Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As some of you might know, I only just recently bought my first HD. I bought my 2001 RoadGlide in March with 39k miles on it from a local dealer. I do all my own maintenance and recently changed out all the fluids and filters. The oil that drained out was hideous. I've been doing some reading and got spooked reading up on this tensioner issue. So, I took it in to the dealer to get a look at the tensioners.

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1400426175.492218.jpg

Holy hell.

From what the mechanic said, the front shoe is worn bad and the rear one isn't much better. In fact, he said the rear one has a small crack in it. They only had one of the the tensioners in stock and had to order the other one so I'm not going to ride the bike again until I can get it in on Saturday the 24th for them to get replaced. Dodged a bullet on this one. Damn

Is there much advantage in buying the SE cam plate with hydraulic tensioners? Do they last much longer than these spring loaded ones?

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
483 Posts
From what I have read the newer hydraulic seem to last longer but I don't know if they have been around enough miles to know for sure.
If they are taking yours down for new tensioners have them check your crank run out while they have it apart you may be able to switch to a gear drive which removes any future problems from the tensioner issue .

·
Registered
593 Posts
Tensioners

Unless yours were changed at about 25k, the old material on those shoes was crap. The new material they use now is 5 times better. It would probably be worth the money and worry to change to hydraulics with the new material. probably wouldn't have to think about them for another 40k.

·
Registered
654 Posts
You could also go with tensioners from a company called Cyco Gasket. They make a very good tensioner for a cheaper price than MOCO. I personally went all out and had the S.E. hydrolid tensioner plate installed. It also comes with a new oil pump that has a higher rate of flow. Twinn Camm 88 engines should put out about 32 psi at 2000 RPM once warmed up. If you have much lower psi you should consider the S.E. hydrolic cam tensioner kit. It is more money though.

·
Registered
6,615 Posts
You would be much better off doing the cam plate upgrade with hydraulic tensioners. There are a lot of bikes out there that have 50,000 miles + and are still running the same hydraulic tensioner shoes.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
The rear usually wears quicker than the front. If there is a crack either replace or go with the up[grade set up. I did the upgrade on both my pre 07 bikes and had no issues with either.

My new bike comes with whatever is in the 13 and should not be an issue. We'll see when I pull the cam cover in a few months.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
The Cyco pads are a good choice if your on a budget as they are much better than the material on the stock pads. If you ever thought of changing cams then go to the gear drive, your 2001 will most likely have a crank within spec.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts