Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would post this and see what everyone thinks. Last week in August I was out for a ride with a friend of mine. I was leading and I had to stop quickly as traffic stop in front of me. Well my my friend didn’t and clipped the corner of the left saddle was he went by. Scratches from top to bottom. After compounding I was able to not totally remove them bit they are very hard to see. What I was left with was a lot of swirls and smaller scratches. Reached out to Phillyfan and this is the results.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Big shout out to Phillyfan!!! Told me what to get and walked me through it. I now have a better appreciation for what a pro detailer has to do to get these kind of results. If anyone is interested I used a Griot’s garage hd 3” orbital polisher. Blackfire finishing polish, first with a orange pad then a black pad.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
what scratch? lol

tried my hand at it awhile back and was amazed you could move paint around like that.

real easy to get too hot and burn the paint though.

looks great!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gotta tell you, that griots garage polisher works great. Almost fool proof. It might take a little longer than say a more powerful polisher, but for the bike it works great.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Thank you sir! One or two of the bike. Again a big thank you to Phillyfan you are the man!!! Wish he lived closer, have him do it instead LOL!
OK, totally off the subject you posted...but i am digging your front wheel. Is it the turbine from Harley? I would like to see a side pic. OK hijack over.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Great job man! Those pictures look great. 50/50 shots tell the true story.
Quality products and quality technique produces those results, all you brother!

Pretty sure when its time for Polish Angel you will be impressed!

Watch out now! Before you know it you will be polishing your vehicles and all of your friends bikes!

Anytime you make it down this way Rock, bring it over and we will do it up!

One other thing. During the polishing steps Rock sent me pictures of the progress. The polishing stage pictures you see are with products with NO fillers. That is pure paint. Big difference to get results like Rock got. True paint correction

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks bud,and thanks again for your help. I will definitely look you up when I come your way! Weather up here starting to get a little chilly may not be this year. Still not ready to ride yet

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Thanks bud,and thanks again for your help. I will definitely look you up when I come your way! Weather up here starting to get a little chilly may not be this year. Still not ready to ride yet
Keep working that PT brother. Shoulder surgery is one of the worst joint surgeries, the most painful also.

PT is so important.

Keep me posted

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Your right brother, this has been alot more difficult than I thought it would be. Hope to rehab enough to get one good ride in before the snow flys! Will be in touch

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
Keep working that PT brother. Shoulder surgery is one of the worst joint surgeries, the most painful also.

PT is so important.

Keep me posted
Plus 1 on the PT, slowwwww recovery....

Still doing PT 9 months later, slow and steady wins the race after rotator cuff surgery.

And yes, it still hurts

·
Registered
44 Posts
One scratch that I couldn’t make less noticeable . Also before and after of the fairing

Well Done....

I have many different compounds, polishes, waxes and cleaners from years of having show cars and bikes. You did a GREAT JOB! especially on black.

For stubborn I would actually use 1500 Grit Paper then 3000 Grit Paper then Fine Polish into Super Fine Polish into Wax then a Sealant.

Yup lots of work and its a passion more than a chore but the finish on all my Autos/Bikes are show quality even my daily driver is this way.

My wife says I do that to be able to stay in the garage for hours - YES SHE IS RIGHT! :grin:

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Well Done....

I have many different compounds, polishes, waxes and cleaners from years of having show cars and bikes. You did a GREAT JOB! especially on black.

For stubborn I would actually use 1500 Grit Paper then 3000 Grit Paper then Fine Polish into Super Fine Polish into Wax then a Sealant.

Yup lots of work and its a passion more than a chore but the finish on all my Autos/Bikes are show quality even my daily driver is this way.

My wife says I do that to be able to stay in the garage for hours - YES SHE IS RIGHT! :grin:
Never wax then sealant. Always sealant then wax.

Breaking out sandpaper on OEM paint is beyond risky. Paint readings should be taking before sanding, how many people have one of those??
Custom paint jobs, different story, more clear.

If someone buys a used vehicle, you don't know how many times that its been polished = how much clear is left. If some fool put a wool pad with a rotary on it before chances are not much clear is left. Hit it with the sandpaper and the party is OVER. Break out the check book because there is no turning back after its been burned thru.

Detailing is not all about polishing and protecting, it also involves preserving the clear and knowing when to say "Good"

·
Registered
44 Posts
Never wax then sealant. Always sealant then wax.

Breaking out sandpaper on OEM paint is beyond risky. Paint readings should be taking before sanding, how many people have one of those??
Custom paint jobs, different story, more clear.

If someone buys a used vehicle, you don't know how many times that its been polished = how much clear is left. If some fool put a wool pad with a rotary on it before chances are not much clear is left. Hit it with the sandpaper and the party is OVER. Break out the check book because there is no turning back after its been burned thru.

Detailing is not all about polishing and protecting, it also involves preserving the clear and knowing when to say "Good"
Actually I have a paint reader However that aside I also use it on my custom painted Bikes/Cars all of which have been in shows and won multiple Best In show paint, 1st Place Paint etc. Which I am very proud of, it is quite satisfying.

With regard to used versus new absolutely agree it is a risk to use even the finest grit of paper on used paint because you never know when the person(s) before you did. A new Bike or Car from showroom or Dealer to you, it is a very safe bet that the clear is intact and ok to work on. Now keep in mind regardless of HOW MANY COATS of clear you have, the idea behind even 3000 grit paper or 5000 or even 7000 grit paper is to ONLY and I stress ONLY take out the very minor imperfections. They are not a mean to an end.

I have put wax over sealant right before Shows and never ever had a problem. I alternate between them and everyone has their own rituals - its all about the finished product and how the bike looks when all done.

Some people even say they will clean their chrome with Easy Off when boot marks are on there to which I cringe, I have much better success with COLD pipes and WD-40 on a towel allowing it to sit on the boor mark for about 20 minutes and then a nice metal polish - never had the chrome turn or give me an issue.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts