Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I replaced the stock RGU handlebars with the Heritage style bars.
http://www.roadglide.org/showthread.php?p=423089&posted=1#post423089

Since I had the instrument bezel off, I opted to install my new Iron Aces Standard Mount and, my garage door opener.

I saw this method of installation in another thread on here so I cannot take any artistic credit. I have not found the original thread to link to but I will look for it in an attempt to give credit where it is due.

I already had the opener modified for use on my Street Glide that I just traded-in for the 2011 RGU. The opener was opened and a Harley Davidson Odometer switch (momentary style switch) was used.

The opener circuit board remained inside its stock housing.
The entire unit fit just fine into the instrument bezel housing when it was reassembled.

Here are a couple of pictures.

Instrument bezel out and garage door opener awaiting installation.
I have just installed the Iron Aces Standard Mount.

Hole was laid-out on the back-side of the instrument bezel.
I was surprised as easy as it was.

View of the odometer switch installed.

Installed back on the bike.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like the clean finish . . . what size drill bit was used?
Thank you.

I used a 25/64" drill bit.
It is an okay fit, not great.
The switch has flat edges on two sides at the ends of the threads, near the housing of the switch. These are to prevent rotation when properly installed. I did not have anything to make a square hole, or, at least flatten out two sides of the circle. The location of the switch has the housing sandwiched between the gauges. Once the rubber cover is screwed on, the switch housing will not rotate.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I did this about a year ago. Every time my bike goes in for service they try to use this to check my odometer setting. This really should have been where the odometer switch went!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did this about a year ago. Every time my bike goes in for service they try to use this to check my odometer setting. This really should have been where the odometer switch went!
Ha. +1.
I did not think about that.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
To drill a "square" hole you need to drill two holes with a bit that matches the width of the flat to flat measurement for the top and bottom of the opening. Use a Dremel or other rotary tool to cut the flats. A flat file will work if a Dremel isn't an option.
Or lay it out and use a Dremel to cut the shape.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts