Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all!

I just traded my '01 Road King for a 2012 Road Glide Ultra. I would like some advice on changing out the mufflers.
The dealership installed 5-1/2" Monster Ovals on this bike and it is really too quiet! I called Vance and Hines and they told me all their Monster series mufflers are designed to be "stereo-friendly"! I am looking for advice on what the best mufflers would be that are deep and loud. I've had suggestions on Vance & Hines Twin slash ovals, Rinehart 4.5 Moto's and Thunder Headers.

Can any of you please give me your opinions on which is the best? And also, since I got the 2 yr. extended warranty would I need to get the dealership to change them and would they need to do any tuning to the bike (electronically, etc.)?

Thanks so much in advance!

Mark T-Wolf

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Coming from a Road King, you have to decide how important hearing the radio is to you now that you're on a RG. Like you mentioned, you might want to go stereo-friendly. As far as a tune, on a 2012, if you only put on slip ons, you won't need a tune. Any additional changes, such as an air cleaner, you will. I had Screamin Eagle slip ons on my 2011, and they were loud enough for me, without interfering with the radio. Also, you don't have to have the dealer do the install to protect your warranty but you will have to install "warranty friendly" parts and tuner.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Vance & Hines Big Shots

They wake the dead, but I like them.
They came with glass wrapped baffles, which I never installed.
Stereos are overrated in my opinion.
It's useful if you're working in the garage or something, but wind noise alone on the highway sort of negates their use, in my opinion.

This is a 2010 FLTRX, I have a Dyno Power Commander V and Heavy Breather Intake.

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
You're going to get a million opinions here as sound is relative to your ears. On my 2011 FLHTK I had Rhinehart True Duals and loved them, while a Brother of mine had CFR slip-ons and I thought they were loud as hell but he loved them. It really comes down to your ears.

Like geo said though, if you are only doing slip-ons you wont need a tune at all and you can even do them on your own if you want.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I have Cobra Speedster Duals W/power port on my 15. Deep rumble when cruising and a good bark when I get on it .

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
I'm running a V&H Twin slash on a 2-1 pipe. Sounds pretty loud especially when you roll on the throttle. V&H does a good job on chrome too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had S&S MK45's put on with the stage III kit. very deep rumble I am growing used to and warranty friendly (at least at my dealership).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts