Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to the forum and we are starting to plan a trip to Colorado next summer. We want to do Pikes Peak and Mt Evans for sure. Looking for a cheap place to stay in the area. Also anything else that is a must ride in that area. We will have about 5 days out there. Thanks Bob

·
Registered
885 Posts
End July is shark week in Durango if it fits in your plans. Lots of info within the thread in here about shark week 8.

I know, not a lot of help for you. We are planning on going and it will be our first time to Colorado.

Welcome to the forum from Ontario Canada.

04 RG

·
Registered
515 Posts
I live in CO at 7200' about 25 miles from Pikes Peak Highway. Lived and ridden here for 15 years, I'd be happy to help with trip planning based on time budget, and personal priorities. Shark Week VIII in July in Durango, about 6 hours west of the Front Range.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Will be following this thread. I am also considering a ride to CO in '18. Will be with a group of 4-5 bikes. I know of the Million Dollar Hwy, But would like other suggestions on scenic routes and POI. Also best time of year due to traveling in higher elevations. Typically due a Sept. trip but maybe to late? Same time frame as OP with approx. 4-5 days in state. Shark week sounds great, but probably of no interest to the rest of my pose,as I'm the only one with enough sense to ride a shark. LOL Any advice from locals or those that have visited is much appreciated.Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Will be following this thread. I am also considering a ride to CO in '18. Will be with a group of 4-5 bikes. I know of the Million Dollar Hwy, But would like other suggestions on scenic routes and POI. Also best time of year due to traveling in higher elevations. Typically due a Sept. trip but maybe to late? Same time frame as OP with approx. 4-5 days in state. Shark week sounds great, but probably of no interest to the rest of my pose,as I'm the only one with enough sense to ride a shark. LOL Any advice from locals or those that have visited is much appreciated.Thanks in advance.
I gave bubbak some info, send me a PM if you have any questions about CO rides. So many people have helped me with trip planning in their neck of the woods, glad to return the favor.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Another don't miss road is Hwy. 149 starting from the south at the town of South Fork on Hwy. 160 going north to Hwy. 50 near Gunnison. Hwy.50 runs across the state east to west and you will find there is less traffic south of Hwy.50 and more traffic north of Hwy.50.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Welcome from Florida! I have to say in all of my years riding Colorado was by far my favorite! When I lived in NM we would ride up the Million Dollar Highway (550) through Durango north to Ouray and Montrose. Ouray is small but a GREAT place to plan an over-nighter! Incredible scenery!

Also, I love back roads and small towns so we took a trip through Creede (149)... now THAT was some beautiful riding. That ride took us east out of Durango to Pagosa Springs (160) (had to ride Wolf Creek Pass since my dad was a trucker all of his life and I always told myself that I would). It isn't what it used to be, that's for sure, but beautiful nonetheless! Continued up 160 to 149 and north we went!

Ride safe!

·
Registered
254 Posts
We hit Mt. Evans on our trip out west this past summer. I hate to say it, but I would skip Mt. Evans. Pikes Peak is a much better ride and better scenery IMO. But that road up Mt. Evans SUCKS.

They told us at the gate that mile 9 had some damage and to take it slow. But if you ask me, that roads needs to be shut down until they have it fixed. My buddies and my bikes have rattles now that we've never had before. Some of the pot holes and crevices (grand canyon doesn't have much on them) are treacherous to ride through.

maybe they'll have it fixed before you go if you try it.

·
Registered
692 Posts
+1 on skipping Mt. Evans. I’ve been in a snow storm there in July. And the last part of the road is just plain bad.
If you’re anywhere near Laramie or Ft. Collins and have the time, CO Hwy14 East to the town of Walden will take you through some amazingly beautiful country following Poudre Canyon.
Check it on a map to see if it would fit your plans.
Good luck and welcome from Texas (in the winter) and Colorado (May - November!)

From visit Fort Collins.com:
“The Poudre (pronounced poo-der) is Colorado’s only nationally designated “Wild & Scenic” River. Colorado Highway 14, which follows much of the river, is designated a Colorado Scenic and Historic Byway between Fort Collins and the town of Walden.”

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sand Dunes Nat'l Park in that area. Also Black Canyons of Gunnison, Hwy 550, Loveland Pass, Independence Pass , Grand Mesa all cool places to ride. You can spend long days or weeks riding all beautiful places in Colorado.

·
Registered
515 Posts
So true of many states, but yes there's something about the C O...just wait til Durango! Also, avoid Denver at all costs. I mean like the PLAGUE

1 - 20 of 21 Posts