Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what I should be getting mileage wise? I have a stock 09 RG with rinehart slipons. On the average I'm going about 110 to 130 miles before the low fuel light comes on. With just me on it, not that I weigh that much and all the bags are empty. Ithought I should be getting better that roughly 25 to 30 mpg. I have 2 other guys I know who claim they're getting about 200 to 220 per tank. What's the scoop?

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Does anyone know what I should be getting mileage wise? I have a stock 09 RG with rinehart slipons. On the average I'm going about 110 to 130 miles before the low fuel light comes on. With just me on it, not that I weigh that much and all the bags are empty. Ithought I should be getting better that roughly 25 to 30 mpg. I have 2 other guys I know who claim they're getting about 200 to 220 per tank. What's the scoop?
Something isn't right with your tune. You should be getting a lot better mileage unless your a real hot rod. Im getting about 46 mpg average now, and was getting around 43 when it was close to stock. 55 mpg is my best, 16 is my worst (having a lot of fun that day). I have an app on my phone that figures it all out with every fill up.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I don't know about your riding style but the more you twist the wick the worse she'll get. Now, I am getting 40 - 43 two up most of the time.

Has it always gotten poor mileage or has it been getting worse all along? I would say run some Seafoam thru it, change plugs and air filter and check it out again.

Have you checked to see if it has thrown any codes?

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
thanks I'll have to get in far a tune up. Dealer tells me that normal..
Somehow I am not suprised that a dealer would tell you that, but it's BS, you definitly need to get it checked/tuned. If all your running is some slip on mufflers and a "stock" air cleaner, you should be getting well over 40 depending of course how you ride.

With my build two up I get 43-46 MPG...

Rowdy

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Somethings definately up. On average I get 40-45 mpg if I'm taking it easy. This summer on the road, 2 up with wife and bags loaded and a bag on the luggage rack (close the the gvw) we averaged 40 mph. Your mpg shouldn't be that bad.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Guys thanks for your help. It's been like this since it was new. Dealer installed the slip-ons. I believe the air cleaner is a screaming eagle. Owned since it was new and I always seem to be seeing the low fuel light around 110 to 130 mi. Last time it was at the dealer was at 1200mi. since than I do everything myself. I was told that it was just breaking in and it should get better with time. Now I got 5500 on it and I discovered this site so I figured I'd ask those that know.
Thanks Fatkid

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
So, at 120-130 miles when you fill, how many gallons are you putting in?? The fuel gauges and low fuel light son these bikes are notoriously almost as wrong as the ambient temp gauges, the only real way to measure MPG is miles ridden divided by fuel used.

My '11 103" RGU is stock except for exhaust and air cleaner with a generic canned TTS map. I get right on 40mpg all the time, I thrash on it pretty good and most of my miles are 2-up. Very comparable to what my 95" Ultra Classic got.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
I get 42 mpg average just running around and 50 on trips. The worst i've gotten has been 38 mpg but I don't get wrist happy to often. I agree with everyone else, something's up with your tune or your gauge is whacked.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I beleive about 5.1 right in that area. Like I said the dealer told me at 1200mi it still hasn't broken yet. BS I to think so thing is wrong with the tune but I've been listening to the dealer.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I have gotten 230 out of a tank, but as low as 170. But that was doing 90-100 on the autobahn that whole tank. 130 is what I get on the sportster with the 4.5 gal tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
When mine was new I got around 36 mpg. That lasted only for the first 3-4 tanks. After about 600-700 miles I've never gotten anything less than 40 mpg unless I'd been hot rodding and that's not been too often. As posted in another thread, I try to keep my RPM's around 2500 and usually get 50 mpg. That seems to be the "sweet' spot.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I get 45 mpg on average. Before the build I got as high as 50. But now, around 45mpg. Something isn't right. I don't care if your the fatkid or not, it should be giving you at least 40 mpg. Find another dealer if the one your using says that's normal.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Find another dealer if the one your using says that's normal.
I totally agree,.. your dealer either
1) Doesn't ride a touring bike and know whats normal
2) Doesn't care about his customers enough to fix a problem
3) Knows there is something wrong, and to much of a prick to fix it for you.

Confront him with the truth, or take your business elsewhere.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I beleive about 5.1 right in that area. Like I said the dealer told me at 1200mi it still hasn't broken yet. BS I to think so thing is wrong with the tune but I've been listening to the dealer.

Unless those miles are up and down the alley behind the house, or just blasting around town, with any highway miles at all you should be getting at least high 30mpg, or at least 160-200 miles before the light comes on.

Yes, it's entirely possible your dealer is full of s^&t, wouldn't be the first time.

·
Registered
363 Posts
For what it's worth, my RGU gets 46-47 mpg no matter riding single, double, loaded or empty since Stage I upgrade. 42-45 prior to upgrade. Very pleased

·
Registered
753 Posts
I totally agree,.. your dealer either
1) Doesn't ride a touring bike and know whats normal
2) Doesn't care about his customers enough to fix a problem
3) Knows there is something wrong, and to much of a prick to fix it for you.

Confront him with the truth, or take your business elsewhere.
++1 that. But also be sure to send a email to the MoCo. Even if you are the first or the only one, but that way they know what is going on with their stealers. The local one here got so many complaints about how long it took to get bikes worked on, that the MoCo told him to either hire more Techs or they would pull his dealership. A simple oil change you had to wait 2 months.... for engine rebuild 6-8 months.... yes Months, unless you got a SE from him... then you got same day service!!! As a side note, SE's are $50-70K over here.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Bro, I get between 42 and 48 mpg and I ride mine like I stole it every chance I get. There is something way wrong with your set-up and if the stealer won't help you, take it to an independent and I am sure they would be more than happy to help you out and probably cheaper in the end. Even on my worse day (or best depending on how you look at it) I never got that bad of gas mileage on my RG. Good luck and hope you get it fixed soon!

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
Your dealer is an Ass! find some one else to wrench on your bike and let the dealer know why after the new place fixes your bike.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts