Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Black Denim '13 RGC build... "D VADR"

I bought this bike here about 3 months ago. It sat in my garage for about a month and I was able to ride it for about 3 days of one week before I decided, "Now is the time to do-it-to-it!"

It only had 383 miles, V&H pipes, LePera solo seat, Daymakers and a PM Airfilter. I had plans for it as soon as I saw it. Started ordering parts for it even before I got it home.

I sold a pretty much stock '07 Road King to a buddy and replaced it with this. This is my first "real" foray into the bagger world as all of my other bikes have been very stripped down, no battery having, magneto driven, kick only, rigid rear, springer front and spool wheel having bikes. This deal was very greek to me....so I enlisted Ken Nickel of Outlaw Custom Baggers in Bowling Green, Ky. (1.5 hours due south of me and he was a long time friend) and his expertise to help me put that thing together. It was moreso him doing most of the work with me trying not to get in his way slinging wrenches. We completed is over the course of three weekends and I'm thrilled with the way it has turned out so far.

It's not done yet of course. Bags and rear fender, some tunes and few other things to come next year. Ken was instrumental in getting it to this point and if you were ever wondering about him, I can say he very graciously helped me, answered a lot of dumbass (I'm sure) questions of mine and I couldn't have made this happen with out him.

I bought a couple of parts used from members on here and for the most part, everything was great! I appreciate that. I also used Paul from Native Custom Baggers for for a lot of the parts and his front air ride. I'd like to thank him for answering a lot of questions and giving me his guidance when ordering stuff for this.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

A parts list in case you were wondering:

Battistini:

Brake arm
Horn Cover
Shifters, Linkage and shift arm

Roland Sands Designs:

Cam cover
Clutch cover
Transmission Cover
Front master cylinder cover
9" Glider bars

Southern Motorcycle:

Front 21" Elite contrast cut wheel
Matching Air cleaner
Matching 13" brake rotor
Avon Cobra tire

Native Custom Baggers:

Front air ride
Lower fork legs (single sided)
Cowbells

Arnott:

Aldan 12" air ride rear suspension

Vance and Hines:

2 into 2 big radius pipes with no 02's for '09 Touring

Fuel Management:

Power Vision via Fuel Moto (great, great service too!)

various other pieces like Harley grips, drilled Harley levers, Joker Machine mirrors, Yaffe yaxel, Cyclesmith's 19" riveted banana boards, HHI 6piston caliper, Legacy Baggers dash/custom switch cover and ignition cover (Thanks Benji!), Klockwerks 8" windshield, SoCalMoto HID conversion headlights, Eddie Trotta front LED turn sginals and most all of the stock Harley pieces powder coated shiny black.

I've learned a great deal from this board and the people on it. I read it daily (even though I may not contribute all that much yet----as this stuff is still new to me---but I really appreciate all the advice I've been given and I didn't even have to ask. It was already out there.

I'll probably do the 30 tooth conversion next, then an air tank(s) and then all the rest mentioned above. I doubt I'll ever go to anything bigger wheel wise as I like how this one looks. With all the air out, the bottom of the frame is 3" off the ground and I have plenty of room between the front fender and the tree.

Thanks everyone for the help un and knowingly. I'm thrilled with it and just waiting for the weather to break here in Ky. so I can put some miles on her.

If anyone wants to see the "in-build" pics, I have those too. I just thought the end result was a little better looking!

Thanks everybody and I look forward to hooking up and riding with some of my Louisville and Southern Indiana brethren!

·
Super Moderator
12,315 Posts
Looks really good! :D Only thing I would do to top it off after recovering financially would be a stereo, and either extended bags, or a matching wheel. Definetly one good looking bike, I like a lot of the details. I think I saw your switch cover on FB, I like it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Looking good man. Ken is a good dude! He knows his stuff! Tell him to quit messing around and get a 30 on his lol!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
43 Posts
It was a blast working with you Tyler. Looks like we both have the same addiction again. From cars to bikes.

We are far from finished with D VADR. We got the front and all the goodies on there now to the back side.

See ya soon D VADR

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Great looking bike!! Have to say I agree on the look of the stance along with the bezel really sets it off......great job!!(so far) LOL

·
Registered
305 Posts
How high up can you get when you're aired up all the way? I'm considering a front and rear air ride. After i lowered the bike i drag it everywhere.

I'd like to be able to up as high as stock, if not higher, when I'm aired all the way up.

·
Registered
63 Posts
what do you think of the native front air ride and where did you get the piece to mount the switches by your ignition and where did you relocate your speedo button too? thanks for any help man

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
what do you think of the native front air ride and where did you get the piece to mount the switches by your ignition and where did you relocate your speedo button too? thanks for any help man
I like Paul's kit. It works well and was relatively easy to install. It goes up in spurts and take around 12-15 seconds to get up to ride height. The rear 12" Arnott Aldan kit takes around 6-8 seconds and goes up smoothly. I realize that if I had put an air tank on it, that both the front and rear would be instant up, but a tank wasn't in the cards right now.

It certainly helps to not be sitting on the bike when you put air back in to the shocks. It'll still pick you up with the bike, but it's just as easy to stand up off the seat or to the side and air it up.

Once I do bags and rear fender, I will put an air tank on it then, but not until then. No one makes a tank that you can really hide (that I've seen) and putting one or two in my bags in not an option. Our garage is big enough to hold her car and my bike, but to get the bike out I either leave both bags on and back her car out or take a or both bags off, pull the bike out and put them back on. That's enough of a pain without having to hook up airlines and whatnot too!

Benji from Legacy Baggers made my switch cover and ignition cover. I drew up the darth vader and sent it to him and just told him how I wanted the switch cover arranged. He sent me a proof of how they would look before he started and they turned out exactly how his proof looked. He can do jut about any configuration on the switch cover and you can tell him what font to use for the lettering and colors as well. I was his guinea pig on the cover and it fit perfectly.

As far as my trip meter button, I put it up in between the tach and speedo, like so...

Hope this helps

1 - 20 of 53 Posts