Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple months ago, I installed a new set of Ohlins (HD159/#3-3 from Motorcycle Metal) and have ridden a bit since. The big test was my trip to Sturgis and back logging about 3500 miles shortly after the Ohlins install.

I have to say that the bike rides dramatically different. No more bottoming out, relatively easy over some of the hardest bumps and best of all, smooth and stable ride.

For some reason, the procedure for adjusting the shocks wasn't quite translating in my brain. I did the best I could and rode out with what seemed to be a nice difference.

Once I arrived at the rally, I came across the guys at Ohlins and kudos to them, they took the time to explain everything to me and helped me with the set-up, pre-load and dampening. The ride back was even better and I'm glad to report that this was definitely the way to go for me in helping me get my bike riding how it should.

The Ohlins guys took the time to help me out in the middle of all their installs and customer service to people who were there buying at the moment. Can't say enough about how great their customer service was to me.

I don't have any experience with any of the other products, but, if you decide to go Ohlins, you will get a great ride and great support from a company who stands by their products!

E :cool:

· Registered
476 Posts
I've been considering Ohlins for a while now and have been listening to everyone's opinion of them. Seems like everyone is pretty happy with their performance overall.

Couple of quick questions for you:

1. Were you running 2 up or solo? Or both?

2. What weights are you setup for?

· Registered
6,649 Posts
Just did the same shocks last week on mine. I had Howard build them for 2up 70% of the time. Like you, I was a little overwhelmed at first with the settings but a buddy of mine is real good with stuff like this. We did some measuring and set the sag/preload then set the dampening right in the middle. We're just at the 500 mile mark on these and will do some more riding but we're pretty damn close to being perfect on them as it is. Much better ride and handling.

· Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been considering Ohlins for a while now and have been listening to everyone's opinion of them. Seems like everyone is pretty happy with their performance overall.

I am set for solo 70% and two up 30%. I am 250, my wife 140. When I went to Sturgis, I rode solo with about 70lbs of gear.

The Ohlins guys were saying my set-up was good but that I could have probably gone with the next higher spring rate and been fine as well. Riding two up, I will have to give it a little more spring load than they like with those springs, but, they said my set-up should do fine if I am not riding two up all the time.

· Registered
492 Posts
Glad you're happy with those. I need to call Howard soon.

· Registered
476 Posts

I am set for solo 70% and two up 30%. I am 250, my wife 140. When I went to Sturgis, I rode solo with about 70lbs of gear.

The Ohlins guys were saying my set-up was good but that I could have probably gone with the next higher spring rate and been fine as well. Riding two up, I will have to give it a little more spring load than they like with those springs, but, they said my set-up should do fine if I am not riding two up all the time.
Thank you for the extra input!

· Registered
304 Posts
I have 35000 miles on mine that I got from Howard and still absolutely love them. When I blew up my motor a few months ago I rented a couple of bike while waiting for mine to be ready and it reminded me just how great the Ohlins are..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.