Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Way back in 2007 when I was single the first time I got a bug up my ass to be a triathlete. I spent hours every day riding a bicycle and toiling in a gym, and I was in silly shape. When I got remarried, she wasn't into all that, and I let it fall by the wayside.

Now that I'm living in nirvana here in the glorious Blue Ridge, I wanted to start riding again. My 20-year-old bike was in need of serious TLC, so I decided to take the plunge on a new bike. I'm not crazy about riding on the street, even here where there aren't anywhere near as many people as there were in the DC area. So I figured a decent mountain bike would fit the bill.

Enter the Trek X-Caliber 8. Big fun. It'll handle more than my 54-year-old broken body can do, and it's comfortable as hell. Looking forward to bashing around on this thing.

Any other MTB guys here?

Tire Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Wheel Bicycle wheel

·
Premium Member
Bastardized 2011 FLTRU
234 Posts
Yup, I’m with ya on the MB riding, although I’ve fallen off this summer due to the heat. It’s either go ride the bike early in the AM; or go ride the motorcycle. The motorcycle usually wins! But now that fall is coming I’ll be riding the bicycle more for sure. I had a full suspension enduro Kona with Fox components and it was the shit! But here in south texas our trails are more XC and the Kona was a bitch to peddle up the hills. So I recently sold it and went back to my Giant Hardtail which eats up the hills………. As you probably know, or soon will know, doing 20 miles on the trails is tougher than doing 100 on a road bicycle. Plus it’s a helluva lot more fun. I’m 56 and ride with my youngest son whose 19 and a college soccer player, so yeah he kicks my ass. I ride Harleys with my oldest son whose 24, so riding the MB is my thing with my youngest. Plus it keeps me somewhat fit and although I pretty much eat as much as I want, and drink way too much beer, the bicycle keeps me around 160 on my 5’7” frame. Although right now I could stand to lose about 10 lbs.

Congrats on the new bike and you’re definitely in the Mecca for riding it so I’ve heard.
Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One of the things I like about this one compared to my old 3500, is that I can lock out the front suspension for when I'm riding on pavement, so I'm not wasting energy with the fork compression. I'm too broken to do the crazy crap that'd require a full suspension bike.

Funny thing is that I've been riding a Peloton for 2 years, and I'm in good shape, but man.....riding an actual bike outside is a totally different experience.

·
Premium Member
Bastardized 2011 FLTRU
234 Posts
For sure; fork lockout is cool, as is the 52 tooth eagle gear on the new bikes. When riding it in this granny around the house you think there’s no way you will need it out on the trail. But when you do need it it’s usually a last resort kinda thing, and then it feels like your peddling an extra 100 pounds!!!

·
Registered
2020 Zephyr Blue / Black RGS stage 2 TQ cam,V&H power duals, Ventilator Ciro bag blades,Kahuna heate
1,227 Posts
I was a runner in another life my last 10 k I walked up to check my finish stats a friend was there all excited “ Hey Vince you came in forth in your age group,! “
” How many in my age group ?
” Four!” He answered
I really dig the bike peddle thing I have a 10 speed I ride now that my knees are shot.There was a triathlon went by my home last Saturday That is an entirely different level. I respect anyone who competes and trains at that level. Well done

·
Registered
6,959 Posts
I'm not crazy about riding on the street, even here where there aren't anywhere near as many people as there were in the DC area.
I don't blame you for not riding on the street in fact I'm surprised there are not more bike/vehicle accidents than I hear about. I went to a sporting clays shoot in Poolesville (an area I'm sure you are familiar with) a couple Sundays back and there are so many road bicycles on those back country twisty roads I hate driving over there.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't blame you for not riding on the street in fact I'm surprised there are not more bike/vehicle accidents than I hear about. I went to a sporting clays shoot in Poolesville (an area I'm sure you are familiar with) a couple Sundays back and there are so many road bicycles on those back country twisty roads I hate driving over there.
I lived in Poolesville/Barnesville for 10 years and shot at the IWLA there many times.

The bicycle traffic around there is ridiculous. I've seen traffic at a near standstill on River Road while a pack of cyclists take over the entire road. The amount of hate for cyclists amongst the locals is off the charts.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Congrats on the ride @'05Train. Living up here in the great white north (British Columbia) you almost have to be a MTB rider as this is the mecca. My last ironman was 10yrs ago but I still have my Pinarello Dogma road bike which I will probably never get rid of (sits in my sons bdrm; since he's older and rarely comes home anymore from the big city). In the garage I have 2 Rocky Mountain bikes (both full suspension) where I can lock out both front and rear shocks. I have also run 19 marathons and feel I have only one more left in me and would like to do it within the next 2yrs before I turn 50. I'm glad to see some of you have other two wheeled toys besides the glide.

PS... totally hear you about the Peloton; have one also and its way harder outside than inside

·
Premium Member
2010 FLTRX, 96 No Mo, Plain Jane
1,749 Posts
Train
that bike is so bitchin, I use to ride mountain bikes until, I got covid....
Now my lungs won't have anything do will good physical riding, I run out real quick.
So I sold my trek back to the bike shop, and gave my specialized to my daughter, to ride around camp during during motorcycle races,
The about 6 months ago, I saw 2 Motobecane bikes in the trash, so me being me, I snatch them, it turns out that these 2 bikes were made in France, so I decided to overhaul them, they were two different frame sizes, one fit me really well and the other one was too tall to straddle, my son is 6 ft 2 and even he said it was rather tall Frame,
It had been more than a year and a half or so since I had been on a bike but I said what the fuck I'll give it a try, well nothing really changed good not do any of the black trails I'll had to stay on all the green trails, and I barely made it through that. But I told my son I want to do it again, I figure it can either make my lungs stronger, or cause me to have a heart attack one way or the other,
The main point is I know my bikes.....and yours is badass!!!

My son and i ridin the trailes....
Bicycle Wheel Tire Plant Smile

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
Also recently got back into the MTB scene myself to get in shape for racing Hare scrambles.. I went with a Trek Farley 5 Fat Tire Bike reason being I intend to ride it year round I have a set of studded tires on standby for the white stuff looking forward to it..
Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Wheel Tire Crankset

·
Premium Member
'19 RGS - '99 Heritage - '03 Aprila Falco
116 Posts
I've got an older Rocky Mtn full suspension. And like noted above can lock out both front and rear when I'm on the smooth stuff. Living in rural WA between two volcano's there is so much riding to be had! Need to do it more often, but always have a blast. Just wish I were still in my military shape so I could ride longer....hahahaha.....at 57 not doing too bad tho!

Keep grinding brother and have a blast!
Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
The only time I ever used my front lockouts, is when I were going up a trail.....
And they worked out really well, just for that specific need

·
Registered
8,158 Posts
Former avid bicyclist. Like Motorcycles, I had several. A beach cruiser, BMX, full suspension mountain bike, basic road bike. The 25 year old full suspension aluminum mountain bike is hanging from the rafters.

I am considering a peddle assist fat tire bike for when I retire so I can explore places that won't allow my current motorcycles

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
That's the baddest ass, big wheel I ever seen, I think I was six or seven when I first got my big wheel, flat spots on the front wheels from the hard plastic, the little red plastic seat for adjustment, it got lost right off the rip. But that was also about the time that I got a skateboard, and the mother fucker had metal wheels on it no joke....
Not to give my age away.....
But those red pajamas.....really make the pic.....🤣🤣

So i got to wondering if we could add maybe a weedeater motor to the back, to turn the rear wheels, I got a spare one if you want it....🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
2020 RGL
412 Posts
Yeah I once did triathlons as well (20 years ago). Finding places to safely train on my road bike became a issue. After getting hit ( hit and run at that) I gave it up. I do have a newer road bike that I ride only on bike trails and enjoy getting out on it when I can. I'm still an avid runner and have completed a marathon in all 50 states. Im now working on my second go round of doing all 50.
Nice mountain bike you can't go wrong with a trek. Enjoy!!

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Way back in 2007 when I was single the first time I got a bug up my ass to be a triathlete. I spent hours every day riding a bicycle and toiling in a gym, and I was in silly shape. When I got remarried, she wasn't into all that, and I let it fall by the wayside.

Now that I'm living in nirvana here in the glorious Blue Ridge, I wanted to start riding again. My 20-year-old bike was in need of serious TLC, so I decided to take the plunge on a new bike. I'm not crazy about riding on the street, even here where there aren't anywhere near as many people as there were in the DC area. So I figured a decent mountain bike would fit the bill.

Enter the Trek X-Caliber 8. Big fun. It'll handle more than my 54-year-old broken body can do, and it's comfortable as hell. Looking forward to bashing around on this thing.

Any other MTB guys here?

View attachment 448967
You lost me for moment when you wrote, "I got remarried". In all seriousness, congrats on the new bride and mountain bike!

Cartoon Facial expression Vertebrate Organism Yellow

1 - 20 of 27 Posts