Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so im new to having a harley. 3 weeks. Bought a 2007 road glide with the 96 ci. Came home tonight has been running great snd pulled off the highway clutch in and died. Throttle wouldnt bring it back. It fired right bsck up. Yes there is plenty of gas. I was doing 55 for about 7 miles in 6th gear. Was wondering if i shoukd have atayed in 5th???? Sorry for what might be a dumb question but could use some input. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Ok so im new to having a harley. 3 weeks. Bought a 2007 road glide with the 96 ci. Came home tonight has been running great snd pulled off the highway clutch in and died. Throttle wouldnt bring it back. It fired right bsck up. Yes there is plenty of gas. I was doing 55 for about 7 miles in 6th gear. Was wondering if i shoukd have atayed in 5th???? Sorry for what might be a dumb question but could use some input. Thanks in advance.
No. The gear don't matter. 55 in 6th is not a big deal. Had it done it again? Or just the one time?

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
Just a guess but maybe you need to change the fuel filter. 55mph in 6th gear wouldn't cause your problem. Clean or replace the air filter and putting in new spark plugs wouldn't hurt either.

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
Are you sure you didn't bump the kill switch ? Like Mark said start with new plugs and a new AC element , then move on to a fuel filter. All this can be done under a shade tree with limited tools.

Reactions: michaelgrudgings

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
Sorry to hear that, I hope you figure it out soon. Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
116 Posts
My 2012 shut off on me a couple of times while riding and it turned out to be the ignition switch. It would move just enough to shut the bike down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just wanted to introduce myself,I've been lurking for awhile because I'm still on an 07 Roadking103. Got my bike new and the first year I had it to the dealer several times because the motor would die after coming to a stop but would always restart. They finally had a recall to put a new O-ring in the idle valve or idle circuit, I can't remember the exact terminology. But it has never died again. Do a recall search or ask the dealer if you have one you can trust. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
927 Posts
It could have been the gasoline. I have the same happen after it sat for a while with 10% ethanol gas without stable being added, carburetor bike & fuel injection truck.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Lmao

Are you sure you didn't bump the kill switch ? Like Mark said start with new plugs and a new AC element , then move on to a fuel filter. All this can be done under a shade tree with limited tools.

I laugh because on my first night run with my new RG, I totally bumped the kill switch signaling a lane change on the highway. Freaking out I pulled it over to the side of the road and hit the flashers. Before I could figure out what the heck happened a guy with a trailer pulled over and asked if everything was OK. I had just then figured out what happened and started the bike back up, that was a tough one to admit to on the side of the road, even to a guy I did not know.:surprise:

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
I laugh because on my first night run with my new RG, I totally bumped the kill switch signaling a lane change on the highway. Freaking out I pulled it over to the side of the road and hit the flashers. Before I could figure out what the heck happened a guy with a trailer pulled over and asked if everything was OK. I had just then figured out what happened and started the bike back up, that was a tough one to admit to on the side of the road, even to a guy I did not know.:surprise:
It happens. I've hit it on accident before while running over a bump in the road.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I did that once on my old wide glide in a tunnel and when I switched it back on and bike fired back up again, an extremely loud bang came out of my pipes scaring the heck out of the other motorists around me lol.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. Cold weather, heavy gloves, unknown to me I hit the kill switch and lost all power in traffic. Scared the crap out of me. Coasted to the side and realized what had happened. Since then I have put a piece of black gorilla tape over the switch and just use the ignition switch. By the way, I don't like the new icons on the switches compared to the old run/stop words on my RKC.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Back on subject to the OP. Sounds like a possible fuel filter. My RK done the same thing after getting some dirty gas a week after Sturgis. Filter was black with sediment off the bottom of a tank.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just wondering if you figured it out?

When the bike died.........Did all the lights go out also? Gauges, headlights....etc?

If so, it would tell me that the ignition switch is suspect.

I had a bad switch on my '05 Glide a few years back.....my issue was a little different......you couldn't shut the ignition off. I would have to work the switch off/on several times to get the lights/power to actually shut off. I changed it out and that fixed my issues.

Now, several years later, I am experiencing issues again with the ignition switch (ok, It happened once last week)....riding along, the bike died....all the lights went out (it was at night).....headlights, radio, gauges. I pulled over to the side and cycled the ignition switch a couple times and everything came back on.....I started the bike up and continued on.

I see an ignition switch replacement in my future.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts