Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done dozens of road trips. I've ridden 900 miles in a day, I've ridden in the snow and rain. I've ridden through the desert and mountains and camped on the side of the road at night. I've broken down in the middle of nowhere and I've almost run out of gas a few times. I've always done my road trips with friends. This time will be different because I'm riding alone. It's only a day ride but it's 650 miles. I've very excited about doing this on my own after 30 years of doing road trips with friends. I'm almost tempted to remove my stereo so I can enjoy the peace of being alone with the wind in my face and the road in front of me.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I do most of my long rides alone. I prefer it, because I never feel rushed nor do I feel anxious to get on the road.... I set the pace and it affects no one but me!
It's the most relaxing way to go IMO. Enjoy, Ride Safe!

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
Most of my trip to and from SWII this summer was alone about 4000 miles.

1. Don't remove the radio.
2. When you get tired, stop, rest, hydrate, pi$$ and then saddle up and carry on.

A long trip alone will help you to appreciate what you have, where you are going and how you will get there (not the current trip you are on).

Good luck , ride safe and have fun.

TAKE PICTURES!

·
Super Moderator
5,856 Posts
Enjoy your solo ride. They indeed are quite nice! Be safe and tell us all about it when you get back.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Headed to SWII. Gypsy Tour was passing thru St. Louis on Sunday. I figured I could wait for them, or just take off on Friday and go.

Basically, it took me over 1500 miles to go 300 miles up the Mississippi River to Shark Week II. I took the long way, riding solo. Sometimes I'd turn on the music, most of the time, I'd just "listen to the engine Moanin' out his one note song".

Clears the head.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Road tripping solo is nice, gives you a sense of (oh shit) I’m by my self. I kinda ride a little slower when I’m solo, don’t know why for sure. Perhaps it’s because I don’t want the ride to end?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I do most of my long rides alone. I prefer it, because I never feel rushed nor do I feel anxious to get on the road.... I set the pace and it affects no one but me!
It's the most relaxing way to go IMO. Enjoy, Ride Safe!
Ditto...and well said. Besides that, it can be a PITA riding with a group where everyone needs gas at different times.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I always ride alone not always by choice most of the time they say you ride too far .WHAT 500 miles a day is normal day. then it could be my personalty LOL or maybe they dont like sharks I would have it no other way.

·
Life Member With a Grey Beard
2,122 Posts
Props to you. I like to ride with friends, but one of my best rides was last year and it was solo. To and from Minnesota from SoCal. Something amazingly peaceful and relaxing to be on your own agenda. Yeah, there is maybe some risk in being alone (but are we really?). I think you'll have an amazing time.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Solo road trips are nice because you can pick your nose,. and flick the boogers with no worries of bothering anyone else :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Been planning a solo for myself just haven't been able to complete the task... Enjoy!

MyPhault
"Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window"

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Best of luck and safe riding. 90% of my rides are solo, as I'm an impulsive rider and commute with my bike to work from Apr-Nov. Planned events with friends are fun, too, but sometimes I just need to point my bike in the wind and go where the road takes me. Most of my riding friends can't handle that type of ambiguity nor appreciate my spontaneity. I hope you enjoy that ride, bazinga! Give us a full report and, as always, include lots of photos.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I've made several trips by myself. It's not my preference as I think the people you are with can make your trip more enjoyable.

But there are times when riding alone when you have Zen like moments where everything comes together and it couldn't be more perfect...

·
Registered
174 Posts
This past Friday 13th in Port Dover I headed out with the club I ride with. On the ride back it was sooo hot that I had to leave the group for a break to hydrate and cool off. Stopped of at Timmy's and after 30 min felt much better. Balance of the ride home was by myself and I set the cruise control put up my feet and enjoyed the ride. I have found that since purchasing the glide I have really enjoyed the solo rides. Have a safe ride Bazinga and enjoy yourself.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Ditto, I also ride cross country alone. It's great. Stop where and when you want without the gilt of offending someone else. Riding with friends is cool but riding alone is special. Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I'm glad I'm not the only one who enjoys this. All my friends think I'm nuts when I did a huge road trip last month solo. Did 8 states and over 3500 miles in two weeks.
Like others have said, it's great to go at ur own pace. If I see a nice stream and want to pull over and soak my feet. Or take a bunch of pictures. It's all up to me how I spend my ride.

I think it creates more of an chance to meet new people on your journey also. Because you won't be consumed with the party your with.

Solo and with friends are both great in my book. I wouldn't shy away from doing either. It's just a different ride.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts