Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Done: Stage 3.8 w/ Bassani B4

Dropped off the FLTRU at the dealer today. Parts are in:
- HD CNC ported heads
- 259E cams
- SE adjustable rods
- SE clutch spring
- Bassani Road Rage II B4
I call it Stage 3.8 because I'm keeping the stock pistons.

Already have the Zippers AC and HD pro tuner. Hope to have new dyno results by next FRI. DOOF

·
Chief Safety Ossifer , CEO Doofus HD
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bike is home in my garage. It was trucked to my house as one of the 3 conditions I put on the dealer after the soap opera in the other thread. So here goes:

GOOD NEWS:

1. The bike starts - I know, low expectations
2. At 70 MPH (per GPS) in 6th gear = 2750 RPM
3. The giddy up in 6th is remarkable when u grab a handful
4. That performance was my main goal
5. SE clutch spring is tighter but nicer control

BAD NEWS:

1. Pulling away in first is LOTS of top end rattle like a 1935 John Deere with no oil in the engine
2. Sitting in neutral = LOTS of lower end rattling -- I'm "guessing" the 259E can be noisier than stock?

Input welcome from all u gear heads !!!! Thnx in advance, DOOF

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
When doing a cam in any twin cam motor it will always make more noise or "chatter" more. I've done cam's in about 4 twin cam harley in the past few years, all have made more engine noise after the install, NOT to worry, everything is fine, remember its a harley!

IT'S WHEN THE BIKE RUNS SMOOTH AND QUIET IS WHEN YOU HAVE A REAL PROBLEM lol, kidding. My 12 fltrx engine makes more noise even with the smaller 254e cam, just how twin cam engines are.

·
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GTK ! Thnx

When doing a cam in any twin cam motor it will always make more noise or "chatter" more. I've done cam's in about 4 twin cam harley in the past few years, all have made more engine noise after the install, NOT to worry, everything is fine, remember its a harley!

IT'S WHEN THE BIKE RUNS SMOOTH AND QUIET IS WHEN YOU HAVE A REAL PROBLEM lol, kidding. My 12 fltrx engine makes more noise even with the smaller 254e cam, just how twin cam engines are.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Anytime, enjoy that set up, it's sounds fun to ride!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Enjoy Doof ~ Agreed on the noise once you are pushin those valves & valve springs closer to their limits ~ they will protest a bit ~ on the bottom ~ it could be your newly tuned ear :)

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Sitting still the motor might vibrate or shack a tade do to the larger lift cams and more motor work.
But to rattle when taking off could be detonation pinging. Just My OP.
Other than that I"m glade they took care of you.
Enjoy your new motor.

Bike is home in my garage. It was trucked to my house as one of the 3 conditions I put on the dealer after the soap opera in the other thread. So here goes:

GOOD NEWS:

1. The bike starts - I know, low expectations
2. At 70 MPH (per GPS) in 6th gear = 2750 RPM
3. The giddy up in 6th is remarkable when u grab a handful
4. That performance was my main goal
5. SE clutch spring is tighter but nicer control

BAD NEWS:

1. Pulling away in first is LOTS of top end rattle like a 1935 John Deere with no oil in the engine
2. Sitting in neutral = LOTS of lower end rattling -- I'm "guessing" the 259E can be noisier than stock?

Input welcome from all u gear heads !!!! Thnx in advance, DOOF

·
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thnx for that info !!!!!

Enjoy Doof ~ Agreed on the noise once you are pushin those valves & valve springs closer to their limits ~ they will protest a bit ~ on the bottom ~ it could be your newly tuned ear :)

·
Registered
1,288 Posts

My 103" makes a ton of noise with stock cams. My first twinkie with stock cams was dead quiet. With the woods tw-6hg's my old valve train was louder than this 103". That said, even with the woods cams and hot rod heads that bike using stock lifters was never excessively loud, nor did it EVER start up with valve clatter like the new bike... I'd blame the noise on the lifters. I think in general Harley makes quiet ramp cams because the majority of their customers would complain about the noise...

Of course as soon as I say that I second guess what Harley is thinking because these new bikes make a huge racket when compared to the early twincams and evo's...

·
Registered
51 Posts
I feel for you there.I have a bigger cam over stock in both harleys and i don't have those issues,but my softail chopper yes i know what you mean so i recently sent my motor to R/R to have them go through it and hopefully it will come back running smoother like the work they did on my harley's.

·
Registered
32 Posts
top end noise, here's a thought

a few years ago i had 259-e cams, bored to 103, 10.5 compression ratio, v&h pro pipe, etc in my 08 streetglide, and it ran strong with no noticeable top end noise. fast forward to now=i have a 2013 roadglide ultra with the 103 and now that we put the c&c ported heads, 204 cams, high ratio rockers in the motor, i'm noticing a lot more top end noise. one thing my streetglide didn't have is the fairing lowers which my roadglide does have. i'm sure that the lowers contribute to the perceived noise from the top end of the motor. oil pressure is fine, it doesn't overheat, so i figure everything is okay. someone else mentioned this differently, but i'll give it my shot anyway. "if it runs smooth and isn't making noise, then you're riding a friggin' goldwing.

·
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good info and thnx --since the bike got home I only got out one day for 42 miles. Since then its either been snow or the TONS of chemicals on the road or work keeping me from a good test ride. Fingers crossed for this weekend so I can provide a better report. DOOF

a few years ago i had 259-e cams, bored to 103, 10.5 compression ratio, v&h pro pipe, etc in my 08 streetglide, and it ran strong with no noticeable top end noise. fast forward to now=i have a 2013 roadglide ultra with the 103 and now that we put the c&c ported heads, 204 cams, high ratio rockers in the motor, i'm noticing a lot more top end noise. one thing my streetglide didn't have is the fairing lowers which my roadglide does have. i'm sure that the lowers contribute to the perceived noise from the top end of the motor. oil pressure is fine, it doesn't overheat, so i figure everything is okay. someone else mentioned this differently, but i'll give it my shot anyway. "if it runs smooth and isn't making noise, then you're riding a friggin' goldwing.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Doofus is the rattle you hear only at idle, typically a rattle at idle generally brings you back to compensator sprocket this is the time when you hear them and can notice it.

As far as the top end noise, you maybe able to get rid of osme of that noise, depending on whats been done. SE Pushrods are set at 15 flats a lot of guys go to 18 flats or 3 turns.

Putting in travel limiters help when the lifters bleed off at low rpm / idle. Are you sure the rocket boxes are positioned and clearanced correctly. One quick way to check is put a zip tie around the bottom collar of the spring and see if it touches the rocker box anywhere. Intake :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Doofus did you happen to check to see that you got Tapered Adjustable Pushrods vs. standard pushrods. A lot of times the standard ones will rub and make some noise in the tubes. In those cases can champfer the tubes a bit. When you pull the pushrods out you will be able to see where they were rubbing if this was the case.

·
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No. I had not thought of that -- thank u for that !!! Will check and advise. We used SE Perfect Fit Rods.

Doofus did you happen to check to see that you got Tapered Adjustable Pushrods vs. standard pushrods. A lot of times the standard ones will rub and make some noise in the tubes. In those cases can champfer the tubes a bit. When you pull the pushrods out you will be able to see where they were rubbing if this was the case.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts