Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings all!

I just traded my '01 Road King for a 2012 Road Glide Ultra. I would like some advice on changing out the mufflers.
The dealership installed 5-1/2" Monster Ovals on this bike and it is really too quiet! I called Vance and Hines and they told me all their Monster series mufflers are designed to be "stereo-friendly"! I am looking for advice on what the best mufflers would be that are deep and loud. I've had suggestions on Vance & Hines Twin slash ovals, Rinehart 4.5 Moto's and Thunder Headers.

Can any of you please give me your opinions on which is the best? And also, since I got the 2 yr. extended warranty would I need to get the dealership to change them and would they need to do any tuning to the bike (electronically, etc.)?

Thanks so much in advance!

Mark T-Wolf

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
Greetings all!

I just traded my '01 Road King for a 2012 Road Glide Ultra. I would like some advice on changing out the mufflers.
The dealership installed 5-1/2" Monster Ovals on this bike and it is really too quiet! I called Vance and Hines and they told me all their Monster series mufflers are designed to be "stereo-friendly"! I am looking for advice on what the best mufflers would be that are deep and loud. I've had suggestions on Vance & Hines Twin slash ovals, Rinehart 4.5 Moto's and Thunder Headers.

Can any of you please give me your opinions on which is the best? And also, since I got the 2 yr. extended warranty would I need to get the dealership to change them and would they need to do any tuning to the bike (electronically, etc.)?

Mark T-Wolf
I have the V&H 2 -1 twin slash muff on a decatted stock head pipe. It sounds pretty good, definitely not a quiet muff but not the loudest either.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
The Vance and Hines high outputs have the sound I think your after , and they install this brand at your dealer.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Muffler Advice

Greetings all!

Mark T-Wolf
Depends on how loud you want. I listened to a video of the Monster Ovals and they sounded quiet. May have been the video. I am a fan of Rinehart. My Rineharts on my VROD actually damaged my ears over the years. Rinehart's on a Road Glide may not be as loud. My brother has Rinehart's on his and I really like the "grunt" and sound.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have S&S MK45 slip one stock headers. Going to 4” Rinehart slip one no packing around baffles and Jackpot XXX ceramic coated Stainelss Steel Header. Hoping to be loud but not to loud.

·
Registered
656 Posts
does your bike still have cat header?if so change to a fm or cut the core out-will make a big difference in sound-ksl had some 4" rineharts for 200.00

·
Registered
575 Posts
CFR's

I have the CFR's on my Ultra with S&S headpipes and they are the deepest and loudest exhaust I've ever run. They will be for sale soon as I'm going back to a 2 into 1 as soon as I get the rest of my parts to do a 124. Let me know if you think you might be interested, these are the 16 and earlier style.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I have S&S MK45 slip one stock headers. Going to 4” Rinehart slip one no packing around baffles and Jackpot XXX ceramic coated Stainelss Steel Header. Hoping to be loud but not to loud.
Nott to get off subject but what do you think of the S&S mufflers you have and why are ya ditching em?:nerd:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts