Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got a bagger! The bike needs a little TLC, but not much.

I noticed the gauge glass has what looks like many micro/small cracks.

Can the glass be polished or replaced?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Normally caused by using the leaf blower or other high pressure air. I have heard of some folks using very fine steel wool and polishing compunds but would be careful as the lens i believe are plastic.
Mike

·
Registered
483 Posts
if you watch Ebay you can pick up take off gauges , take your time and you will find a good set priced right . Any gauges up tp 07 should be the same other than the speedo the plug changed in 04 I thing .

Eagle

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
That I do not know. Never have tried. Probably the same as the speedo and tach. Peel back the metal ring with a small screwdriver and put a new piece in I would guess.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mine too. After looking at the gauge out I the sun, I noticed it's not cracks. Its a film that built up over the years. And it cracked. I have an 04. Theres a video on YouTube showing how to pry the bezel off and clean the inside. I gave it a try when I had to polish the inside of my headlights. Total pita. As stated before you can find some take offs for around $200. I will be looking to replace mine with black when I paint my inner.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey thanks guys I'll watch that YouTube video and maybe give it a shot. In the meantime I'll keep my eyes open for some EBay gauges. Probably price some new ones also.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's interesting! Pretty good price too.

Wonder how hard it is to get the glass and just replace yourself?

Nandez71, since you had them apart once before. Did you notice how the glass was attached?

·
Registered
43 Posts
The lens is held on by the crimped bezel. It can be pried loose and just pops off. I tried to do like the guy on tube but the housing itself on mine is quite brittle, being a lil older. And was making g horrible cracking sound. I decided to just wait and get some newer gauges. $150 to send yours in Or around $200 for a '' fresher set''

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey guys think I scored! Bought some dealer takeoffs on Craigslist for 150. All six gauges like new in boxes from an 06 RG. Hope they fit!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts