Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Coming up on a complete build in about another 15k. Having done a "fair amount" of research this is what I think I'll will go with.
The engine is "pretty much" a stock 96 with stage one and Feuling HV cam plate and HV oil pump.

1. Fuel Moto 107 kit w/TW 555 cams, IC cylinders and their tuner

2.S&S new crank and their roller rocker arms

3. Might have Zippers do a stage one on the heads. If not, I'll just have them cleaned up with new valve guides & valves & springs done at a local shop.

Also, think I'll install Barnett's Coil Spring Conversion Kit
http://www.barnettclutches.com/coil-spring-conversion-kit-1998-up-hd-big-twins.html. I plan on keeping my Dragos S/C/S 4's Header & pipe (2 in 1) along with the Feuling HV cam plate and HV oil pump, which will be rebuilt.

I realize I'm sticking my neck out here. Never the less, your thoughts.

Nevadasun

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Looks good,

Get the S&S Crank with the non-tapered rods, don't forget the S&S Premium Lifters...

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The kit comes with TW directional lifter so I'll stay with thoes. However, I'm well aware of the quality of S&S lifters.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
If you are splitting the cases for a new crank then I can't see why you wouldn't install the left Timkin bearing and I'd also suggest cutting the cases for larger bore jugs. The work is minimal at that point. With a few minor changes to your plan you could have a solid 117" or 124".

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I have to agree if you are splitting cases might as well go with 124 or 117 with timkin bearings.. you are right on the edge might as well go all in. I perfer darkhorse crank as well.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I agree. Go big. you're already there....

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
Save your money on the crank work! Just check the crank for crank run out if there is nothing wrong with your crank leave it alone, there are plenty of bikes that have 106 or 107 builds and run the stock crank with no problems.
Cleaning up your stock heads is a good idea but you really don't need stronger valve springs. I did the stronger SE valve springs on my stock heads and even though the heads perform well there is more valve noise.
Chance are real good that the stock valve guides are in good condition and they do not need replacement, the shop doing the heads will be able to tell if the guides are good or not.
There is no need for roller rockers unless you want a BIG HP build and you are running ball to the walls all the time.
If the oil pump is good then there is no need to rebuild it.
For just the normal touring rider the 107 with stock heads and a TW555 cam will give you more than enough get up and go and plenty of torque.
The stock clutch will work just fine with the SE clutch spring if you do have a problem then just go with the SE clutch pack which gets rid of the stock narrow clutch plate and dampener spring and dampener spring seat and replaces those parts with full friction plates.
Going from a 96 to a 107 is a big improvement in HP/torque and it should serve you well for your riding needs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts