox and across the dash. Ugly wires hanging. So when I changed my bars I drilled a hole into the box from the inside of the fairing and ran the wire through. Plug it in throw it in the glovebox forget about it and ride. Worked great except on long rides the phone battery dies:mad:.
When I installed my new Hogtunes setup I added a 12v USB phone charger hidden in the fairing and ran it into the box. Now I've got power and MP3 sound from the glovebox no ugly wires blowing in the wind.
One day wifey will let me get the interface but for now this works. Just beware of the music you've got on your device. Not so cool blasting Celine, Whitney, or KD Lang while cruising main street.:cool: I don't rock to any of those I promise.
I love my Cd's. I make Mp3 Cd's that can hold about 8-9 hours of music each. I have never changed out a cd during a ride. I used to use an Mp3 player, but i got tired of charging cables and plug in wires. As for skipping Ive never had an issue with that. Also, the cool part is I can see whats playing on the head unit and I can flip around or just put it in random mode.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I just found a device on Amazon, it is a round (like a cigarette lighter) plug with a weather proof hinged cover that has a USB and a 3.5mm stereo plug in one unit. I plan to install it inside my glove box to plug my phone into. Add to that a cord I bought on amazon that plugs into iPhone 4s bottom, then has a single usb on the other end for charging and a seperate cable for 3.5mm stereo. So I will be completely uncluttered on my dash, and I can remove everything and close the port and have my glove box completely uncluttered. Total for everything was under $40.00 including shipping. I plan to drill the hole inside my box and seal it from inside my fairing. Search Amazon "usb aux audio input jack". $23.15. Wiring seems very simple and clear.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
I just ordered a usb port from Kuryakyn. Actually 2 of them because I am putting one on a friends bike too. It comes with a bracket to mount on your bars but I'm putting it in the glove box and I won't have to use my cigarette lighter anymore. Now I just need to move my aux jack to the rear of the radio and I will not have any cables outside. Here's the link to the Kuryakyn usb port if anyone is interested.

http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/4206/USB-Power-Source

·
Registered
593 Posts
Now I just need to move my aux jack to the rear of the radio and I will not have any cables outside.
Interested, I'm guesing there is a thread to this somewhere within the site?? Just call me lazy.:cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts