Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So. Last couple days I have been paying attention to some things on this bike. Compared to my 16. Outwardly the only real difference between the two is the Chrome and Black. I'm setting this one up about the same.

Before I start. If it was. Ot for a misread medical report I would still he ecstatic with my 16 and had zero need or want for a new bike. I had more mods planned. It was to be the 100k mile bike.

I see people want to compare a built 103 to a 114. That's not apples to apples. That's hot apple pie to applesauce. Stock to Stock is a better comparison.

My 103 stage 1 with the bulletproof cam chest was a great motor. Loved how it ran and it did everything I needed it to do. Maine to Alabama to Wyoming in the 2.5 years I had it. (6 month riding season if we're lucky)

The 114" well... Ya, It's got gobs of power over the 103. Less downshifting is the one thing I noticed. Just twist and the power rolls right on. No lag like the 103. Not dogging the 103 at all. The 114" at times seems hotter. my 103 had no Cat. But when it did it was hotter all the time than the 114.

I had progressive monotubes up front. And man what an improvement. My 19. Believe it or not is pretty close to how the monotubes felt. No quite. But impressively close. I want to drop the front an inch. With how this is valued I may just do progressive spring's and heavy fork oil.

The stock rear shocks are about the same. No noticable noticeable improvement there. Bike is getting some Ohlins. So I'm excited to see what all the hub bub is about.

Where the stock 16 had its cornering issues like a little wander. Theres zero on the 19. I know everyone hates the stock set up. I've never minded it. The dive is what I hated. But the 19 is far better than the stock 16. And no worse than with my monotubes.

Braking. About the same. My 16 had Linked ABS.

Boom GTS. Now here's a big improvement over the 16. This stereo is not only louder but a lot better sound quality. The bike comes with the stage 1 2 way speakers. It starts fast. Loads fast. Maps are fast. Inputting a destination is fast. You can pinch and zoom like.your cell phone. The HUD is cool. No more watching the screen scroll "reading usb" fucking hated that. I have yet to have a flash of sun glare hit me. My mirrors have but not the screen. And I've had the sun over my shoulder.

At the end if the day. I miss my 16. It had everything I wanted the way I wanted it. The mix of black and chrome. I considered a used 16 I lived that bike so much. But the smart money went to the new bike. And it's a beauty. But it's like everyone else's. But the older i get. The less i care about that. It will have my touch to it. And that's all i need. Its mine.

I'll open up the floor for questions at this time. :nerd:

???

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
So. Last couple days I have been paying attention to some things on this bike. Compared to my 16. Outwardly the only real difference between the two is the Chrome and Black. I'm setting this one up about the same.

Before I start. If it was. Ot for a misread medical report I would still he ecstatic with my 16 and had zero need or want for a new bike. I had more mods planned. It was to be the 100k mile bike.

I see people want to compare a built 103 to a 114. That's not apples to apples. That's hot apple pie to applesauce. Stock to Stock is a better comparison.

My 103 stage 1 with the bulletproof cam chest was a great motor. Loved how it ran and it did everything I needed it to do. Maine to Alabama to Wyoming in the 2.5 years I had it. (6 month riding season if we're lucky)

The 114" well... Ya, It's got gobs of power over the 103. Less downshifting is the one thing I noticed. Just twist and the power rolls right on. No lag like the 103. Not dogging the 103 at all. The 114" at times seems hotter. my 103 had no Cat. But when it did it was hotter all the time than the 114.

I had progressive monotubes up front. And man what an improvement. My 19. Believe it or not is pretty close to how the monotubes felt. No quite. But impressively close. I want to drop the front an inch. With how this is valued I may just do progressive spring's and heavy fork oil.

The stock rear shocks are about the same. No noticable noticeable improvement there. Bike is getting some Ohlins. So I'm excited to see what all the hub bub is about.

Where the stock 16 had its cornering issues like a little wander. Theres zero on the 19. I know everyone hates the stock set up. I've never minded it. The dive is what I hated. But the 19 is far better than the stock 16. And no worse than with my monotubes.

Braking. About the same. My 16 had Linked ABS.

Boom GTS. Now here's a big improvement over the 16. This stereo is not only louder but a lot better sound quality. The bike comes with the stage 1 2 way speakers. It starts fast. Loads fast. Maps are fast. Inputting a destination is fast. You can pinch and zoom like.your cell phone. The HUD is cool. No more watching the screen scroll "reading usb" fucking hated that. I have yet to have a flash of sun glare hit me. My mirrors have but not the screen. And I've had the sun over my shoulder.

At the end if the day. I miss my 16. It had everything I wanted the way I wanted it. The mix of black and chrome. I considered a used 16 I lived that bike so much. But the smart money went to the new bike. And it's a beauty. But it's like everyone else's. But the older i get. The less i care about that. It will have my touch to it. And that's all i need. Its mine.

I'll open up the floor for questions at this time. :nerd:

???
So what your saying is both bikes were and are badass.

LOL

Swomack

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you selling the Trike or are you keeping it ?

Just curious

Swomack
Traded in the 2015 trike and gave the wife the 19. I'll tell ya. The 103 in the trike had the absolute quietest top end I have ever heard on a twin cam. Not a rattle or a tap. And when we traded it there was 11500 miles on it.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Sounds either way like a win, win for ya, I am sure when it's out of warranty and you do, if you do decide to ditch the cat and cams it will be fun a shit, not that it's not now, but like you said your personal touch, I have been to tinkering with the idea of a trade, thought about it last year but put if off, it's a tough call, so I can see what you say when you miss your old bike. The new scoot is a real beauty, nest of luck with it and all your future mods.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds either way like a win, win for ya, I am sure when it's out of warranty and you do, if you do decide to ditch the cat and cams it will be fun a shit, not that it's not now, but like you said your personal touch, I have been to tinkering with the idea of a trade, thought about it last year but put if off, it's a tough call, so I can see what you say when you miss your old bike. The new scoot is a real beauty, nest of luck with it and all your future mods.
Ya. This was kinda for the on the fence guys with the TCs. They're great bikes. You dont need to go new. Yep. There's improvements. Some pretty good ones. But that 15' 16 era is not old tech. Few tweaks and you're good. Short of the GTS Boom system. That's not backwards compatible.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I hear that on my 2011 FLTRX I have upgraded about everything I could think of, so to sell or trade it in is tough, got 41k and yes new bike sounds great ,going to stash some more greenba Ms may e in a year or two.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
.... that 15' 16 era is not old tech. Few tweaks and you're good
....... i know that i really like my '16, and have no interest in a new machine until ....
.... wait for it
................ until they build one'a them new FLTRKs in yellow.
.. .................... ya'll didn't think i'd given up on that, did'a ?

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
I think the new bikes are fantastic and would love the 114 c.i. verse my 103 c.i. but my 2015 RGS is still rock solid after 54,000+ miles.

I also have done every mod that I wanted to do to this bike and starting all over again kills me just thinking about it.

Your wife must be very happy with the 2019 trike.

Looking forward in seeing what you end up doing with your newest sled brother.

Swomack

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I don't miss my old '12 twin cam at all. I had a few non road glide Harleys between the '12 and now '19 RGS but there were so many more features on the 2019 RGS that I'm glad I didn't purchase any RG between getting rid of my 2012 (I did keep this for 5 years) and buying this new one.

·
Registered
855 Posts
If I could have kept them all, I would have kept them all for one reason or another. Money became seriously tight, and well...... The 19 hits on every which way for me, and i am thankful for that..... sneak mods in when $ shows up. Have a great day all!

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
I had zero plans to get rid of my 2013 cvo. I loved that bike, and thought that it rode/performed well. well, after it was totaled, picked up a 19. this bike is superior in so many ways. I almost don't miss it :D

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
No doubt fellas the new bikes have some nice options that I would love, money is the biggest hurdle for me, I definitely want a special all blacked out with lowers and a full size tourpak, so that being said , need to save up, cannot deny the advantages of the new scoot, one thing that have heard some people disappointed in, was the sound of the exhaust compared to the twin Cam, if my new bike was not as loud I think I would be disappointed, but maybe with the right exhaust that can be remedied. Definitely shooting for one down the line, and for the guys that have one, kudos to you, can't knock ya. Fine looking machines .

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Road Dawg I hear you on the upgrades. I bought my 09 in 2015 with 1040 miles on it and it was totally stock. Zero aftermarket parts, or Harley "Upgraded parts. Ive poured all my detailing profits into when I could, but Im still not done. I want to put lowers on it but on a 09 its a little more complicated.

I would love to have a new bike, but my Avalanche has 212,000 miles on it and it has to make it 10 more years, so at some point a new motor will be going in when it needs it, only drive 12 miles a day. Bought a new house last year with a gigantic pool. Wife thinks we should put money into the house before the bike. Really!!!

For the guys with the new bikes, absolute congratulations! Id love to have a new one though as much as the next guy. Ive looked for sure and wanted to say F**** it and buy it but I couldn't do it. I have a plan and Im sticking to it. RFG, that is a good lucking bike sir!

I get you cant compare a TC with go fast parts to a stock M8. But the M8 has a distinct advantage from the get go also.

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
one thing that have heard some people disappointed in, was the sound of the exhaust compared to the twin Cam, if my new bike was not as loud I think I would be disappointed, but maybe with the right exhaust that can be remedied. Definitely shooting for one down the line, and for the guys that have one, kudos to you, can't knock ya. Fine looking machines .
in stock form, yes, it's very quiet. i put a set of rinehart slip ons (4'') with the stock headpipe and i think it sounds pretty good. maybe i'm just old and deaf, but i really can't tell the difference between the twin cam, and the m8. maybe side by side i could, but when i hear a bike rip down the road, it either sounds good, or it sounds like poo poo, but that is a reflection of the owners choice in pipes, baffles (or not), etc.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Road Dawg I hear you on the upgrades. I bought my 09 in 2015 with 1040 miles on it and it was totally stock. Zero aftermarket parts, or Harley "Upgraded parts. Ive poured all my detailing profits into when I could, but Im still not done. I want to put lowers on it but on a 09 its a little more complicated.

I would love to have a new bike, but my Avalanche has 212,000 miles on it and it has to make it 10 more years, so at some point a new motor will be going in when it needs it, only drive 12 miles a day. Bought a new house last year with a gigantic pool. Wife thinks we should put money into the house before the bike. Really!!!

For the guys with the new bikes, absolute congratulations! Id love to have a new one though as much as the next guy. Ive looked for sure and wanted to say F**** it and buy it but I couldn't do it. I have a plan and Im sticking to it. RFG, that is a good lucking bike sir!

I get you cant compare a TC with go fast parts to a stock M8. But the M8 has a distinct advantage from the get go also.
Like I said. I was happy with my 16. Even happier I had a year left and it was paid off. I love the 19. But bumped back up to 4 years. That I'm not remotely happy about. That light at the end of the tunnel was this bike coming at me. Lol.

One big advantage is I dont have a mortgage. If i had a mortgage. the one that's now a rental property. Id be on the 11 RGU still. When I initially had my heart attacks I pulled out my savings and went debt free (ya. That's over. Lol) But I wanted the wife to have a safety net if I died. I seen too many friends die and leave the wife selling everything and living poor after losing it all. That didnt sit right with me. Fortunately I got better. A lot better.

None of this was a plan. Plan was 100k on the 16. Rebuild it and paint it. And then another 100k. Her 15 was all she wanted.

Want to have shit go haywire? Tell God your plans.

But I'm done. That you can bet on. I'd take the over if you guys are betting. Lol. This M8 will be ugh. I'm not saying it. I know what will happen. Lol.

Thanks for the compliment on the bike. I'm growing more and more attached every day.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Your a good man brotha, great way of thinking, but your right, a few years back I had a plan, and that took a hit pretty quick, don't want to get into detail but it definitely threw me for a loop, and my mortgage is ridiculous on the island, I am very content with my scoot, and as Philly said we got other priorities that take presidence over certain things, on a positive note we have out health and our rides and making good use of them, which we should all be grateful for.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Your a good man brotha, great way of thinking, but your right, a few years back I had a plan, and that took a hit pretty quick, don't want to get into detail but it definitely threw me for a loop, and my mortgage is ridiculous on the island, I am very content with my scoot, and as Philly said we got other priorities that take presidence over certain things, on a positive note we have out health and our rides and making good use of them, which we should all be grateful for.
I can imagine. I was a North Jersey Teamster and I lived in Lower Bucks County PA. My mortgage there was 2800 a month. I made great money. But the defibrillator took away my DOT card. No more driving truck. No more big money. I had to refinance the house to a lower payment and rent it out so I didnt lose it. Fortunately my brother needed a place. I rent it for what the mortgage is. so no profit. But I didnt lose it. Which is what was happening. Cost of living where I am is stupid cheap.

And ya. Your bike is badass. I seen it. You're surely not settling. If I could go back 4 months. I would.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I bought My 12 Custom brand new in 2012 and it is all paid for.
I wrecked it in 2013 and rebuilt it myself.
I've toyed with the idea of a 20, because of the numbers, but nothing remotely has caught my eye.
Since I have My Glide where I want it, engine wise, sound wise, looks wise and otherwise, I don't want to get rid of it.
Not having a garage would make it nearly impossible to have two bikes so My Plan is to keep My'12 and if the motor or anything else ever goes just fix it and continue.
I guess only time will tell.
Ride On My Brothers!
Till The End!
Mike U.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts