Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'll have to add on. Had a few requests for what's on my bike. And what I use to camp. I'll open with the set up of the bike. I'll add the camping gear later. I'm still working 70 hours a week and working on my garage.

Bike. 2016 RGS.

Seat: P&A low solo with the Airhawk R
Airhawk R-REVB Cruiser R Large... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013RGDGQ8?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

This combo did me very well. Was able to ride all day with minimal discomfort. On the long haul parts of the trip I stop every 100 miles just to move around and stretch. I'm less fatigued at the end of a 600 mile + day. Without the Airhawk I would have had a sore ass. This combo is a very good option for thos with this seat and dont want to buy a comfy touring seat. That said. I do have a Hammock seat and lent that to Rick for this ride. Next year. I will use the Hammock. For me it's a better touring seat. Its wider and offers more support.

Windshield: Klockwerks 14" Sportflare.

Love this windshield. I've had it on the bike since a month old. I wear a Shark Evoline 3 helmet closed 99% of the time. No buffering at all. If I do make a quick run to the strip and no helmet I can wear my ball cap forward with no issues. Up to 70mph. Its probably not as good with rain as a taller more upright touring windshield but it looks a lot better. And does exactly what its intended to do. I'm 5' 10" long torso.

Bars: 12" Factory 47 Signature bars.

Most of you have changed yours out already. And have what's comfortable for you. Thos with stock height looking to improve your ride. This height is great for me. I'm not a fan of the bars over the fairing. (Appearance only) but for the long haul. These height and width bars make a huge difference. They're 36" wide. Tip to tip.

Foot Boards: Defiance.

I list these. Because they're better than stock. More foot room and more area to fidget while you're riding the extra miles. Longer and less vibration than stock. They are more firm under your foot and transfer less vibration. And they look badass.

My suspension is stock in the rear. Premium adjustables and Progressive monotubes up front. Down 1"

Tire repair: Stop and Go 6000
Stop & Go 6000

Just in case. To make us a little less reliant on road side assistance. Didn't need it. Take the time to watch some videos. Has it's own pump too.

Tent Kelty Circuit 2
https://m.fieldandstreamshop.com/p/kelty-circuit-2-person-backpacking-tent-16kelucrct2pbckpccat/16kelucrct2pbckpccat
Great little tent. Takes about 2 minutes to put up. A few more to pack up. It's a 3 season tent. When I bought it it was 179.00. I see it on sale online under 100 now. I'm 5'10" 230 pounds. I fit just fine. I put my boots, helmet, tour bag and coat in it along with me my sleeping bag and mattress. I'm not cramped at all. Have been in a few torrential rain storms in it and ner a drop ever made it in. It's a very will built compact hiking tent. Has one vent on the back side of the rain fly. The rain fly clips right to the straps the tent poles go in. The poles are aluminum and not cheaply made. My BIL bought a 50 dollar tent on Amazon. Night 2 this trip he snapped a pole. My motto. Cry once. Spend the money up front. Rick bought the Kelty Gunnison 2. 2 doors. Bigger rain fly. Beautiful tent. But a little larger to pack.

Matress: Thermarest Self inflating.
https://www.rei.com/product/829820/therm-a-rest-prolite-sleeping-pad?CAWELAID=120217890000830702&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=15725088160&CATCI=pla-430465164151&cm_mmc=PLA_Google|404_147788|8298200005|none|7f3074b4-62f9-4e9c-bcf3-56ad4b433efe|pla-430465164151&lsft=cm_mmc:pLA_Google_LIA|404_147788|8298200005|none|7f3074b4-62f9-4e9c-bcf3-56ad4b433efe&kclid=7f3074b4-62f9-4e9c-bcf3-56ad4b433efe&gclid=CjwKCAjwio3dBRAqEiwAHWsNVT9A6vmKt_tLjso8ubI2KDSeuKJi7CjgEpu3LpIREcqUPC1iJkskFRoCUhwQAvD_BwE

This little baby saved my ass, back, neck and trip last year in Alabama. But night 3 I was Fubar. Stopped at Dicks Sporting Goods. 79.00 later I was a shit ton more comfy. It has foam inside. When uh our open it up the foam expands and pulls air in. Just let it sit. I do add about 3 puffs to it and I'm good. I do not touch the ground. Bill thought he only needed a sleeping bag. Well before night 2. We hit a Cabelas so he could buy one. He got the same one. And was all better. You need one of these in your tent. Packs up very small.

Sleeping bag: Field and Stream Wisperlite semi mummy bag 50°
https://m.fieldandstreamshop.com/p/field-stream-whisperlite-50f-sleeping-bag-15fnsafswsprlt50fcsl/15fnsafswsprlt50fcsl

Nice light bag. If the temps dip near the 50s you zip it all the way up and you're good to go. It's not sticky when ya sweat. (Alabama in July) lol. Not a whole lot to say. It does its job. I like it a lot.

Lighting: with ceiling fan

LED Lantern, ODOLAND Bright Portable... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H1B6XWE?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Works great. If you dont leave it on all night. Uses 3 AA batteries. I left it on night one. Needed new batteries next day. When I shut it off at night. It lasted the rest of the trip. Fan is e ough to just move the air.

Camp Chair: Helinox camp chair
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ZGOWZQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_q9bPBbDT9T4XP

This little chair is worth the money. Found it elsewhere for 69 bucks. I paid the 99. No regerts.

Ya they have picnic tables. But they dont have a back to them. And they're hard. This little guy is awesome. Packs up small enough and is comfortable and it rocks back and forth. Dont know if its meant to or not. But it held up for me. A definite add on for when you want to sit back and relax after a long day riding.

Jetboil: Flash
Jetboil Flash Cooking System - Matrix https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07939L7Q7?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Best invention ever. 2 minutes and some instant coffee and you're on your way. They do make a coffee press so you can use regular coffee. I didn't bother this trip and was happy with the instant.
If you buy one online dont buy the fuel online. Go to a local Gander Outdoors or Cabellas. They sell it for 4.99. 100g. Online the shipping costs kill you cause its hazmat.

Bug control: Thermacell bug repellent kit.
Thermacell Camper's Kit : Mosquito...

Works 100% Not a bite while wearing it. Sat it next to me Rick and Bill at the outdoor movie. Great investment. I now use it around the yard at dusk when the skeeters are the worst. Packed plenty of refills. Only used 2 of the pads. And 1 fuel.

Fuel can: Reda 1 gallon fits in the saddlebag.

REDA Innovations Fuel Can

Saddleman liner made to fit with the Reda gas can. I kept my jetboil, fuel cans, and a few other things in it. Packed the Helinox chair on top.
Saddlemen 3501-0714 Saddlebag Liner... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005WXMSOG?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

I'll edit this first post. So check in for updates.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Wow. Checking this on my phone. Will look at it closer tmrw on computer.
Thanks for the info.

Any pics of all this and your other stuff packed on the bike? Like with saddle bags and TP open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Wow. Checking this on my phone. Will look at it closer tmrw on computer.
Thanks for the info.

Any pics of all this and your other stuff packed on the bike? Like with saddle bags and TP open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all in here. My clothes are in the 4 side pouches on the Kuryakyn Ultra tour bag. The left bag has the gas can, Saddleman bag and Helinox seat. The right bag has my rain gear, polish, rags and shower bag.

Kuryakyn Adult Ultra Tour Bag One Size Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GVBMDC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_a3dPBb436QV7N

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
My hat is off to you brother! How in the hell you can sleep outside in a tent, in the south during july. I can't comprehend it. I keep my house at 68-69 at night so I can sleep. Im outside all day every day in this heat and it takes its toll on me. No way I would want to spend my vacation sleeping in it.
More man then I am and I'm not ashamed to admit it!

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My hat is off to you brother! How in the hell you can sleep outside in a tent, in the south during july. I can't comprehend it. I keep my house at 68-69 at night so I can sleep. Im outside all day every day in this heat and it takes its toll on me. No way I would want to spend my vacation sleeping in it.
More man then I am and I'm not ashamed to admit it!
I spent most of my life outside working. Heavy highway construction. Asphalt work as a foreman. Doing a lot of manual work. Now I work in manufacturing and our plant hits 100 and is humid as fuck. Lol. It has to stay at least 85 due to our epoxy and resin winding process. But I sweat a lot better than I shiver. Lol.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I spent most of my life outside working. Heavy highway construction. Asphalt work as a foreman. Doing a lot of manual work. Now I work in manufacturing and our plant hits 100 and is humid as fuck. Lol. It has to stay at least 85 due to our epoxy and resin winding process. But I sweat a lot better than I shiver. Lol.
I guess brother. I can always put more clothes on, I can only take so much off!

I still have yankee blood after all these years living here. Hell I really only rode the bike 4-5 times this summer. Dam heat takes all of the fun out of it for me.Good news, relief is on its way in about 9 days!

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Nice thread.

I am a checklist guy to make sure I didn't forget anything.

I also utilize ditty bags that are labeled with permanent marker so I can quickly grab what I need. When full up camping touring I have utilized large dry bags on my sport/adventure bikes and moved to rear trunks and tour packs with dry bags strapped on the passenger seat.

I try and keep the lighter fluffier stuff up high and the heavy stuff equally distributed in the saddlebags to keep the CG as low as possible.

In the summer heat I liked to hammock camp.

On the lightweight bikes it was very important to only put the sleeping bag and pillow in the trunk to keep the front tire on the ground. LOL!

Some bikes you just have to put in the back of the truck. My hammock with sewn in bug netting.

Can you see me now?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I haven’t camped in several years. This thread is making me want 5o drag out all my old stuff & go!

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Glad this post is helpful and apparently motivating some to get out there. That's pretty fuckin awesome.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Because of this thread I've been starting my research for camping gear. And have talked the woman into giving it a try next year. So thank u for the review and set showing us ur setup

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts