Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few extra windshields so I thought I would do a little experiment with one of them.
This is a 12 Windvest that was damaged by the HD windshield trim that I had on at one time. I had some tinted plastic so I thought I would make some windshield extensions to the sides of the windshield.
After cutting & shaping the extensions to blend into the sides of the windshield I used stainless 1/4 x 20 x 3/4 panhead screws and acorn nuts to secure the extensions to the windshield.
I only took a short 40 mile test run but so far but the extensions seemed to provide extra hand protection but I'll need to put on more miles to get a real good evaluation.
Introducing the RG windshield x-tra wide.

Attachments

Reactions: madmat

·
Registered
329 Posts
Nice repurposing of materials :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
I think it's a great idea to have extra protection for the long rides. Good job.

·
Registered
491 Posts
+1 on the extra hand protection. Let us know how it goes after getting in some miles.

·
Registered
8,787 Posts
I always wondered why all the RG windows don't go out that far.
Does it increase to the air pocket size behind the window?

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think it would increase the air pocket some but I don't have any fancy equipment to do test. I haven't been able to test it too much because I had other things to do the last few days that didn't involve riding the bike but I will take it for a good run this weekend.
I too have always wondered why the windshields didn't extends out farther on the sides on the RG.
I don't think it will help much as far as rain is concerned because when it rains it pours in front and behind the windshield.
I think it will provide more wind protection and it may help with bugs and road debris hitting my hands, if it helps with buffeting then that would be a bonus too.

·
Registered
380 Posts
WOW. What a great idea on utilizing some old windshields. Let us know how it works.:D

·
Registered
329 Posts
I think it would increase the air pocket some but I don't have any fancy equipment to do test. I haven't been able to test it too much because I had other things to do the last few days that didn't involve riding the bike but I will take it for a good run this weekend.
I too have always wondered why the windshields didn't extends out farther on the sides on the RG.
I don't think it will help much as far as rain is concerned because when it rains it pours in front and behind the windshield.
I think it will provide more wind protection and it may help with bugs and road debris hitting my hands, if it helps with buffeting then that would be a bonus too.
Blue tape tufts of bright yarn on your helmet, jacket (torso), gloves, top of thighs, top of tank, etc....then have someone video-record you at speed from the side, 3/4 front....or selfie stick!!!:D

·
Registered
593 Posts
Ironmark, way back in june you posted about added wings on your windshield. Did you come to any conclusion on the benifits of them ? Or are you going to start manufacturing them. Staush

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Great idea. I have thought the same thing. Why didn't one of the manufacturers make an optional windshield that followed the couture of the fairing around. Looks simple enough. Looking forward to your report back in.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The windshield extensions work real good IMO.
Most of the airflow that hit the hands is moved outside the end of the handlebar grips.
I like the mod it makes for a more comfortable ride for me.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just a update on this mod I did awhile back. I have been very happy with this mod, I still have it on and I have no reason to remove the windshield extensions. The extensions provide a lot more hand protection from wind and road debris and they work well all year around. I would recommend this mod to anyone that wants that little extra protection for their hands. JMO :wink:

·
Registered
593 Posts
Windshield mod

Iron Mark, bought some 12"x12"x1/8" from estreetplastics on Amazon or Ebay. Fashioned the shape from the Sanchos Wings and shaped to fit with a heat gun. Have had them on for about a year. With the raised handle bars they stop almost all the wind on my hands. Great mod. Thanks for the idea. Staush

Attachments

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Iron Mark, bought some 12"x12"x1/8" from estreetplastics on Amazon or Ebay. Fashioned the shape from the Sanchos Wings and shaped to fit with a heat gun. Have had them on for about a year. With the raised handle bars they stop almost all the wind on my hands. Great mod. Thanks for the idea. Staush
Those look great Staush, I'm glad you like the idea. With all the different types and styles of windshields out there I think that it is better that we just fabricate the extensions to fit our bikes windshield. The materials don't cost too much and with a little time and patience you'll come up with something that works, I do recommend that if you try this mod that you use a old windshield then if all is good you can install the extensions on the new windshield.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts