Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of factors can influence your insurance costs. Thought I would share what I just learned regarding my circumstances/coverages/costs.

When I bought a new Sportster in 2009 I had State Farm for my truck so I called them to e-mail bike insurance to the dealer so I could ride. But...., two days later I switched to GEICO because they were a bit less than half what State Farm wanted (don't remember exact figures). And when my truck ins. came due GEICO was $112 per year cheaper so State Farm lost that also.

Now that I have a 2013 RGC ordered I decided to do at least a little checking on what ins. will cost for the RGC. My coverages are, basically, $100K/$300K, uninsured and underinsured, $200 ded. on comp. & $500 ded. on coll. I am 65, married, no ticket since 1982 and no insurance claim since sometime in the 70's.

For my circumstances & coverages GEICO wants $566 per year--that includes $2K worth of add-ons/mods.

For the same coverage Dairyland wants $585--but that includes $5K worth of add-ons/mods.

Also found out that here in KY my passenger is automatically covered up to my $100K figure. May be different in other states.

Both GEICO and Dairyland gave discounts for ABS and theft deterrent device that disables (ignition) the bike.

So, like it is often recommended, I checked some numbers and am happy with and will stay with GEICO.

Just wanted to share info as I have learned so much from this forum.

Louisville Joe

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Second what you found out. I switched from Dairyland to GEICO a few years back.

·
Super Moderator
9,908 Posts
Prefer Dairyland , they also offer for new bikes at $15 a year for three years , full replacement cost if the bike is totaled .. No matter what you paid for yours ..

Would not have Geico if it was free

JtB

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'm getting a quote from Dairyland now. Their web page asks if I've had a "drug and alcohol driving awareness program in the past three years?". There was a section on drug and alcohol in the MSF training required to get the Texas endorsment. Anyone know if this qualifies?

I'm paying $692 with Progressive so it's definitely time to shop around.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GEICO vs Dairyland

Prefer Dairyland , they also offer for new bikes at $15 a year for three years , full replacement cost if the bike is totaled .. No matter what you paid for yours ..

Would not have Geico if it was free

JtB
JtB, I specificially asked both GEICO and Dairyland today about "replacement coverage". Both companies told me they didn't have any such animal. Maybe you are getting better treatment being a long time customer. Or...., maybe their policy(s) has changed. Full replacement coverage would certainly be worth a bigger premium--if they would sell it to me.

Louisville Joe

·
Registered
291 Posts
Gonna throw this out there for you; I have Progressive and pay $611. Now of that roughly $200 is for the 1st 2 years of owning a new motorcycle if it is totaled, Progressive will pay to REPLACE the bike at current model year cost. After 2 years then that cost goes away and they will pay REPLACEMENT cost of the bike.

My bike is a 2011 and until the 2013's (2 years of owning my policy) they will pay to REPLACE my bike with a current model of the same type. I know Geico doesn't offer this and I might transfer to them after my progressive policy is 2 years old. Geico is currently my auto insurance company.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I'm getting a quote from Dairyland now. Their web page asks if I've had a "drug and alcohol driving awareness program in the past three years?". There was a section on drug and alcohol in the MSF training required to get the Texas endorsment. Anyone know if this qualifies?

I could be wrong, but I think that question is a round about way of inquiring as to whether an applicant has gotten a DUI.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I would not have GEICO, even if you Gave it to me Free.
From a Service member than was required to have Insurance (GEICO) when overseas in the '70s.

·
Super Moderator
9,908 Posts
I would not have GEICO, even if you Gave it to me Free.
From a Service member than was required to have Insurance (GEICO) when overseas in the '70s.
I had the same issue and it is why I said that .. For those that do not know , IIRC , GEICO ( government employees insurance company ) was started by a member of congress , who managed to monopolize the military personnel's insurance on military bases . they were as crooked as a congressman back then , and as far as I care will always be crooked

JtB

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just switched from Progressive to Dairyland. Progressive wanted to charge me double for going from an 07 Road King to a 11 Road Glide. Dairyland was about the same with the same coverage's that I had on the Road King (maybe even + some features). Never had to use my insurance on any bike so I have no comparisons for customer service.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Change every six months.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts