Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I left home Friday morning, in the rain, headed for Daytona. I was a fairly miserable trip down. Solid rain for about 4 hours, and then just intermittent showers and wet roads, for most of the rest of the trip. Developed a bounce in the front end on the way down, which turned out to be a cupped tire. I replaced it later in the week. When I got into town I met up with TracyB, FrankieB, and their friend Dennis. This was my first Daytona but they were old pro's. They made my week much more enjoyable. I hung out with them all week, and they treated me like they had known me for years. We had a great week, and I officially have 3 new friends. I showed up at Faststan's home that night after dark. He had graciously offered me a room for the week. This made the trip possible in the first place, and I'm very grateful for his hospitality. THANK YOU AGAIN. :D

Saturday was a weather repeat and we were in out of it most of the day. We still managed to take in a lot of vendors and see lots of nice bikes.

Sunday started a little wet but dried up a little later and turned out to be a overcast breezy day. We went to see "John Carter" late that night. It was OK. 2 hours I'll never get back though. :rolleyes:

Monday morning the sun popped and stayed out for the remainder of the week. It was gorgeous. :) I also had the pleasure of an impromptu photo shoot with American Bagger magazine. They were on the hunt for some bikes to shoot, and liked the look I had put together. Hard work finally payed off. We quickly headed down to the waterfront, and after a quick clean up, they put a big smile on my face. :D It was very cool. Magazine or not, I still had a blast. :cool:

I skipped the meet and great on Tuesday because I accompanied Tracy and Frankie on their photo shoot. They dropped everything to be with me for mine, and I wouldn't have missed theirs for anything. We had a nice ride 30-40 miles north for the shoot.

Wednesday was tire day, lots more site seeing, and walking. We had done quite a bit already, and my feet started to suffer. Good boots are good for riding and SOME walking, but not for all the walking we were doing. Take something comfortable. If you take in all that Daytona has to offer, you will walk quite a bit.

We had good meal after good meal in and around Daytona, 2 of them with Shrug and his wife. Great to meet them and hear a little more about his trip. They headed to Key West after leaving us.

In the midst of it all we saw too many bikes to count. Road Glides are definitely not a secret anymore. We saw one awesome Glide after another. Every kind of 2 wheel and 3 wheel mode of transportation you can imagine, half dressed woman, bike shows, Willie G. himself, lots of alcohol fueled craziness, a few trips to Destination Harley, some parts hunting, listened to Bad Company at the Iron Horse Saloon one night, and I'm sure several things I can't remember right now.

Oh yeah, I had the distinct pleasure of a passenger late in the week, when Tracy's beloved "Limey" died. Oil pump or something simple we all hope. She and Frankie were about to sadly climb into their pickup when I offered to give her a ride to dinner. I had the only two up seat in the bunch. Frankie was back on his bike before I even finished asking. I'm sure even though she wasn't on her own bike, it had to be better than resorting to the truck. We had fun just the same.

Saturday I headed for home and 9 hours and 600 miles later, I was home, in one piece. No thanks to the two tires/wheels that came OFF the left side of a tandem axle enclosed trailer just ahead and to the right of me. While traveling about 80mph on I95, a tractor trailer suddenly darted into my lane and I got off the gas long enough for another car to also pull over in front of me. As soon as it did, I saw the problem ahead. The front left tire of the trailer was wobbling wildly and about the time I really focused on it, it came off striking the tire behind it. It wobbled several times and also came off the trailer. First one hit the car in front of me and shot about 40 feet into the air. The next one passed in between me and the car in front of me. This all happened within just a few seconds and scared the crap out of me. As I passed the tractor trailer a few seconds later, he gave me a look that made me wander if he had intentionally pulled in front of me to block what he saw happening. Who knows :confused: The rest of my trip was uneventful and I still felt so good when I took my last exit, I think I could have turned around and driven back. Great week. Now its time to get ready for SWII. My razor tour pack, backrest pad, and solo seat arrived while I was gone and I got it all put together today. I replaced the stocks hinges and latches with black billet versions. I think it looks great. Pics to follow of Daytona and the tour pack.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Great report - thanks for sharing the good times!

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Nice write up..........Since it was your first, I'm glad you had a great time! I've been 5 times but every time I went by myself & just met people there. Glad your tire deal wasn't any worse.........That could have been bad!!
Looking forward to pics........

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Nice trip report. Makes me want to try and add this to my annual ride trips :)
I'm glad TracyB and FrankieB took good care of you happier still that those bouncing wheels did not impact with you.
See you at SWII :cool:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
pictures as promised

I'll do these a few at the time.
obsessed with chapstick. did this 1000 times in 7 days
nice RG
lots of this around
hey, he's ridin
not a RG but nice

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dinner view one night
lots of RG's present
Arlen Ness present
Sedona Blue also
nice tattooed denim RG

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
check out the monster rear tire
nice rear end on this one
even nicer. notice "tips appreciated" to apparently just stand there.
uh...this one not so much. fishnets are apparently pretty strong
Another FrankieB paint job

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TracyB's photo shoot
I've fallen and I can't get up :D
Frankie's RK
I thought this shot was kinda cool
I took advantage of the scenery

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A few more

BIG crowds all week
just me. looks too posed. oh well.
my new Razor pack was waiting for me at home. Ignore all the crap in my garage
and new Lepera solo seat
and Corbin back rest.
OK, I'm done for now. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
784 Posts
Tour pack came out awesome! By the way, I love the Sedona Blue Road Glide in the Pic! Nice meeting you bud :D Glad you made it home safely

·
Registered
278 Posts
Thanks for the pics! It's been a long time since I've been to Daytona, but it still looks like a great time! Lots of bling! Can you show some more shots of your new razor pak from the side. Interesting using it as a solo back rest. Bike looks great!

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Thanks for sharing! Sounds like a great time and you were in the best of company!
i just might have to go down there one of these years.
I think this year would have been the year to ride from Iowa to Florida due to nice weather. Usually its freezing this time of year.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
1,775 Posts
Glad you had a good time here and got home safe. You are going to love the 'back rest'. Bike looks great with the chopped tour pack.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Looks like a good time. Too bad about limey, hopefully something simple. Something to talk about down the road for storytime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 39 Posts