Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I have to say that I been wanting to do this for about a year or so.Ever since the CVOs put speakers on their bags.

The lids came assembled in a double packed box ( very nice). See the photos below. I have removed the speakers and took the lids to my local painter. I have paint left over from painting my fender.

There is a nice option included with j&ms. The speakers are mounted to a cover that has 2 tweeters on it. I assume this cover you do not want to paint. However, if you want to paint your speaker cover there are 2 extra covers that are included with the kit. You can paint those and replace the tweeter covers. Very nice! The lids seem to be solid quality and are primed and ready to paint. My only question now is should I stick with my 250 w. amp or go for the 500 w amp. Some advice from john might help!

I'll post some photos of the lids once I get them back. At this point I may not install myself. I have to have some other work done by the dealer, so I may have them do the install.

·
Super Moderator
12,428 Posts
They look good, wondering why would you want the dealer to do the install, did they already quote you a decent price, or are you waiting for the price to decide?

·
Super Moderator
4,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it's mostly a mater of time. Lately I've been lucky to get Sundays off.

If I can't get it to the dealer that's another story. I've also got some additional electrical work I want done. I would prefer they do it :)

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
i have the 500 watt amp and 6 speakers from J&M.
At first i had the fairing speakers and lowers, and really liked the power and sound running separate channels.
I added the saddlebag subs this winter, so i ran the front 4 speakers in series on the front channel of the amp, and the rear channel is now running the saddlebag subs.

I go back and forth with being ok with the fronts running in series, and then wishing i had a separate amp for the subs, and the 4 channel amp running both the upper and lower fronts.

I know Chainsaw is running upper and lowers on a 250 watt amp, and he loves it and says it is loud!
i was a little conservative with adjusting the gain on the amp for fear of distortion or blowing the speakers, and wish the fronts were a little louder, but, really, they do sound good.

So i guess im saying stick with the 250watt 2 channel amp since you have it already, and wire the speakers in series and adjust your gain up.
You can always buy a 500 watt 4 channel and sell the 250 watt 2 channel if you dont think its enough for you.

·
Super Moderator
4,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PS- Did you get the in series wiring kit or do you know how to wire in series?
Its all plug and play and pretty straight forward to do it yourself.
i installed mine and i have never installed a stereo or anything.
Thanks that helps just got the wiring that comes with it. Direct from the amp I guess.

·
Super Moderator
4,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ImageUploadedByMO Free1372605186.124456.jpg

Well I finally got my J&M speakers lids on and all I can say is wow! I ended up getting the 500w amp and I can honestly say that I keep the volume down around 1/4 because it gets too loud while I'm driving.

Sound is great. It's like having surround
Sound on your bike while riding.

Highly recommend if you are looking to add speakers! Again j&m has great customer service!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts