Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 07 Road Glide I had a mute switch next to my ACC switch. It came in handy when I'd stop to talk while at waiting on a traffic light. My 2013 doesn't have a Mute switch. Is there a way to use the ACC to mute my radio?

·
Registered
708 Posts
On my 07 Road Glide I had a mute switch next to my ACC switch. It came in handy when I'd stop to talk while at waiting on a traffic light. My 2013 doesn't have a Mute switch. Is there a way to use the ACC to mute my radio?
If you hold down the volume control on your bars it will skip to mute the radio.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
If you hold down the volume control on your bars it will skip to mute the radio.
yeah, that's the dumbest thing i've ever heard. why have a 'mute' when you're basically turning the radio down to zero? then you've got to turn it back up again, may or may not be where you had it.

i noticed this when i would turn my radio down to come through the security checkpoint on post where i work. thought then, and still do, that a 'one touch' mute would have been a much better option.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Ha!

yeah, that's the dumbest thing i've ever heard. why have a 'mute' when you're basically turning the radio down to zero? then you've got to turn it back up again, may or may not be where you had it.

i noticed this when i would turn my radio down to come through the security checkpoint on post where i work. thought then, and still do, that a 'one touch' mute would have been a much better option.
I think, I could be wrong though, that the responder was being a smartass.
Ya see, I'm a smartass myself and we can spot each other miles away! :rolleyes:
Mute button! That's funny! :D

HSP

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
I think, I could be wrong though, that the responder was being a smartass.
Ya see, I'm a smartass myself and we can spot each other miles away! :rolleyes:
Mute button! That's funny! :D

HSP
maybe he was, but if you turn the radio down all the way, in the display it shows 'mute'.....

thats what i was referring to.

·
Registered
708 Posts

Right Over His Head...

Oh and that's the laziest thing I have ever heard...

baba booey, baba booey, baba booey

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Right Over His Head...

Oh and that's the laziest thing I have ever heard...

baba booey, baba booey, baba booey
sorry, nothing went 'over my head'... i was just commenting on something i thought was ridiculous.

go ahead, talk trash if you want, but if you turn your volume down all the way, the display reads mute. have you ever tried it? did you notice that? kinda dumb isn't it?

and if a one touch button mute is so lazy, why do almost all other manufacturers have it? oh wait, never mind, its because they're promoting laziness in our society.....

and thanks rageglide for agreeing

·
Registered
708 Posts
sorry, nothing went 'over my head'... i was just commenting on something i thought was ridiculous.

go ahead, talk trash if you want, but if you turn your volume down all the way, the display reads mute. have you ever tried it? did you notice that? kinda dumb isn't it?

and if a one touch button mute is so lazy, why do almost all other manufacturers have it? oh wait, never mind, its because they're promoting laziness in our society.....

and thanks rageglide for agreeing
Talk trash??? Your 1st comment "that's the dumbest thing i've ever heard" directed towards me was uncalled for. Did you think a comment like that would go unanswered?

Have a Good Night and Good Luck to you...

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
i'm afraid you totally misunderstood. what i was referring to as the dumbest thing, was the fact that you had to turn the radio down all the way and it showed mute in the display. it was not directed at you at all.... sorry you took it that way.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
i'm afraid you totally misunderstood.
I'm afraid that everyone who replied to my thread misunderstood. I asked if there is a way to wire the ACC switch to mute my radio. So far, nobody has answered my question. I'm not picking on you Scratch, you just said what I was thinking.

So far, 245 people have viewed this thread. I can't be the only person interested in this topic.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'm afraid that everyone who replied to my thread misunderstood. I asked if there is a way to wire the ACC switch to mute my radio. So far, nobody has answered my question. I'm not picking on you Scratch, you just said what I was thinking.

So far, 245 people have viewed this thread. I can't be the only person interested in this topic.
I was curious to see how that would be done, but not curious enough to go figure it out my self, lol.

A mute button would be nice, but honestly it doesn't take that long to turn the radio down, especially if you turn it down before you stop. Just add this to the list of reasons to replace the stock stereo, almost any aftermarket stereo will have a mute button.

Good luck in your search, I'm sure someone has the knowledge, they just need to see the thread. :)

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
My Ultra has a switch to go to just headphones. It's not muting the system but shuts off the speakers. Must be a way to do something similar fir the Roadglides if they don't have this option.

·
Registered
708 Posts
i'm afraid you totally misunderstood. what i was referring to as the dumbest thing, was the fact that you had to turn the radio down all the way and it showed mute in the display. it was not directed at you at all.... sorry you took it that way.
It's all good. Sorry for my misunderstanding. Happy Easter Skratch!!!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts

Understood, just didn't have an answer. The older radio obviously had a circuit that performed the mute using the existing switch set (which was more like Ultra than current non-ultras).

The older set up also had the speaker switch in the console. I can't remember if that was only controlling the rear speakers if you added them. I suppose you could use a couple relays wired up to break the connections to the speaker. But I think that'd probably introduce audio issues...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Understood, just didn't have an answer. The older radio obviously had a circuit that performed the mute using the existing switch set (which was more like Ultra than current non-ultras).

The older set up also had the speaker switch in the console. I can't remember if that was only controlling the rear speakers if you added them. I suppose you could use a couple relays wired up to break the connections to the speaker. But I think that'd probably introduce audio issues...
Now that you mention that, my 09 Glide had a speaker switch on the console, and it was 3 position, all speakers, just front, or off, so I guess it worked as a mute switch. So the kit for that install exists out there somewhere, and there's already a spot for it on your dash.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
If you want to push a button to mute it push the power button, My 2009 has a switch to change from front to back or both speakers ( not actually a "mute" button ), and without the back speakers could use that to mute it but its easier for me to turn it down.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
If you want to push a button to mute it push the power button, My 2009 has a switch to change from front to back or both speakers ( not actually a "mute" button ), and without the back speakers could use that to mute it but its easier for me to turn it down.
but, it's a road glide. the radio is too far away to reach :D

at this point in the game, a push button mute is really no big deal. i have to go through a checkpoint daily, so i've kinda gotten used to just turning it down all the way now myself.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Ok Just thought this up. It chould work "IF" you run an amp.

Wire the remote (turn on) wire on the amp to a switch. Switch it off the amp should go off and no signal to the speakers. When you switch it back on, it will be at the same volume because you would have not made any change to the head units volume control.

Should is the keyword here. This is just a theory.

NOW will it do damage to your speakers or your amp? I'm not sure.

If your amp brings the volume back up in a blast when you are at high volume you can blow a speaker. I guess you could test by just disconnecting the remote wire while the radio is on and at a low volume. If the volume fades back to where you left it you should be golden.

You could put the switch on the switch panel at the base of the bars.

Want a push button? Use a relay with a momentary switch button. What would work best is if they make a relay that is always on and turns off when switched. I don't know if they make them like that. I never needed one.

I don't plan on doing this mod because I do not need a mute. But its been bugging me for a couple of days.

DISCLAIMER try this at your own risk. ;)

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Ok Just thought this up. It chould work "IF" you run an amp.

Wire the remote (turn on) wire on the amp to a switch. Switch it off the amp should go off and no signal to the speakers. When you switch it back on, it will be at the same volume because you would have not made any change to the head units volume control.

Should is the keyword here. This is just a theory.

NOW will it do damage to your speakers or your amp? I'm not sure.

If your amp brings the volume back up in a blast when you are at high volume you can blow a speaker. I guess you could test by just disconnecting the remote wire while the radio is on and at a low volume. If the volume fades back to where you left it you should be golden.

You could put the switch on the switch panel at the base of the bars.

Want a push button? Use a relay with a momentary switch button. What would work best is if they make a relay that is always on and turns off when switched. I don't know if they make them like that. I never needed one.

I don't plan on doing this mod because I do not need a mute. But its been bugging me for a couple of days.

DISCLAIMER try this at your own risk. ;)
There is a relay out there on the market with the "always on" you speak of. On a 5 pin relay the middle pin is the NC or normally closed position. I'm pretty sure it's labeled as 87a. You can run a momentary switch or even a toggle switch to trip the relay to open the circuit you want to cut the power to. I use them in one of my Trucks to get a "wig wag" effect using my amber drls and front turn signals.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts