Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Vacation for 3 weeks. (Day 1) I left Louisiana on 9/30/17 headed for California. I spent the first night in Amarillo, Texas. (Day 2) I stayed in Farmington, New Mexico. My original plan was to ride thru Utah to Hwy. 50 all the way across Nevada. (Day 3) After leaving Farmington, I went to Four Corners, New Mexico. After seeing the sights there I checked the weather in Ely, Nevada. It was snowing with high winds and temp. in the 20's, I altered my route. I then rode down thru the heart of Arizona to Flagstaff and on to Kingman where I holed up for the night. (Day 4) I went up Hwy 95 to Hawthorne, Nv. for the night. (Day 5) I went to Fallon, Carson City, South Lake Tahoe, Camp Richardson, Chester and over to Redding, Ca. where I holed up for another night.(Day 6) Had planned to ride 299 to Eureka but that rode is under construction so I went down I-5 to Williams. At Williams I picked up hwy 20 which carried me to Hwy 101 to Eureka, where I stayed the night. (Day 7) I got up and rode Hwy 101 to Oregon and back. I have been 3100 miles so far and I have 2 more weeks to go. Going to see the giant redwoods tomorrow. Hope to ride the PCH back down thru Cali. Going to go to Salton City and visit a guy there. Depending on my time frame, I will either travel to more places or head home. I am having a great time...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Hell Yeah! I was thinking about you not too long ago. Im glad your doing good. Looks and sounds like an awesome trip. Bring me back some of that California bud if you think about it! lol just joking....Ride safe and be careful in California. They ride side saddle over there...:kiss::kiss::kiss:lol

·
Registered
189 Posts
Congrats on the road trip. I am also on one like yours, going from Michigan around the US (west) to end up in Florida. I am also currently in CA, (Redding) and will be checking out the Redwoods tomorrow. Safe travels and hope to wave to your tomorrow!

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Congrats on the road trip. I am also on one like yours, going from Michigan around the US (west) to end up in Florida. I am also currently in CA, (Redding) and will be checking out the Redwoods tomorrow. Safe travels and hope to wave to your tomorrow!
Sounds like your riding my old stomping grounds in Cali.

I’ve ridden every square inch of Cali.

The ave of the gaints is something special and the coast up in northern Cali is also something special.

Enjoy the rest of your road trip and be safe.

Swomack

·
Registered
941 Posts
Lots of beautiful side roads to ride in and around the Redwoods. I've spent a few hours riding that area.

A suggestion for you, if you're riding south down Highway 1, just south of Albion, CA, take highway 128 east from the coast over to Cloverdale. It's a nice ride from the Coastal Redwoods into the Wine Country and you can pick up Highway 101 south from there. If you want to get back to Highway 1 again, you can go to Petaluma, CA and head out Highway 12 West and pick up the Bodega Bay Highway in Sebastopol, CA. This will take you back to Highway 1 just north of Tomales Bay.

Lots of good riding out there.

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
Sounds like a nice trip. Are you traveling by yourself ? Stay safe.

·
Registered
849 Posts
At the lower entrance to the Avenue of the Giants is a winery called River Bend Cellars that does tastings. They have a heavy dessert wine called Sasquatch that’s worth a try.

Too bad about CA 299, it’s a great ride through the Trinity Mountains. My brother’s place is on the Eureka side of Horse Mountain just past Willow Creek off of 299. He owns an off the grid winery and distillery in among the hemp farmers; some of the restaurants in Eureka carry his wine and spirits, Rock’s Ridge Winery and Dutch & Dewey Distillery Vodka, Gin, etc. Hope you had a chance to try some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
743 Posts
Well I might not ride the PCH after all. Looks like a lost cause from what I read. Thanks for the update on road conditions...
Probably the right choice unfortunately. It's all jacked up in the good spots and
south of Malibu it's just another congested city road...

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Glad to hear your doing OK and enjoying your vacation
Sounds like a great time making memories and smiles

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
Jus' lil ole me!...I couldn't find anyone with enough vacation time, money, or both. So here I am all alone but it's been a blast. So glad I am able to do this. Thanks for all the comments and advice guys...
One good thing about traveling alone is , you get to do everything you want to do .

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well I might not ride the PCH after all. Looks like a lost cause from what I read. Thanks for the update on road conditions...

The stretch from Oregon to the Golden Gate is the most beautiful section and this is a great time of year to ride it. No closures up there. After you ride the Avenue of Giants, head west to Ft Bragg and enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts