Road Glide banner

MT bound!

3K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  Punishher7 
#1 ·
So after not being back to my childhood home since my step father passed away in 2006 I am going to make the trek west to visit family for a few days. I am leaving from St Robert MO next Wednesday enroute Missoula MT. It is a little more than 1600 miles one way. I am planning on camping along the way. I have been prepping my gear for a few weeks now and will be changing fluids on Sunday. This is going to be my longest trip on a bike yet and I am stoked to say the least. It will also be my first crack at motorcycle camping. I plan on eating in restaurants but will sleep on the ground in my pup tent. I haven't figured out exactly where I will be staying or the route as of yet. I figure I'll just keep an eye out for camping areas when I start getting tired or my ass gets too sore! I will try to take pics of anything interesting along the way and share them here. Also depending on how the miles feel on my way there I may attempt an iron butt on the way back. I'm really looking forward to the adventure and welcome any input or advise y'all want to give.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#2 ·
Check out Red Lodge, Beartooth Pass, Yellowstone, Glacier National Park if you get a chance. If you get near the West gate of Glacier, Lake 5 Resort is awesome and has camping.

#8 ·
Don't forget a pair of long johns! What a memory you are creating!!!

#11 ·
I normally pick out several KOA campgrounds or others along my route to potentially stop at. The actual distance I make each day varies so this always gives me options. KOA's tend to have nice accommodations and pitching a tent rarely requires reservations ahead of time. Have fun and enjoy your journey.

#13 ·
I was forced to pull out early for home. I had to cross a pass no matter which way I went and they were all calling for snow tonight and tomorrow. I rode a little short of 600 miles today. I had a wet start but it dried up around 1pm or so in ID. I had a new event happen while crossing a pass outside Salt Lake City. I had reduced power and the engine was pinging. I hope it was just the combination of elevation and shitty fuel I picked up out in BFE.

#14 ·
I made it back home a bit ago. Round trip miles. Odometer Vehicle Auto part Speedometer Gauge

It really was an incredible ride. I saw so much of the country. I pushed pretty hard while on the road with a couple 800 mile days so I didn't take many photos. Other than some pinging at high altitude the bike ran great. Is that something that true autotune like the thunder max would eliminate. I currently have the power vision with narrow band only.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.